PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary battery install - here I go

bxroads
07-03-2009, 10:17 AM
It's 8am and I'm installing a Kinetic 2000 auxiliary battery using Diesel's relay system as soon as I post this message. My intentions are for a quick, hassle free, install and then head directly to the lake. If history repeats itself I might get it done before nightfall, I always seem to run into complications. That said, I've prepared myself and I think I have everything I need. I have to re-route amps as well. Any wagers on when I'll be done? Will I even make it to the lake?

Here goes............

Patrick Hardy
07-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Good luck and have a great weekend, but remember that it is the Fourth of July weekend. The goal is the lake and good times on it. The battery system install is secondary and can wait.

bxroads
07-03-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm a stuborn sun of a gun, I'm getting that battery installed. Looking up some info now......

bxroads
07-03-2009, 12:31 PM
All done......well almost. I get the Darwin award........

DO NOT DRILL DRAIN HOLES IN YOUR BATTERY BOX

I speak from experience. The port side of a 190/197 rests directly on the hull. I now have a drain hole in the hull!!!!!!!!!! Not sweating it. It's a simple temporary fix, the wife is almost at the marina now to get something in quick set. The fiberglass man can fix it permanently with no problem at all. If this is my biggest problem I'll be alright. (can you tell I'm trying to stay positive :D)

bxroads
07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
JB Waterweld is awesome stuff. Hitting the water now! This cold beer is past due, what a morning.

TallRedRider
07-03-2009, 05:02 PM
All done......well almost. I get the Darwin award........

DO NOT DRILL DRAIN HOLES IN YOUR BATTERY BOX

I think one purpose of a battery box is to keep any acid that might spill inside the box...so even if you had a battery box that was not against the hull, I would not recommend drilling holes in it.

Let us know how it went...where are the pics!

Where did you get the Kinetic battery and how much was it?

Jimmauburn
07-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Kinetik 2000, those are high current audio power cells that people use in cars for their car stereo's aren't they ?? Those are pretty sweet batteries, got a buddy that has two of them in his truck to handle his MONSTER STEREO.

TallRedRider
07-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Kinetik 2000, those are high current audio power cells that people use in cars for their car stereo's aren't they ?? Those are pretty sweet batteries, got a buddy that has two of them in his truck to handle his MONSTER STEREO.

Yes, Indeed.

bxroads
07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Just got in. The JB Waterweld did the trick. It was way to easy and not a single drop of water leaked in.

The battery box rarely gets wet but I got trapped in a storm and it filled up. I decided I'd fix that problem. I use only gel batteries so contamination doesn't concern me much. Wont make that mistake again! I'll also never be caught without JB Waterweld.

Regarding the battery, I hear it gets no better than the Kinetic. I'll report back after I give it a workout.