PDA

View Full Version : Need to try to help a friend please...

dpolen
07-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,
My buddy who owns a Bu just called me to say that his boat is dead on the water, every time he trys to turn the key, the ignition/horn breaker trips. Any suggestions on where to tell him to start looking to try to get the boat running? I told him to check connections on ignition, maybe check breaker on the engine as everything on the boat is dead.

cbryan70
07-05-2009, 03:47 PM
ground wires?

dpolen
07-05-2009, 03:50 PM
thanks, just sent him a text to try looking at them to see if anything is loose or corroded.

He got a tow from a good samaritan...thanks for the help.

JimN
07-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey guys,
My buddy who owns a Bu just called me to say that his boat is dead on the water, every time he trys to turn the key, the ignition/horn breaker trips. Any suggestions on where to tell him to start looking to try to get the boat running? I told him to check connections on ignition, maybe check breaker on the engine as everything on the boat is dead.

If he has any tools onboard, have him remove the cable to the starter. If he turns the key and it trips, it could be the solenoid or the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid. If it doesn't, it's most likely the starter.

What year and model?

dpolen
07-05-2009, 04:42 PM
'05 Malibu 21 LSV with the Monsoon engine. It trips when turning the key. He said that he was driving down the lake then heard a couple beeps as the boat died. Sounded like a couple of the switches worked, but the breaker would trip every time he tried restarting. He's not mechanically inclined, so I think he's better off just calling the dealership. I was just hoping I could talk him through getting the thing back up so he could get back to the dock without having to call SeaTow.

Thanks!
Doug

JimN
07-05-2009, 04:58 PM
'05 Malibu 21 LSV with the Monsoon engine. It trips when turning the key. He said that he was driving down the lake then heard a couple beeps as the boat died. Sounded like a couple of the switches worked, but the breaker would trip every time he tried restarting. He's not mechanically inclined, so I think he's better off just calling the dealership. I was just hoping I could talk him through getting the thing back up so he could get back to the dock without having to call SeaTow.

Thanks!
Doug

It could easily be jusst a bad battery or loose battery cable. If the voltage drops enough, it's easy to see how the breaker would trip.

TMCNo1
07-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Disconnect the horn?:rolleyes:

06' X-2 R8R H8R
07-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Tell him to buy a MASTERCRAFT.......

rzafire
07-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a short. He either has a loose wire or worn through wire causing the short and the stall. Have him check all main power looms from the battery and the starter.

bigmac
07-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Tell him to buy a MASTERCRAFT.......

:rolleyes:

cbryan70
07-05-2009, 07:50 PM
:rolleyes:

I bet its bad fuel or that E-10 has caused it 8p

bigmac
07-05-2009, 07:58 PM
I bet its bad fuel or that E-10 has caused it 8pOMG, if only he had used some Sta-Bil...

...that plus an appropriate incantation and his boat would be working fine right now.

snork
07-05-2009, 08:07 PM
maybe fuel pump:uglyhamme

dpolen
07-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys...I've been telling him to pick up a MC for a couple years now, but that Bu is a pretty nice boat, great V-Drive to ski behind. I learned that his battery has never been replaced, so I bet that's a good place to start.

BriEOD
07-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Hope he gets it figured out. That is maddening!

JimN
07-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys...I've been telling him to pick up a MC for a couple years now, but that Bu is a pretty nice boat, great V-Drive to ski behind. I learned that his battery has never been replaced, so I bet that's a good place to start.

The boat's probably fine but it sounds like it needs better maintenance.