PDA

View Full Version : Broken Motor Mount

Deanhamel
07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
To start, many thanks to the members of this forum. Your knowledge and experience has been a big help to me over the past year. I owned an 81 S&S in the late 80s into the eary 90s - a boat I dearly loved. It was sold shortly after marriage and kids. A familiar story. Last year I bought an 84 S&S and I'm in love again! I replaced the front transmission seal this spring. A long but not-too-difficult task, especially with the advice from posts here. This evening I discovered that one of my front motor mounts is cracked. I assume it is from the stress of lifting the motor during the transmission repair. I have a big 4th of July weekend planned at the family lake house with lots of people anticipating a pull behind the boat. I have no problem replacing the mount once I get a new one after the weekend, but my biggest question is - WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF RUNNING THE BOAT WITH THE MOUNT IN THIS CONDITION (see photos attached)? All other mounts appear to be fine.

Thanks!
Dean

coz
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
To start, many thanks to the members of this forum. Your knowledge and experience has been a big help to me over the past year. I owned an 81 S&S in the late 80s into the eary 90s - a boat I dearly loved. It was sold shortly after marriage and kids. A familiar story. Last year I bought an 84 S&S and I'm in love again! I replaced the front transmission seal this spring. A long but not-too-difficult task, especially with the advice from posts here. This evening I discovered that one of my front motor mounts is cracked. I assume it is from the stress of lifting the motor during the transmission repair. I have a big 4th of July weekend planned at the family lake house with lots of people anticipating a pull behind the boat. I have no problem replacing the mount once I get a new one after the weekend, but my biggest question is - WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF RUNNING THE BOAT WITH THE MOUNT IN THIS CONDITION (see photos attached)? All other mounts appear to be fine.

Thanks!
Dean

If Billy was still with us he'd agree, quick temporary fix :D

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/205775079/Mighty_Putty_Tool_Hand_Tool.jpg

ski_king
07-01-2009, 08:19 PM
My guess, and it is only a guess is that you should be ok.........

By the size of the bolts that hold down the motor mount, I am guessing that the mount dosnt see all that much force. Most likley you broke it when you lifted the back if the motor and put too much force on the front flange of the mount.

However if I was you and I did decide to run it, I would use a C-Clamp too help hold the good part of the mount on place.

TMCNo1
07-01-2009, 08:25 PM
The parts you will need are most likely on this page, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1048
Call them to confirm what you need, before ordering.

Deanhamel
07-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I especially like the c-clamp idea.

After looking at the mount further, it is obvious that this didn't just happen. The broken piece lifted right out and the break line is clearly old with some apparent corrosion. The bolt at the break is the only one of all of the mounting bolts to have a washer (look at the 2nd photo). Leads me to believe that the prior owner knew about it and tried some sort of a "quick fix".

Do you guys know if this can be fixed with the motor in place or will I need to lift it?

chico
07-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Undo the three bolts that hold it to the motor,take out the two bolts at the mount,support the motor and slide it out.That is cast iron and hard to make a permanent fix,best is a new mount or try to weld it temp.