PDA

View Full Version : Inner portion of guide pole covers (PVC)???

markismm
06-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know where I can order just the inner portion of the guide pole covers to a 1984 Mastercraft Trailer? I have tried to get the PVC pipes from Lowes and the like, but to no avail since the PVC is a thin wall small diameter. Basically it is not a standard size. Do new guide pole pads come with the inner PVC covers. I looked briefly on line and could not find any. Also, I need to get the two red rubber guide pole cover caps. Yes I know there are posts on this, but the posts seem to indicate that you have to buy them in bulk. Anyone have two new ones they may be willing to part with for a reasonable sum? Thanks in advance for the help.

TMCNo1
07-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Most trailer with guide bars come from any factory with a inner thick wall steel tube post attached to the trailer frame. The outer portion is PVC thin wall tubing, Google "2" PVC thin wall tubing", but most show up as gray in color and is used for central vacuum piping. Then as a aftermarket accessory, there are the fabric covered foam tube guide bar covers, that have elastic on the ends sewn into the hem, without any tubing inside. The thin wall PVC is held on with a ring of the same material pop riveted to the top steel trailer pipe so the long PVC tube will spin on the steel trailer post as the boats rub rail hits it. Most any MC dealer should be able to get some black from the factory, but verify what length you need for your trailer and the length tubes they can get.
Anybody that sells trailer balls normally have black and/or gray 2" ball covers that work well, but occasionally you find other colors, including red.

drylandfish
07-01-2009, 02:25 AM
The original guide pole covers (black pipe) on my '84 trailer has an outside diameter of 1.900 meaning the nominal size is 1-1/2". I measured both pieces of pipe for wall thickness and I'm getting 0.109 - 0.111. If the Lowes here is selling the same pipe which you have seen it's probably schedule 40 cellular core coex. It's wall thickness is around 0.165 which as you have found out will not fit over the guides. So, I guess look for something 0.111 or thinner. Hope this helps.