PDA

View Full Version : Water in ski locker

Hunterb
07-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Hi all,

I have been breaking in a new to me 1993 Prostar 205. I really like the boat but have been experiencing a strange problem with it. The ski locker seems to stay quite dry while the boat is in the water and we are skiing\boarding\tubing (kids). Then when I go to pull it out of the water a bunch of water appears in the locker. It seems to just appear in the locker. There is always some water in the bilge when I'm using the boat, but none in the locker until I put it on the trailer. Weird. Does anyone know how that locker is designed? There is a plug between it and the bilge, which has a cork in it. Is that the only place that water can enter the locker?

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Bruce

BriEOD
07-06-2009, 09:43 AM
There should be two drains. One on the deck of the boat in the walkway and one between the locker and engine compartment. My guess is water is getting through that cork.

Hunterb
07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Two drains? Hmmm. I only seem to be able to find one, between the bilge and the locker. Is there any way for water to enter the locker at the front somehow? It doesn't seem likely but it seems that when the boat is tilted way back, when on the ramp, that water appears in the locker. I did find an old thread about sealing up the hole and the surrounding plate between the bilge and the locker and may try that.

Thanks for the reply.

Bruce

russlars
07-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Two drains? Hmmm. I only seem to be able to find one, between the bilge and the locker. Is there any way for water to enter the locker at the front somehow? It doesn't seem likely but it seems that when the boat is tilted way back, when on the ramp, that water appears in the locker. I did find an old thread about sealing up the hole and the surrounding plate between the bilge and the locker and may try that.

Thanks for the reply.

Bruce
Water can enter the ski locker if your heater core is leaking or if you are taking water over your bow on turns in rough water. My hunch is that your bilge water is entering the ski locker when the boat is put on the trailer due to the bow being lower on the trailer. The first thing I would do is make sure that the plug between your bilge and locker is sealing tight and then check for other sources of water intrusion.

cf_koch
07-06-2009, 03:35 PM
we had water accumulating in our ski locker when we first picked up our Maristar. It tuned out that one of the clamps on the hose leading to the heater was loose and any time the engine was running it was spraying water into the bilge and it would run to the locker whent the boat was at rest. I tightened the clamp and have not had a problem since.