PDA

View Full Version : Trans neutral safety switch help

Napagary
07-03-2009, 10:57 PM
My 1976 MC seems to have a problem w/the neutral safety switch. After winters storage, it wouldn't even turn over w/ a full battery charge and starter know to be good. I cycled the shifter lever full forward, then full reverse, then back to neutral. At this point it started fine. It continues to exhibit this problem.
Any ideas here? DIM has a neutral switch fix it kit for $90+ and then a simple neutral safety switch for $15?
Any/all help appreciated.
Thanks

justinglow
07-03-2009, 11:03 PM
On the safety switch mounted on the trans, there should be two wires. If you connect the two wires together and the boat starts fine then I believe it's the $15 switch that is bad. Be very careful though because once you connect the two wires the boat would start in gear if ever left in that position.

Napagary
07-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks justinglow - I'll look in that area.
Napagary

Cloaked
07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
My 1976 MC seems to have a problem w/the neutral safety switch. After winters storage, it wouldn't even turn over w/ a full battery charge and starter know to be good. I cycled the shifter lever full forward, then full reverse, then back to neutral. At this point it started fine. It continues to exhibit this problem.
Any ideas here? DIM has a neutral switch fix it kit for $90+ and then a simple neutral safety switch for $15?
Any/all help appreciated.
ThanksAlso your cable may need adjusting (elongating the range of motion). It should be pushing the switch all the way back on the tranny (to the safe neutral position). To troubleshoot this, manually push the switch back by hand. If you find a bit of slack and that this (test) allows the switch to find it's neutral position and start, there lies the problem.

Napagary
07-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks. The "push the switch back manually by hand" has me confused? (my boat is 300 miles away today so can't do any troubleshooting ). I remember the switch appearing as an electrical screw in plug w/2 leads, at the side of the tranny? Can you actuate it by hand?
Also a friend suggested there may be a bad micro switch inside the shifter lever mechanism? Is there such a switch in this location?

Cloaked
07-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks. The "push the switch back manually by hand" has me confused? (my boat is 300 miles away today so can't do any troubleshooting ). I remember the switch appearing as an electrical screw in plug w/2 leads, at the side of the tranny? Can you actuate it by hand?
Also a friend suggested there may be a bad micro switch inside the shifter lever mechanism? Is there such a switch in this location?The cable connects to a lever. I mis-spoke about the switch (terminology). The cable moves the shift lever to the neutral (safe) position. Sometimes it can get to where it doesn't move the lever to said position (completely back toward the rear of the boat). Thus (to test this) you can use your hand to move the lever into the position. It's is a very simple test. Push the lever back and try and crank it. Also toggle the switch a tiny bit to see if you can find the safe position. This lever is easy to find as the cable is right there in plain view at the tranny. The switch is on the opposite side of the lever. My bad.....

I can take a pic and post if you need.

Napagary
07-05-2009, 12:20 PM
O.K. think I got it now. You're speaking of the lever on the side of the tranny that selects the gear. I'm remembering the switch being on the right side and the lever on the left side? I won't see the boat for a couple of weeks so will do the test you describe then. Pics would seal the deal for me!
Appreciate your input.

Cloaked
07-05-2009, 12:45 PM
O.K. think I got it now. You're speaking of the lever on the side of the tranny that selects the gear. I'm remembering the switch being on the right side and the lever on the left side? I won't see the boat for a couple of weeks so will do the test you describe then. Pics would seal the deal for me!
Appreciate your input. Yes. here is a pic of Buckwheat's boat's tranny. .

Cloaked
07-05-2009, 12:50 PM
PS : Check your fluid level while there.

ChristopherLerario
09-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Hi all....Long time reader first time member....I have a 1988 Tristar had broken teeth on the flywheel earlier this summer and put a new ring gear, clutch plate, and starter on with my diesel mechanic buddy..boat worked like a dream for 4-5 outings and now it only starts in gear. If I go reverse boat dies (no grinding at all), if I put throttle down nothing happens.. Is this neutral switch or internal tranny problem? Any thoughts? Thanks!

mikeg205
09-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Hi all....Long time reader first time member....I have a 1988 Tristar had broken teeth on the flywheel earlier this summer and put a new ring gear, clutch plate, and starter on with my diesel mechanic buddy..boat worked like a dream for 4-5 outings and now it only starts in gear. If I go reverse boat dies (no grinding at all), if I put throttle down nothing happens.. Is this neutral switch or internal tranny problem? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Check cable position on safety switch - may need adjustment. dying when you put into reverse is another issue. when you put into reverse the engine stop immediately? or slowly stall out?

ChristopherLerario
09-22-2014, 12:10 PM
It just shuts down when going in reverse. Just to be clear. I start it with the choke on, engine revs just fine, but boat is immediately moving forward. I put the throttle in the up position "idle" and take the choke off and the boat continues to behave exactly as it did (moving forward at lowest possible speed. I put the throttle down and increase gas no higher engine rpms stays exactly the same speed, back to upright neutral, the same. I throw it in reverse and it immediately shuts down.

Thanks for the quick reply!

mikeg205
09-22-2014, 12:34 PM
sounds like 2 problems...

throttle cable and transmission cable -

remove trans cable from transmission and then start motor (make sure trans in neutral position)
as a start.