PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Replacement - In Tank

BobP
07-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Any hints regarding replacing in-tank fuel pump and specs such as torque for bolts, etc?

bigmac
07-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Any hints regarding replacing in-tank fuel pump and specs such as torque for bolts, etc?

Fuel pump problems are discussed frequently here. There is a ton of info on the subject, including step-by-step photos on both replacing the fuel pump module (which is what MasterCraft wants you to do) and replacing just the pump component of the module (which is far cheaper, but trickier). A search here on "fuel pump" will give you many, many posts to sort through.

Take a look at this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=531882&highlight=fuel+pump#post531882), as an example.

The fuel pump hex bolts get torqued to 45 inch-pounds in a criss-cross pattern. Do this with the tank as empty as you can get it. The fuel in the tank, the more distortion of the tank and the harder it will be to get the holes lined up for the re-install. Don't forget the fuel-line disconnect tool, and I'd recommend a fuel-pressure gauge to apply to the schrader valve on the fuel rail, so that you can make sure the new pump works. Presumably, you already have a fuel pressure tester, though, so that you could be sure that your original fuel pump has failed.

mtajpa
07-01-2009, 10:20 PM
My 2 cents

Had a little issue with the weatherpack connectors at the fuel pump this weekend. The pump would quit running then start up again after the boat cooled off. I found the female connector at the pump not making good contact. I tweaked the female connector and all was well for the reset of the day. Picked up some of the new weatherpack connectors today for a permanent repair.