PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sounds WS-420

MattsCraft
07-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Has anyone put an WS-420 EQ in an X2? It will fit under the dash centered under the steering wheel if you reverse the brackets, not the best location but easy. I was also thinking of cutting a hole on the right lower side to make it "In-Dash" Scares me to do this as it is a one shot cut, not sure what type of saw to use, jig saw??? Don't really want to remove the dash. Any help suggestions, please....

Many Thanks.

TallRedRider
07-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I wanted it on the left hand side so that others in the boat can reach it, or when no one is driving and we are just chilling in the boat I can reach it from the observer's seat.

I used a rotozip to carefully hollow out a spot for it and it worked terrific. I started with a hole that was just a little too small, and gradually made it bigger until it wedged in perfectly tight. So far, it has not required any support from behind because the dash is about 1 inch thick.

Notice that the dash tilts toward the steering wheel, so if you put the 420 flush with the dash, it angles out towards the walkway at the rear of the unit. So the edge of the 420 has to be an inch or so from the far left side. The flat portion of the dash is just a little too narrow for the entire unit, so there is a little space where it juts out on the right hand side. I think it is minimal, but if you were really anal it just doesn't fit because it is too wide.

My long term plan is to put a piece of carbon fiber around and under the 420, so that I can then mount a switch for my transom lights there and whatever other gadgetry I come up with.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/prop%20and%20wx420%20pics/IMG_7865.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/prop%20and%20wx420%20pics/IMG_7866.jpg

TallRedRider
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I just realized the pic almost makes it look like the mic cable comes through the dash also, but that is an illusion, it is coming around the bottom of the dash.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I got mine in the location you indicated....

06' X-2 R8R H8R
07-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Heres some photos....

TallRedRider
07-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Plus, my trim tab is on the right..so there was no where else to go really.

Nice install R8R! What did you use to cut the dash?

Scott
07-02-2009, 03:15 PM
very tight install!!:D

MattsCraft
07-02-2009, 03:21 PM
OK - Looks like I need to get a roto-zip now, great installs guys! One more question, did you run the RCA's around the front or down through the bildge? My CMD5 has two sets of main RCA's, do I just y split those to the single input on the WS-420?

Many Thanks,

MattsCraft
07-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry, 1 more question, where did you pull power from, was thinking I would just splice into the radio power?

TallRedRider
07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
OK - Looks like I need to get a roto-zip now, great installs guys! One more question, did you run the RCA's around the front or down through the bildge? My CMD5 has two sets of main RCA's, do I just y split those to the single input on the WS-420?

Many Thanks,

I ran my RCA's straight back behind the foot panel and then down through the bilge and across. There is a gap between the floor and the wall where the amps are mounted on my X45. Your boat might be different. Run the amp turn on wire also from the HU to your 420 and then to the amps. I pulled my power from the distribution block that I use for my amps and also changed the power for the HU to come off of it as well. It seems that having them all on the same ground and power minimizes the odds that you might get a ground loop fuzzy noise. Tim White recommends to do it that way (CEO of Wetsounds).

I think you mean 'y - combine' if you wanted to go from 2 sets of RCAs down to one. But that is not necessary. Just take the rear RCA outputs and use those as your input into the 420.