PDA

View Full Version : tow tubes from pylon or stern

jomiddour
07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I've always heard not to tow tubes from the center ski pylon on my 91' prostar 190 and have pulled them from the stern. Do I risk damage pulling two tubes with multiple riders from the stern? The pylon?

bigmac
07-01-2009, 02:26 PM
I've always heard not to tow tubes from the center ski pylon on my 91' prostar 190 and have pulled them from the stern. Do I risk damage pulling two tubes with multiple riders from the stern? The pylon?

My boat pulls tubes a lot, including multiples and even the infamous Kite Tube. I've pulled from both the pylon and the rear tow eye. No problem.

Granite_33
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
I'll pull two tubes from the stern.

If I go to three tubes.....and I occasionally do when my nieces and nephews show up, I will mount one center stern on the tow eye, then one on each side on the lifting rings.

I have not heard of NOT being able to tow a tube on a ski pylon, but I would think that the stress on the pylon would be similar to the stress of pulling my large self down the lake on my slalom ski...:D

FWIW, towing from the stern gives a "more active" :rolleyes: ride for the toober as compared to the pylon.....my experience only, though.

jacobe
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM

I would just suggest that you participate in better water sports activities...

bigmac
07-01-2009, 03:50 PM
I would suggest that he use his boat to accomplish whatever water activities provides him and his family with the maximum amount of enjoyment. Whatever that is.

Inboard towboat snobs. Let's move on...

dpolen
07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Not sure if its an option for you, but I tow from the wakeboard tower because it helps to keep the line out of the water, thus reducing the spray that hits the little kids in the eyes on the towable.

jacobe
07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I would suggest that he use his boat to accomplish whatever water activities provides him and his family with the maximum amount of enjoyment. Whatever that is.

Inboard towboat snobs. Let's move on...

Just having a little fun. No true snobbery here. Thought the smiley face would indicate that enough. Play on.

stuartmcnair
07-01-2009, 04:12 PM
we have a large tube that we tow from the pylon but most of the time we pull from the tower...x2 on spray in the kids faces from the rope digging in

bigmac
07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Just having a little fun. No true snobbery here. Thought the smiley face would indicate that enough. Play on.

Sorry, then.

jomiddour
07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
FWIW I'm not the one doing the tubing but when we have full dock and not eveyone skis/ wakeboards I've got to get them behind the boat somehow. Are two tubes with two (adult) riders on each too much stress for one towpoint?

bigmac
07-02-2009, 11:57 AM
FWIW I'm not the one doing the tubing but when we have full dock and not eveyone skis/ wakeboards I've got to get them behind the boat somehow. Are two tubes with two (adult) riders on each too much stress for one towpoint?

I've towed three tubes with two adult riders each with my previous Century I/O. I am assuming that my MasterCraft tow boat is built at least as well as my previous boat. Anyway, I often pull a couple of Super Mabels with 2-3 people on each with my MasterCraft. Sometime from the pylon, sometimes from the rear tow eye. If your worried about it, pull from the stern lifting eyes. Those will support the weight of the boat.

CameronCarey
07-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I've towed three tubes with two adult riders each with my previous Century I/O. I am assuming that my MasterCraft tow boat is built at least as well as my previous boat. Anyway, I often pull a couple of Super Mabels with 2-3 people on each with my MasterCraft. Sometime from the pylon, sometimes from the rear tow eye. If your worried about it, pull from the stern lifting eyes. Those will support the weight of the boat.

Exactly, a Big tube can bog down in the water and easily dump over 1000 lb of force on the tow rope, that's why Tube lines are always so much larger than a ski line.

The lift eyes are designed to support that type of weight............the pylon does that from a cantilevered position putting substantial stress on the stringers and mounting point in the keel. In a new or well cared for boat that may work fine..........but i wouldn't recommend it on any older boat.

I also agree on the previous comment .............its much less difficult to sling a tube around from the lift eyes. And isn't that what tubing is about?

Thumbs
07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
While I would be surprised if there is a problem towing with the lift rings and/or the pylon, I sure would like an official response from MasterCraft about it. I can see the tow rings lacking proper reinforcement for lateral loads (as opposed to pure vertical/lifting loads), or lacking sufficient reinforcement for the shock-loads created during towing.

I am inclined to believe the pylon is stout enough as it is designed for lateral loads.

Anyone have a defiinite on this?

Thanks!
Randy

bigmac
07-08-2009, 06:12 PM
While I would be surprised if there is a problem towing with the lift rings and/or the pylon, I sure would like an official response from MasterCraft about it. I can see the tow rings lacking proper reinforcement for lateral loads (as opposed to pure vertical/lifting loads), or lacking sufficient reinforcement for the shock-loads created during towing.

I am inclined to believe the pylon is stout enough as it is designed for lateral loads.

Thanks!
Randy

You won't get an official response from MasterCraft here. You'd be better off calling them to get a "definite". Good luck with that ;).

Toober Tom
07-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Nothing to add, but I like this thread!!

Chicago190
07-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I weigh 165 lbs. and I slow the boat down skiing from the center pylon more than 2 tubes with riders getting whipped out at 30 MPH ever will. I can only imagine the load a pro puts on the tow points. Take that for what it's worth.

Bert
07-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Thanks!
Randy
Exactly, those lifting rings are for vertical loads only. I have seen cracks in the gelcoat on mastercrafts that have used them for towing.

bigmac
07-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Exactly, those lifting rings are for vertical loads only. I have seen cracks in the gelcoat on mastercrafts that have used them for towing.

I think my swim platform would interfere with towing from the lifting eyes. Anyway, it's why the rear grab bar/towing eye is there. No problem with towing from the pylon, I'm sure, but more whip towing from the stern than from the center.

dooger
07-09-2009, 12:10 AM
I think my swim platform would interfere with towing from the lifting eyes. Anyway, it's why the rear grab bar/towing eye is there. No problem with towing from the pylon, I'm sure, but more whip towing from the stern than from the center.

The kids are in trouble now ;>) I've been pulling from the pylon, has been kinda hard to whip the tube. Now that i know the secret they are really going for a ride. bwaahaha

mess33
07-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I tow from the pylon and the standard is 3 super screamers with 2 kids apiece. No problems. I have tried from the stern but it is tough to get 3 tube ropes in there.