PDA

View Full Version : Sub Woofer

ggrubb
07-06-2009, 01:24 AM
I have an '08 X35 and my tower speakers sound great while running the boat, but there is a problem after about 20-30 minutes while beached. After I run my stereo on aux. for about 20-30 minutes on aux. they start to crackle. Is this a battery issue or an amp issue? I appreciate any advice.

hawaiianstiln
07-06-2009, 02:10 AM
well, usually if you hear a crackle, that's moisture in the lines somewhere. Othere's may have some different cuases as well on here, but just saying. Do you take your boat out a lot? Do you put the cover on it with wet carpet, etc...???

Where exactly do you live and do you have lots of moisture out there.

ChrisConn Inc.
07-06-2009, 04:37 AM
I had the same issue with my boat. I recently brought it to a custom stereo shop and was told it was due to a lack of power. They installed two more batteries(4 total) and so far I haven't heard any cracking noises. I've only been out once since the upgrade so I can't be 100% sure this resolved anything. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm running 4 tower speakers 6 interiors and 2 subs on 4 amps. I added the extra sub and amp with the battery upgrade. I had the stereo pumping for over 2 hours with out the motor on and it sounded great. Adding an additional 12"sub really boosted the poor bass on the boat. 10" sub is not enough for an x45.

bxroads
07-06-2009, 08:26 AM
10" sub is not enough for an x45.

Not true.........

ttu
07-06-2009, 10:24 AM
i had the same problem with mine on a 07 x2. i contacted jl audio and they gave me the number to the company who sells mc all their audio gear. at first they said i needed to go thru the dealer but when i told them the dealer was 100 miles away they said if i would prepay for a new one and return to them the old one they would refund my money under warranty.

super great company to deal with.

Seano
07-12-2009, 11:41 AM
YOur batteries are low, when the stereo starts to crackle the amplifier are not getting the recommended power. I have done this time and time again in my garage. Try it then put a charger on your batteries and it will instantly change the sound! I have 2008 X2 with all the speaker and two subs

JimN
07-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I have an '08 X35 and my tower speakers sound great while running the boat, but there is a problem after about 20-30 minutes while beached. After I run my stereo on aux. for about 20-30 minutes on aux. they start to crackle. Is this a battery issue or an amp issue? I appreciate any advice.

Check your battery voltage before and after it starts to crackle. When the voltage drops, the amp draws more current in order to develop the same amount of power and that makes the amp run hotter. This compounds the problem of power/current draw and at a certain point, the output falls off and some characteristics of the output stage change, such as when the amp starts clipping. This causes the amplifier to lost its ability to dampen the movement of the speakers and when this happens, the speakers' excursion becomes excessive and they pop.

Now- not beong able to see exactly how your system is installed, it's possible that you have loose/dirty connections or your power wiring has issues. Make sure the wire gauge is sufficient, any ring terminals have been crimped and soldered, your grounding is perfect and your charging lead is adequate. The head unit should be grounded to the same point as the amp(s) and any other pieces in the audio system.

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I had the same issue with my boat. I recently brought it to a custom stereo shop and was told it was due to a lack of power. They installed two more batteries(4 total) and so far I haven't heard any cracking noises. I've only been out once since the upgrade so I can't be 100% sure this resolved anything. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm running 4 tower speakers 6 interiors and 2 subs on 4 amps. I added the extra sub and amp with the battery upgrade. I had the stereo pumping for over 2 hours with out the motor on and it sounded great. Adding an additional 12"sub really boosted the poor bass on the boat. 10" sub is not enough for an x45.

That is a lot of batteries, what type did you install that required 3 besides the house/starter? I use 3 total for a 2500 watt system and have the same capacity for listening.

Did you notice the boat listing?? I added weight to offset on the other side.

JimN
07-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Did the shop do anything to help the alternator charge all 4 batteries? If not, they'll present a difficult load and the alternator will die an early death. The amps can't draw current from the batteries and they can't maintain a decent state of charge without the alternator's input. If the current draw is excessive, the alternator will never keep up without overheating and the batteries won't charge fully. Granted, the extra current available from 4 batteries is great but both voltage and current are needed for the amps to do their job.

RaeRay
08-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I have six batteries the stock two and four others for the system alone. I installed a two bank onboard charger to charge the four new batteries. I have two batteries wired together with battery issolators on each bank.

ChrisConn Inc.
08-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Did the shop do anything to help the alternator charge all 4 batteries? If not, they'll present a difficult load and the alternator will die an early death. The amps can't draw current from the batteries and they can't maintain a decent state of charge without the alternator's input. If the current draw is excessive, the alternator will never keep up without overheating and the batteries won't charge fully. Granted, the extra current available from 4 batteries is great but both voltage and current are needed for the amps to do their job.

I didn't know this and I will ask the stereo guys about it. They are supposed to be one of the best shops in my area. They do most of the custom stereos for Eliminator boats.
Thanks for the heads-up.