PDA

View Full Version : 1991 prostar problems

madman49
07-06-2009, 10:15 AM
went this week and had problems with boat. ran fine when just 4 people in boat, at 25-35mph, but when tried to run wide open boat would run fine for about 30-45 sec, and then seem to starve for fuel, and die, so then i would pull back on throttle and boat would pick back up. At this point i would just run 25-35mph and have no problems, and that was the case. Next day kids wanted to tube and wakebrd, so i thought 25-35 would be just fine, as i started to pull, first was fine for about 7-10min, then i started to turn and go over wake, boat started to do the same as day before, so we quit. Talked to some lake people and i got alot of answers, the first being spark plugs, so i changed the next day, same result, then i heard fuel pump, did not change. Someone said look at springs in distrubtor, so i did, they looked like 2 little springs, and they were pretty clean. I am just looking for help on this problem, as i have always had a good time with the boat, just need to fix, i am pretty mech. inclined, so i could change some parts if i knew kinda where to start. Thanks to my Mastercraft family in advance

boyd
07-06-2009, 10:38 AM
You may have answered your own question. You said "starving for fuel".

Have you changed your fuel filter lately, is your flame arrestor clean. It may be starving for air.

I would check the in-line filter first. It is the line (stainless color) going into the carb, on the front of the engine. It's a big brass nut going into the carb. If you take that lose there is a piece of screen in there that could have some trash in it. When you would go faster it would shoot the trash into the screen and cut off the fuel supply.
If no trash is in there work back to the pump and filter.
I'd also check by looking into the carb when it's being ran to see if gas is spraying into the carb. If you are getting gas in the carb, then you can look elsewhere for the problem.
It's just a process of elimination.
Start at the carb for gas and work your way back to the fuel tank for the problem.

Boyd

madman49
07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
thanks for you help, i know this may sound stupid but what is a flame arrestor?, anthoer thing someone told me float level, any thoughts on this?

flipper
07-06-2009, 12:45 PM
thanks for you help, i know this may sound stupid but what is a flame arrestor?, anthoer thing someone told me float level, any thoughts on this?

On the intake where the air filter would be on a car

TMCNo1
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
It should look something similar to this, under the cover on top of the carburetor. Clean it good, scrubbing with a stiff brush with most any solvent, even gasoline, let dry and replace.

Bert
07-06-2009, 01:22 PM
went this week and had problems with boat. ran fine when just 4 people in boat, at 25-35mph, but when tried to run wide open boat would run fine for about 30-45 sec, and then seem to starve for fuel, and die, so then i would pull back on throttle and boat would pick back up. At this point i would just run 25-35mph and have no problems, and that was the case. Next day kids wanted to tube and wakebrd, so i thought 25-35 would be just fine, as i started to pull, first was fine for about 7-10min, then i started to turn and go over wake, boat started to do the same as day before, so we quit. Talked to some lake people and i got alot of answers, the first being spark plugs, so i changed the next day, same result, then i heard fuel pump, did not change. Someone said look at springs in distrubtor, so i did, they looked like 2 little springs, and they were pretty clean. I am just looking for help on this problem, as i have always had a good time with the boat, just need to fix, i am pretty mech. inclined, so i could change some parts if i knew kinda where to start. Thanks to my Mastercraft family in advance
Keep it simple, change fuel filters first.

madman49
07-06-2009, 02:24 PM
the filter for the carb, where would i find one of these, i know i did take it out, and it looks clean but i know it could be something small, i did not know if this was a locally bought part., and on the fuel line itself is there one here to? thanks for all help, and i did know the "spark arrestor" just always called it a breather, and this may be the problem as the "felt" from my cover is coming loose, maybe sucking into carb at high rpm?

TMCNo1
07-06-2009, 03:52 PM
the filter for the carb, where would i find one of these, i know i did take it out, and it looks clean but i know it could be something small, i did not know if this was a locally bought part., and on the fuel line itself is there one here to? thanks for all help, and i did know the "spark arrestor" just always called it a breather, and this may be the problem as the "felt" from my cover is coming loose, maybe sucking into carb at high rpm?

You don't have to replace the flame arrestor, just clean it.

Keep it simple, change fuel filters first.

You should have three fuel filters,
One in the water seperator/filter housing cannister on the bottom on the starboard stringer here in the gold housing,
One on the bottom of the fuel pump on the port front corner of the engine,
And a screen in the brass fitting on the front port side of the carburetor where the fuel line attaches,

madman49
07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
on the gold filter there is many ins/outs here, which one and will i drain the tank if i take off the bottom screw? also the fuel pump is a carter, is this the one in the pic, and how do i clean this filter?, the last i have handled, i took it off this afternoon and inside i found a piece of teflon tape big enuff to see, and some small particles in the screen. i will clean this as well, but i guess i should do all at once, and the one in the gold, is this a replaceable one, or just clean? thanks for all help so far. Also when i filled the tank this weekend the guage only reg. 1/2 is this a easy fix?

TMCNo1
07-06-2009, 08:59 PM
One thing you may want to do, if you don't have a owners manual is to download or print off the one here, for your boat and study it, http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/1991-1993_OwnersManual-PS190-PS205-ProSport205.pdf or this one, http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/1991_1993_Prostar_Manual.pdf.
Compare what you have against what is shown in the manual and get proper parts accordingly. Don't just order stuff online blind, but visit a MC dealer or call the facility CSR you are going to purchase from and also consult with them on what you have/need.

The bolt on top of the gold housing, under my black cap drops the can and the filter is replaced by this new one and gaskets, from a MC dealer or
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RACR11T or you may have the disposable type canister type filter shown here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1063

The bolt/screw on the bottom of the fuel pump loosens the bracket that holds the small can up against the pump housing and you then drop the canister that has a filter/ gasket that is replaced by this one, from a MC dealer or http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3943

As far as the fuel tank sending unit, you'll probably have to take the old one out and decide which of the top two here, will replace it, with the proper one from a MC dealer or http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1088