PDA

View Full Version : Help with sound system

helton333
07-06-2009, 10:58 AM
OK, so I am requesting a fairly educated look since we have been round and round with it. Basically, tower speakers have been cutting out (both of them) - they are the infinity 6000M system - at first, we thought it may be amp, replace amp - NOPE. Then, must be head unit as it did get quite wet when a roller came over the windshield (now you know I have a PS 190), NOPE, still cuts out.

Here is what I am left with - it can either be the speakers themselves - maybe going into some kind of protect mode - they will not cut out at low volumns - only mid to high - it doesn't take loud to make them cut out - just moderate. My in boat Polks do not ever cut out - but they aren't going through an amp.

OR, it is hooked up to an Optima blue top - We only go out for an hour or so at a time since the boat stays at our lakehouse - so it stays charged. Would something about the sheer capacity of one battery cause this? even when charged. Any help would be appreciated (I am to that, I know you all know this - point of if it breaks one more time......going to cost me $55K to fix it, if you know what I mean)

TallRedRider
07-06-2009, 01:07 PM
You need to check your ground wires for sure. This kind of thing is exactly what you see with a faulty ground.

I assume that the power wire has a fuse in it? What kind of fuse? Make sure it is connected tightly.

Next time you are on the boat and it happens, then look at the amplifier...See if the turn on light (almost every amp has one) goes from green to red, or if it goes out altogether. Most amps that are going into protection mode will show a red light. If you are losing power altogether, then it will just go out.

Wouldn't hurt to take the battery to a shop and have them load test it. A bad battery would cause the amp to go into protection mode also, but it still might have enough juice to turn the engine over.

Does it happen with both the engine running and when it is off?

helton333
07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks - will do.

helton333
07-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I will have to check and see if it does it with or without the motor running. It may just be with motor running. What might that tell us?

btriantos
07-06-2009, 01:51 PM
What is the RMS capacity of the tower speakers? How wany watts are you sending to them? My first thought would be that it is a huge wiring problem. I would send a clean speaker line directly fromt the amp to the tower speakers and see if the problem goes away. If so, you need to check for some short in your speaker wire run. Speakers don't typically have protection features like you describe, so immediately I think amp clipping. A short in your speaker wires will also put an amp in this protection mode.

helton333
07-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I am using the speaker wire that comes with the speakers - it has a 2prong end on the end of each and a rubber shield that envelopes the connection. Both the ground and the hot that service the amp are the larger diameter (almost pencil sized) coppers.

btriantos
07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
ok, but is the speaker run through the tower, around the boat, etc.? If so, get new speaker wire, and run it directly from the tower speakers to the amp. test it...what happens? problem go away or still there?