PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform come's off!!!!

meg
07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
My girlfriend was wakesurfing this wknd and she looked down and swim platform was gone!!! (06 X30). We did find it and get it back in the boat which is VERY hard to do in 50 ft of water and the break occurred at the bracket to the platform (where the pins are) not the boat. I had 1/4 in bolts which were too small that previous owners had in (platform had a ton of play) so I put in 5/16 lock nut and it appeared perfect. What happened is after 2 years of that much play (1/4 bolts) it grinded the brackets down and weakened them and 1 bracket broke (the other is worn). When the 1 side broke it dragged the platform and the pressure caused the screws to the other bracket to came out of the actual platform (this bracket was still connected), This is my theory anyway!!! Any input is appreciated but all I have to do is order 2 new brackets, pins (going with the official 1's) and the screws to go in the platform. My question is on the screws into platform what is the best way to assure they are in correctly (holes could be stripped or too large). Will marine epoxy in the holes be adequate and the proper way and is this someting that I could to do? (dealer 2 hours away).
If epoxy is the way to go do I put the screws in right after putting the epoxy in the holes?

Thanks Everyone and this is a great board!!!

bobx1
07-06-2009, 03:45 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30474&highlight=dowel

TallRedRider
07-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Whoa!

Need pics for sure.

XPC Sealman
07-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Time for the Current OE folding upgrade.

meg
07-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I ordered the brackets-any advise on the best way to rescrew the screws back into the platform (fiberglass)? Refill with fibergalss or eboxy

thanks

TMCNo1
07-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I ordered the brackets-any advise on the best way to rescrew the screws back into the platform (fiberglass)? Refill with fibergalss or eboxy

thanks

Clean the stripped out holes good with acetone, let dry, apply some resin in the holes with a Q-Tip, fill the holes with a wad of resin saturated fiberglass mat and after it has set up, drill a small pilot hole and reinsert new stainless screws.

jkski
07-07-2009, 09:16 AM
A good epoxy should should fill the holes easily and provide a solid base for the screws to adhere into.
Another option would be to epoxy in some inserts and then screw into them.

meg
07-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Another dumb question, how long should I wait to let it dry?

kdr
07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
This happened to me last night. Apparently, the holes that the pins go through had morphed from circles to ovals that were big enough to allow the pins work their way out. I stepped on the platform and off it came. It ripped all the screws out of the side that was still secured to the boat.

OhioX14
07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
A good epoxy should should fill the holes easily and provide a solid base for the screws to adhere into.
Another option would be to epoxy in some inserts and then screw into them.

Inserts sound like a GREAT option as long as there is room for them. Then you could bolt on with machine screws and lock washers (all stainless items of course). Great idea!