PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Scrambler - Anyone know them?

shepherd
07-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I saw this cute little thing for sale on the side of the road and took it for a test drive. It's rough and would be a project. I could be a fun little ride though. 4 cyl, manual trans, no A/C, interior very rough. I thought that price on the window was a bit high. I checked AutoTrader real quick and these things are asking anywhere from $9,000 to $30,000+ for a mint restored one.

Is anyone familiar with these vehicles? What do you think?

nascar
07-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a 1981 jeep Scrambler . Complete Scramblers go anywhere from $1000 to $20,000 depending on condition and after market changes . . The main thing to check is for rust in the frame . The body can have rust but that is easier to fix with replacement panels . Most of the drive train is the same as CJ7s . Check craigslist , for some reason they go at a higher price on Ebay .

dummy
07-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I know 'em. Check for hidden rust and bondo in the tub. A magnet works well. Also, check for cracks in the frame especially around the suspension mounts (spring and shackle hangers) and steering box.

That's a good price for a relatively clean Scrambler. I've seen basket cases go for $1,000 and rusty roaches go for $4,000.

The 4-cylinder is the 2.5L GM-sourced "Iron Duke". Reliable engine, but it'll be sorta underpowered. Swap the rear axle to a later Dana 44 and throw some 5.38 gears and an overdrive tranny in it if you're keeping the 4-cylinder.

Any specific questions you have, fire away. Jeeps are what I do for a living.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Judging from the picture, it looks like someone gave it a real quick paint job to get it out on the lot with a premium price.
There are companies that offer the complete replacement tub.

What would you do with it? Restore it?

shepherd
07-09-2009, 12:57 PM
What would you do with it? Restore it?

Not really, just enough to make it dependable and more comfortable. I just thought it would be a cool little beater to drive around the beach, haul small loads from the garden center and grocery store, carry my surfboard to the beach, and maybe tow my skiff to the neighborhood ramp.

From the state of the interior, it looks like the POs just left the top off and let it get rained on, etc. A vehicle I could do that with kind of appeals to me. :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Understandable. I guess that's why I've had a dozen or so of them ;) . (Jeeps that is)