PDA

View Full Version : A good friend and my boat mechanic.. Now a Hero

Monte
07-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Friday morning I was cleaning out my garage. All of the sudden we started seeing a bunch of volunteer firefighters driving down the road. That is rare because we live at the very back of the neighborhood there are no outlets beyond us. There had to be 15 or so. Then came two ambulances and the portable rescue boat. Of course my first reaction was HOLY SH!T something big is going on. Then they all turn around and converge on my buddies house. I started thinking holy crap. Something has happened to Wayne. He is always working on something down on his dock. I take off across the street to see that Wayne has a small boat towed onto the shallow point at his neighbors house. He had been out working on his boat and watched the boat sink and throw the occupants. He did what any one of us would have done. He jumped in the boat and went out to help them.
The story is pretty funny from there and we can laugh about it now because nobody got hurt. THis guy bought the boat two days before this maiden voyage. There was a hole in the front of the boat that the seller told them never touched the water. That is until you put four 350lb min people on a 14 foot fishing boat rated for three people and 450lbs:rolleyes: I talked to the lake commission officer later in the afternoon when I went to get my Moss lake registration for the year. They gave the driver a ticket for being 584 lbs over weight8p I didn't ask if they had weight the occupants, but that is a pretty darn accurate weight:confused:
Any way I wish I had thought to bring my camera, but I was more concerned about my buddy.
Here is the write up in the paper..
http://www.shelbystar.com/news/boat-40177-water-campbell.html

trickskier
07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Friday morning I was cleaning out my garage. All of the sudden we started seeing a bunch of volunteer firefighters driving down the road. That is rare because we live at the very back of the neighborhood there are no outlets beyond us. There had to be 15 or so. Then came two ambulances and the portable rescue boat. Of course my first reaction was HOLY SH!T something big is going on. Then they all turn around and converge on my buddies house. I started thinking holy crap. Something has happened to Wayne. He is always working on something down on his dock. I take off across the street to see that Wayne has a small boat towed onto the shallow point at his neighbors house. He had been out working on his boat and watched the boat sink and throw the occupants. He did what any one of us would have done. He jumped in the boat and went out to help them.
The story is pretty funny from there and we can laugh about it now because nobody got hurt. THis guy bought the boat two days before this maiden voyage. There was a hole in the front of the boat that the seller told them never touched the water. That is until you put four 350lb min people on a 14 foot fishing boat rated for three people and 450lbs:rolleyes: I talked to the lake commission officer later in the afternoon when I went to get my Moss lake registration for the year. They gave the driver a ticket for being 584 lbs over weight8p I didn't ask if they had weight the occupants, but that is a pretty darn accurate weight:confused:
Any way I wish I had thought to bring my camera, but I was more concerned about my buddy.
Here is the write up in the paper..
http://www.shelbystar.com/news/boat-40177-water-campbell.html

Did that inclued the weight for the cooler of beer??? 8p

JohnE
07-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Atta boy Wayne. We'll add that to his legacy.

I met him a few years ago - great guy.

flipper
07-06-2009, 11:06 AM
That's a pretty bad feeling seeing all that going to a friends house. Glad it all ended well

Jesus_Freak
07-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks John.........Oh, you mean the other Wayne.

Seriously, great news that no one was hurt!

TMCNo1
07-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Tell Wayne he's a good man!

Monte
07-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Sadly enough full beers don't float:( You should have seen all the crap floating in the water. I cannot for the life of me figure out how they got so much crap on the boat:rolleyes: Besides the occupants:rolleyes:

Monte
07-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Leah found it online, I called him and asked if he had read it yet. He said awww Shiat no man... I don't think he likes the notoriety.. That doesn't mean I can't walk up and say SAVE THE WHALES:D

Monte
07-06-2009, 02:46 PM
That's a pretty bad feeling seeing all that going to a friends house. Glad it all ended well

My heart sunk when they started running down behind his house.. I seriously figured he was doing some wiring on his dock and had gotten electrocuted... Glad I was wrong

TMCNo1
07-07-2009, 09:19 AM
quote=Monte;611909]Sadly enough full beers don't float:( You should have seen all the crap floating in the water. I cannot for the life of me figure out how they got so much crap on the boat. Besides the occupants[/quote]

I just knew too much ballast would sink a boat someday!:rolleyes::D