PDA

View Full Version : New fuel sending unit 93 190, always reading full

jake
07-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Put in the new/upgraded fuel sending unit from DIM, when I hook it up it always reads full. Any ideas? I'll hit DIM up Monday, but customer service not open over the holiday weekend.

This is the part

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=153260

JimN
07-06-2009, 12:37 AM
It should have come with adjustment instructions. If not, the empty and full adjusters should be marked- find the depth that you want to correspond to empty (remember to leave some extra so you can always get back to the dock) and set that first. Then, immerse it at the normal depth and set the full indication. Re-check the empty setting and if it's OK, a dab of paint will keep the screws from moving.

jake
07-06-2009, 08:26 AM
It should have come with adjustment instructions. If not, the empty and full adjusters should be marked- find the depth that you want to correspond to empty (remember to leave some extra so you can always get back to the dock) and set that first. Then, immerse it at the normal depth and set the full indication. Re-check the empty setting and if it's OK, a dab of paint will keep the screws from moving.

JimN: I did attempt to calibrate it. This is a product from Centroid Products, it does not have set screws, you calibrate it with a rare earth magnet. Instructions say it comes calibrated from the factory, only reason you should have to reset it is if you trim length (which I didn't do). I tried the calibration instructions, but no dice. It pegs the meter full as soon as the key turns on, even though there is only about a quarter tank of gas. Instructions say the meter will go to full, then drop back down to correct level.

mayo93prostar
07-06-2009, 08:39 AM
jake, I just changed the same thing in the same year boat. the wires are backwards and I had to swap the black and pink wires by cutting them and reconnecting them to opposite colors. I found this out by testing with a couple wires with alligator clips. check how your colors line up at the two pin plug connector, the are probably wrong. I also had a ground wire from the filler neck that was not included in the new sending unit and I connected this to the ground wire in the wire harness. I had to adjust the full screw slightly to get the correct level to read on the gauge. yes, it does go full first and then comes back to actual level. Mine works very well. good luck. pm or post if need more info.

jake
07-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Mayo: this is helpful. Will check the wires later today, but this sounds like the answer. Can you clarify where in the wiring harness you connected the extra ground wire? There are two wires in the connector, one is a the Send/POS, other is NEG. Did you splice that extra ground into the NEG line on the sender?

Was sort of wondering if that extra ground was needed for with the new unit?

mayo93prostar
07-06-2009, 08:54 AM
not sure if it is needed but I figured if it was there, I would keep it. It makes sense that it grounds the filler to the fuel via the metal tube. I connected the ground wire to the wire harness in the boat, not on the sending unit. I did it with an inline splicer for trailer wiring in the black wire about 12 inches back from the sending unit plug. this way if I ever have to replace sending unit or remove gas tank, the ground wire is not attached to the tank.

JimN
07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
JimN: I did attempt to calibrate it. This is a product from Centroid Products, it does not have set screws, you calibrate it with a rare earth magnet. Instructions say it comes calibrated from the factory, only reason you should have to reset it is if you trim length (which I didn't do). I tried the calibration instructions, but no dice. It pegs the meter full as soon as the key turns on, even though there is only about a quarter tank of gas. Instructions say the meter will go to full, then drop back down to correct level.

If it doesn't have set screws, they changed it because, as you can see, the adjustment instructions are on that link in two places.

jake
07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
They changed it. The set instructions that came with it from DIM are for set screws, but the manufacturer calibration instructions are for a rare earth magnet, which comes with it. No screws on this unit.

jake
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Have been away on business so not able to try switching the wire order, but spoke with Vince at DIM and with tech support at Centroid, they both said the wires need to be switched, so I'm guessing that is the fix.

jake
07-21-2009, 07:38 PM
So after a few gyrations, got it working. Turns out I had a bad unit. The new one was also wired backwards so had to switch the wiring on a second sender but now all is well. Working fuel gauge.

Vince at DIM was great, but I have to wonder why they are shipping out senders when they know some of them are mis-wired.

On the plus side, I can remove and reinstall my gas tank in about 3 minutes now...have that down pat.

Jesus_Freak
09-17-2009, 05:32 AM

I was about to purchase the same unit from MCOC. After reading the above post, I realized that I just may need to reset the screws. I did not employ the "dab of paint" method. Anyone else had to reset theirs?

On the plus side, I can remove and reinstall my gas tank in about 3 minutes now.

That is hilarious.

jay
07-15-2010, 12:41 AM
I have a 93 S&S with a bad sender. Does anyone know what the OEM part is off hand? I would like to order one without removing the factory installed unit first...I do realize this is probably not going to happen, since the model # is on the tube itself but it is worth a shot if TT folks are familiar with ISSPro part number xxxx or model yyyy. ISSPro called me today and advised they did & do make the oem senders for MC, but do not cross reference their part models with boat mfgs and models. I know I am headed in the right direction...