PDA

View Full Version : 99 Prostar 190 gauge problem

apexer
07-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Need help,sometimes the gas gauge reads wrong,somtimes the oil presure reads wrong,somtimes the Amp reads wrong,somtimes the water temp reads wrong and sometimes the clock wont work and somtimes they all read wrong,where to start,thanks guys

Footin
07-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Bad ground run to the gauges.

JimN
07-05-2009, 10:29 PM
If you have a wide, flat black plastic box under the dash, follow the ground wire and make sure it was upgraded. They had a recall on that the first year and if the dealer didn't do it/the original owner didn't get a message or didn't take it in, it needs a better ground. IIRC, it needed to be disconnected from the MDC box, the ground wire cut and a new one spliced onto the harness (crimped and soldered), then run to the battery negative. All grounds reference to the battery negative, not the dash or the block. Use 14ga or 16ga (14 is better).

First, disconnect the battery and unplug the harness from the black box for a few minutes. Re-connect the harness and re-install the screw, reconnect the battery cable and try it. It may just need to be reset but if the ground hasn't been upgraded, do that/have it done.

apexer
07-05-2009, 10:40 PM
I notice a wire was spliced in to the black wire that goes to the box,the other end goes to a small block with about 10 other black wires.what now,Thanks

apexer
07-06-2009, 08:30 PM
anyone have a MDC box,sounds like thats it

ProStar Slalom
07-07-2009, 02:45 PM
anyone have a MDC box,sounds like thats it

Check with Jim or Chuck at BAWS. I had to replace the one in my 2001 a few weeks ago. I think I got their last one at the time, but maybe the've re-stocked. You won't find a better price.