PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Marine Carb

Wes
05-26-2005, 01:28 PM
I have the dreaded 4010 Holley on my 93 Prostar 205 (280 HP), the one that has the hot idle problem. There has been alot of great information on the site, and I believe the general feeling is to replace the 4010 and that is what I am going to do (doesn't matter how much adjustment you do, it still stalls...). Edelbrock also makes a marine carb, has anyone had any experiences with this carb? Good points, bad points? East TX Skier, what do you think??? Holley's here are very expensive, the Edelbrock is about 1/2 price.

tph
05-26-2005, 02:26 PM
If you do decide to go with a new Holley (4160?) these guys have good prices.

http://ebasicpower.american-data.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ebasicpower&Category_Code=PLE2A

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Thomas (Triple Storm) can probably tell you a lot about the edelbrock carb. I've had good luck with my 4160 so far and got a great deal on it from skidim that doesn't resemble the price they have it listed for now. But I don't know a thing about the edelbrock (and really not much about the one I have on there now other than it's a 600 cfm, single feed four-barrel carb with vacuum secondaries.

And don't sell yourself short ... 285 hp.

Welcome!

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 02:40 PM
If you do decide to go with a new Holley (4160?) these guys have good prices.

http://ebasicpower.american-data.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ebasicpower&Category_Code=PLE2A

Wow, that's a good price. About what I paid.

robisjo
05-26-2005, 03:09 PM
I replaced a holley on my '85 with a marine edelbrock that I purchased from JEGS. I used it for five years until I sold the boat this year. I did not have any problems with the edelbrock and I think it performed better than the Holley (given it was 15 years old), it started easier and was more responsive. I did have to put a new gas line on it as the intake line on the edelbrock was different from the holley.

jsonova99
05-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Honestly, you're probably alright either way. I prefer the Holly 4160 because I have had the opportunity to get very familiar with it, and mine has run flawlessly since I rebuilt it. I think I just cursed myself though by saying that :mad:

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
I replaced a holley on my '85 with a marine edelbrock that I purchased from JEGS. I used it for five years until I sold the boat this year. I did not have any problems with the edelbrock and I think it performed better than the Holley (given it was 15 years old), it started easier and was more responsive. I did have to put a new gas line on it as the intake line on the edelbrock was different from the holley.

You'll need a new fuel line if you go 4160, too. They run about $12.

Storm861triple
05-26-2005, 06:41 PM
East tx is right, I CAN tell you all about the Edelbrock.

In a nut shell, there is a reason the Edelbrock is much cheaper than the Holley; it's not as good.

I have an Edelbrock on my play car and it's terrible. I hate it. I've bought a Holley 700 CFM 4150 mechanical secondary carb to replace the Edelbrock and it will be going on there as soon as I have time.

If you want to know specifics about the Edelbrock, I'd be happy to share.

-Tom

Wes
05-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Thank you all, after trying to adjust the Holley all day, I gave up, thought I had it once but...East TX your'e right 285 HP !!! Going to try the Edelbrock as it is $350 cheaper than the Holley, if I am not happy I will go the extra for the Holley, I appreciate all the input as usual it is great.

Wes
05-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks Thomas, like to hear about the Edelbrock, feel free to email me at weslowenberg@shaw.ca

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 11:07 PM
East tx is right, I CAN tell you all about the Edelbrock.

In a nut shell, there is a reason the Edelbrock is much cheaper than the Holley; it's not as good.

I have an Edelbrock on my play car and it's terrible. I hate it. I've bought a Holley 700 CFM 4150 mechanical secondary carb to replace the Edelbrock and it will be going on there as soon as I have time.

If you want to know specifics about the Edelbrock, I'd be happy to share.

-Tom

Glad I didn't say you liked it. Wasn't there another carb that you really liked for marine apps?

Storm861triple
06-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Demon. Best carb on the market, IMO.

martini
06-01-2005, 03:15 PM
I am hurt that no one would remember my setup! Just kidding. I have the Edelbrock 1409 on my 351 and once tuned has run perfect. I like it better than the Holley for the simple fact that you can work on it while it is still on the engine and you won't spill gas everywhere. I would recommend a heat insulated spacer with that carb, because it tends to boil fuel a little easier than the Holley. It won't ultimately hurt anything, it just will make it run rough at idle if it has heat soaked for awhile. You will absolutely need to check the float levels on the Edelbrock before starting your boat for the first time with it on. It is not that difficult and the instructions are very good. I have very good experiences with this carb and can definitely help with set up.

Wes
06-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Now that the website is back up and running I can give you an update. I installed the Edelbrock 1409 (Marine) with only a few minor adjustments to make room for it, the linkage fit perfectly (which was amazing). Engine fired right up, runs great so far. It fixed the idle stalling and the starting problem and so far pretty happy with it. I will let everyone know if I have any problems with it. I appreciate all the help and valuable information that the members contribute, if it wasn't for this resource I would have spent a lot more money and time trying to solve some of the problems I have had. Although when I went shopping for a Holley carb at my Mastercraft Dealer, the parts department suggested that I just put a automotive carb on as they were much cheaper. When I suggested to him that I thought it had to be a marine carb, he seemed to think it didn't matter...I said for an extra $100 I would stick with a marine carb for all the obvious reasons. Just a heads up, that a marine carb meets all the US Coast Guard regulations whereas the automotive carb does not. And there are a number of differences between the carbs for fire prevention.