PDA

View Full Version : Alligning motor

Betula7
05-26-2005, 04:43 PM
I've read on here, about people re-alligning their motor, but they really don't say how they've done it. I am going to have to do this, as I disconnecting my coupling and found that it didn't line up correctly. I can see how you can adjust the motor up and down, but I have to move mine side to side. I'm wondering if the nut that I'm showing in the picture has to be loosened off and then the stud banged back? And then you can move the motor sideways? This is on a 86' Powerslot.

martini
05-26-2005, 05:51 PM
That is one nut that you have to loosen. You will probably have to hammer it back into the hole a little to dislodge it from the pin. The other nut you have to loosen is on the threaded rod on the right of this picture. So the nut you are pointing to will move the engine left and right and the other nut, once loose, will allow you to move it up and down by cranking on that top nut. It takes only small movements to make up a lot of distance, so it is helpful to have 2 people doing it. Clear as mud?

Betula7
05-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Martini Thanks for the help.

martini
06-02-2005, 09:31 AM
your welcome, how did it work?

rem_pss308
06-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I changed my strut bearings a couple of months ago. When I put it back together I could not fit a .003 gauge anywhere between the coupling. Is this normal. Should I check it with a smaller gauge.

There is no vibration.

martini
06-07-2005, 05:03 PM
If you have no vibration, you should be okay.

Just in case...to check it you should have the coupler on the shaft unbolted from the transmission. I use a couple of zip ties to secure it enough so that the coupler will not fall off the end of the transmission, but leave enough slack to place a .003 feeler gauge between the shaft coupler and the tranny. Once you have established this distance, check all four corners to see if the feeler gauge fits like it should(meaning is it tight on one side, loose on the other). If you have less than a .003 out of aligment, you won't have any problems.

rem_pss308
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
If you have no vibration, you should be okay.

Just in case...to check it you should have the coupler on the shaft unbolted from the transmission. I use a couple of zip ties to secure it enough so that the coupler will not fall off the end of the transmission, but leave enough slack to place a .003 feeler gauge between the shaft coupler and the tranny. Once you have established this distance, check all four corners to see if the feeler gauge fits like it should(meaning is it tight on one side, loose on the other). If you have less than a .003 out of aligment, you won't have any problems.

Thanks Martini,

No one ever told me that I had to have it unbloted. I was checking it bolted up.

martini
06-08-2005, 02:35 PM
No problem, that's what this site is for.

Betula7
06-11-2005, 01:00 PM
your welcome, how did it work?

Hi Martini, I havn't been on the site for a while. The motor moved over easier than I thought it would. But after doing all that it still didn't get rid of my vibration. I have a vibration when I go straight and also when I turn right at approxmatly 1200 RPM. But there is no vibration to the left. After adjusting the motor, I think I made it worse because now there is vibration when I make a left hand turn. It was a very short test-ride as it was a little rough out and I was very low on fuel because it was the first time in the water this year and I didn't have time to get more fuel before testing it. And the weather has been so bad here (lots of rain) I havn't been able to do anything else with it. This weekend we're stuck in the city, but hopefully next weekend I'll get to try it out again.

Cloaked
06-11-2005, 07:21 PM
One cause or source of vibrations in a MC is the tracking fins. If one is out a bit it will give a vibration as well as a dysfunctional "harmonic motion" type sound at some constant speed. The vibration can come at various speeds and conditions.

martini
06-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Sorry been away for awhile....
Betula,
Have you made sure your prop shaft is straight? Prop is balanced? These could also lead to a never ending vibration problem. I had similar issues as you're describing, but changed the prop shaft, and prop and have had no more issues with regards to drivetrain harmonics. It doesn't take much to create a relatively significant vibration. I would certainly recheck the alignment and turn it by hand when out of the water and see if you can "feel" a point at which it might hang a little more than at other spots in the rotation. Good luck and keep us posted to your progress.

Betula7
06-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Martini
Retested the boat on this weekend and I did make the vibration worse as now I have a vibration when making a left turn. There is still the vibration when making a right hand turn and when I start up, again this is all happening around the 1200 rpm mark. There is no vibration at higher speeds. Last fall I had the shaft out to do repairs to the fiber-glass around the log (I think that's what somebody else called it. See picture.) So I had the shaft checked and it is okay, had the cutless bearing replaced in the strut at that time. The prop, we hit it on the trailor pulling the boat out at the end of last season. And it has been repaired. So I pulled the coupling apart after the test and found that it didn't line up with the motor, (even though I was sure it was lined up the first time I moved the motor) so I tried to move the motor over somemore but I couldn't get it to move towards the drivers side anymore. There is still room on the pins to move it over but the motor won't move. I moved the motor back to the left and then tried going to the right again but it stopped at the same place so now i'm thinking that the strut might have a slight bend in it. this is the 3rd summer for me with this boat and I haven't hit anything with it other then the trailer but I had the vibration before hitting the trailer. My coupling sounds a little different then yours as the coupling on the shaft side has a collar on it and on the other side has a recest for it to fit into. So when I'm lining up the coupling to the motor I have it is far apart as you see in the picture.

I did check the allignment of the tracking fins as suggested by Sporty, and found that the second one was out by a quarter inch from the first and last one. I checked this against another 86 MC that doesn't have any vibrations and his fins were more out of allign then mine so I don't think thats whats causing the problem.

I have tried the prop from this boat with very little difference in the vibration (last summer)

Any other suggestions?

JB3
06-28-2005, 10:32 PM
how do you check the tracking fins and how do you adjust them if necessary ?

Cloaked
06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
how do you check the tracking fins and how do you adjust them if necessary ?For the most part, the tracking fins should all line up within good eyesight. I'm sure there is a detailed manner to concock but hang an eye on them and look for a good alignment (3 in a row and ideally perpendicular to the bottom of the boat). You could hang a string line from the front one to the rear one and see how they look from fin to fin.

As for adjustment, there is none (on the models that I piddle with). I've had one to become misaligned (bent the crap out of it) and it's near hopeless to straighten one of those thAngs.... Replacement is about all I personally would suggest.

A misalignment created a dysfunctional harmonic sound (my term) at some certain speed.... along with a slight vibration that I could feel through the foot reat.

martini
06-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Bet,

It's frustrating I know. I can't think of anything else accept that if you have left the exhaust attached, it might be what is preventing the engine from moving like you want. It might be worth disconnecting the mufflers and seeing if that will allow you more slack so-to-speak.

Well, I too have a vibration problem now. Haven't been to the board in a few days. Hit some debris yesterday on the lake. It didn't seem that bad, but probably hit it in a thin spot on one of the blades. It's very noticeable at all rpms. Off it comes and on goes the old one to see if that is the issue. If not, I'm chasing either bent prop shaft or engine problems. I don't think it is the engine as when I have it in neutral it revs freely and no changes in temperature or oil pressure have been noticed.

Whatever, it is the nature of the beast. I can't complain, it has been very reliable thus far. I just don't want to deal with it mid summer, as I am sure you are sick of it as well.

Betula7
07-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Martini
Sorry to hear about your problem, hope it's not serious and that it is only the prop that needs to be repaired.
As for my problem it was the left rear motor-mount that was rusted up. So I had to remove it and clean it up and reinstall it. The coupling is very close to being lined up. I ran out of time so I couldn't complete it this weekend. Hopefully i'll get it at the beginning of next weekend because i'm starting my holidays. Thought I'd post some pictures of what the motor-mount looks like taken apart, and how I did it.

Betula7
07-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Motor-mount pulled apart.

Betula7
07-05-2005, 12:48 AM
The pin that holds the large pin

Betula7
07-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Lifting the motor

Cloaked
07-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the pics.. Keep us posted please? :cool: