PDA

View Full Version : Is my transmission slipping?

NoMoreBeggin MC
07-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Alright over the past week I put a new engine in my 82 stars and stripes. I also pulled the old flywheel off and had some new teeth put on it. We went out and ran around for about 10 hours to break it in. everything went pretty well. We kept it under 3000 rpms for the entire time, took the boat out and did the first oil change. We went back out on the 4th and were running around pushing the boat a little more. At around 3000 to 3500 rpms the boat wants to surge a few hundred more rpms without moving the throttle any further. It sounds like something isn"t catching inside there. There was also lot of traffic out on the lake so it was quite choppy, but I believe its pretty hard to get this prop to come out of the water. Also I had 6 more people with me so we had a good deal of weight on board too. anybody have any ideas? Man I hope I dont have to rebuild this tranny too

André
07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Obvious but still,oil level is OK ?
You have to check it hot right after stopping the engine...I think.:o

Chicago190
07-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Obvious but still,oil level is OK ?
You have to check it hot right after stopping the engine...I think.:o

Correct, although I only make sure to check it right after I turn the engine off.

Hawksinkalispell
07-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I have experienced something like that in the past, with a full boat and rough water. Just cruising along not on plane and the engine will surge, it sounds like the prop just loses bite and then catches, so there is a small spike in RPM's. It was so rare that it annoyed me but I also would ignore it...

NoMoreBeggin MC
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Cool. thanks guys. It hasn"t done it agian since i put this thread up.