PDA

View Full Version : Oil Questioin ......

boyd
07-05-2009, 11:25 PM
New to me boat, first oil change. 1992 Prostar 205. I drained the oil into a gallon jug. Only 3/4 of a gallon of oil came out. Changed the filter about 1/2 quart.
I thought it would ve been more. My question is this ..... am I running on 3 1/2 quarts of oil and running low all the time? I thought maybe there was another 1 1/2 quarts in there and when I added the new oil would be a slight grayish color since it was mixed with old oil.
HOwever, it was very clear and after 7 hours of use, it still is. My oil pressure guage is reading 50-60. When I put new oil in I put 4 quarts and it read high so I drained 1/2 quart.
SO, I guess I only have 3 1/2 quarts in there. Could my dip stick wrong? The motor looks great and everything looks normal.
YEs, the drain line was running on the bottom of the boat and draining down hill the whole time. Comments .......

Would you leave it alone or add another quart ?

BOYD

hawaiianstiln
07-06-2009, 02:14 AM
I would get an oil pump (manual or air compressed) and try and suck the rest of it out. I would assume that 92 205 still took about 4.5-5.5 quarts.

mayo93prostar
07-06-2009, 08:25 AM
what year and model? Your profile says 91 prostar. If so, it should take 5 quarts with filter change. TMCNo1 has stated that on is 89, the oil level reads incorrectly and he made a custom mark to reflect full. Most engines in this time frame are 351 ford V8s and they should have 5 quarts in them, as far as I know. I have owned a 82, 87, and now a 93 and they all have had 5 quarts of oil and read correctly on the dipstick.

Sucking the oil out of the oil drain hose makes it faster and helps ensure you get most of it. However, if you warm it up good and let it drain for a while, most will come out. This is what I do.

boyd
07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I havent' updated my profile. It's the same engine and my 91 always held 5 quarts.
It's a tough choice on what to do. Dipsticks usually don't lie, but then again neither do empty oil pans.

BOYD

boyd
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Called Skidim,,
They said Indmar made about 10 different dipsticks for that motor. Several didn't take into account the engine tilt. He said put 4 quarts in, mark the dipstick with a file, put in another quart and mark it with a file so you will have your marks on the dipstick of high and low.

Boyd