PDA

View Full Version : Battery Question

dpolen
07-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I had a close call this weekend with the boat having a tough time turning over as we scrambled to get back to the dock with a big storm rolling in. I added a small stereo amp to my boat this year to power some tower speakers. After playing music at a slightly louder than reasonable level for about 1.5-2 hrs, battery was obviously pretty tired. I have a WalMart battery that has served my boat well for maybe 2 seasons now...never had an issue with it. If I were to upgrade to one of those Optima Bluetop batteries, will it likely hold a little more juice than what my current one is storing, thus helping to eliminate the scare that could have forced me to sleep on the couch for a couple weeks? I didn't think I was drawing enough juice with the stereo to warrant a dual battery setup....thoughts?

Thanks!
Doug

Good news is that I'm not sleeping on the couch and the wife is very proud of my seamanship...I was rewarded handsomly after the fireworks last night. Would like to keep it this way.

JimN
07-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I had a close call this weekend with the boat having a tough time turning over as we scrambled to get back to the dock with a big storm rolling in. I added a small stereo amp to my boat this year to power some tower speakers. After playing music at a slightly louder than reasonable level for about 1.5-2 hrs, battery was obviously pretty tired. I have a WalMart battery that has served my boat well for maybe 2 seasons now...never had an issue with it. If I were to upgrade to one of those Optima Bluetop batteries, will it likely hold a little more juice than what my current one is storing, thus helping to eliminate the scare that could have forced me to sleep on the couch for a couple weeks? I didn't think I was drawing enough juice with the stereo to warrant a dual battery setup....thoughts?

Thanks!
Doug

Good news is that I'm not sleeping on the couch and the wife is very proud of my seamanship...I was rewarded handsomly after the fireworks last night. Would like to keep it this way.

You don't need two batteries if this is a rare occurrence but running the motor every half hour isn't a bad idea. Idle won't charge it- you'll need to run it at about 2000 RPM for a while to really help. You may need a battery with higher reserve capacity- it'll be in the specs, rated for AH (Amp Hours).

dpolen
07-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Jim...You are definitely the man...Thanks for all your help!

Looks like you're about to hit that 6000th post, I'm confident many, many others will say thanks for all your help over the years.

Eagle Lake Rebel
07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
My '07 came with the Blue Tops. On my second set, cannot recommend them. If the replacements weren't free I would have gone to something else. I didn't abuse the batteries at all. My buddy has a '08 Xstar and his are starting to flake too. Most folks I've talked to arn't happy with theirs (blue,red,yellow top) either. I talked to my dealer about it and he also agrees that they don't seem to have the a$$ that the standard deep cycle lead acid batts do. Before you pony up the +$200.00 price tag check around and get other references pro and con on the Blue tops. When I do have to buy new batts I'll go back to the lead acid Interstate deep cycle batts that never let me down on my other two boats.