PDA

View Full Version : Boat find I/O

Ramhouse
07-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Is there such an animal?http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1980-MASTERCRAFT-PROSTAR-190-IO-93062618
A prostar 190 with an I/O?

Double D
07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
What the heck were they thinking?? I lost a little more respect for that one MC Corporate Head that said, "Hey, lets put in an I/O and grab that market." Sheesh........ :confused:

Is there such an animal?http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1980-MASTERCRAFT-PROSTAR-190-IO-93062618

Sodar
07-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Round 3 or 4.... can't remember.

flipper
07-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Round 3 or 4.... can't remember.

.....Or more

woftam
07-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I think there were more, but not that many? They were not exclusively sold for ski show use. One of the members of the ski club I belonged to once upon a time owned one and he purchased it new.

That said, I don’t see the point. It’s not pleasing to the eye for most and is saddled with some of the less desirable traits of both inboards and outboards, with few apparent advantages.

I skied off of one once. It seemed stern heavy and underpowered in comparison to inboard MC’s of the day. On the plus side, the wake was serviceable and could be adjusted via trimming the outdrive. On the negative side, you lost the utility of a large transom platform as found on inboard towboats, water crashed over the stern if you were not careful when doming off a plane, and the engine compartment was tight-making the engine difficult to servce.

(+)
More interior room due to engine placement?
More maneuverable at slow speeds due to rotating outdrive.
Able to tilt outdrive up for shallow water operation.
Able to trim engine to tune wake.

(-)
All the weight of an inboard, but placed at the stern. (stern heavy)
Seemed underpowered. (I don’t recall what engine was used in the one I skied behind. Could have been a weigh distribution problem?)
Tight engine compartment made servicing difficult.
Less utility with two small stern platforms vs. one large one.
More difficult to avoid prop when boarding from the water.
Butt ugly!

Age Fighter
07-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Must have seen a Ski Supreme and wanted to invent one on the fly.

I"m not sure what folks think of the Ski Supremes....I guess a niche boat for footers who need to reach their cove at 65 mph.....

ski_king
07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Must have seen a Ski Supreme and wanted to invent one on the fly.

I"m not sure what folks think of the Ski Supremes....I guess a niche boat for footers who need to reach their cove at 65 mph.....

I think you are confusing Ski Pro with Ski Supreme.

Ski Pro made the big I/O barefoot boats with the Volvo Duoprop Outdrives.

Ski Supreme was a inboard manufacture and sort of a spinoff of MasterCraft

chudson
07-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Hydrodyne had the i/o too.

Age Fighter
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
I think you are confusing Ski Pro with Ski Supreme.

Ski Pro made the big I/O barefoot boats with the Volvo Duoprop Outdrives.

Ski Supreme was a inboard manufacture and sort of a spinoff of MasterCraft

You are right -- I actually saw one tonight at the lake while I was skiing -- which is rare. Ski Pro Extremes is what they are called. Small niche manufacturer out of Texas. When I saw it, I realized it had goofed the name up on the thread.

Kingsley X-1
07-02-2009, 10:59 PM

i think i just puked in my mouth :eek: