PDA

View Full Version : Which Polisher / Buffer To Buy

Patrick Hardy
06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Time for a new polisher / buffer, I have never owned or used the Porter Cable 7424, but I know a lot of you own or have used it before. My problem is that it is sold as a tool for light to intermediate oxidation problems. It would work well for my boat, but for other applications it would be nice to have a tool for heavy oxidation. I am looking at the FLEX XC 3401 Polisher, but the price difference is big - $119.99 vs. $299.99. What are your opinions on spending more money for a heavy duty tool?

454Prostar190
06-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Time for a new polisher / buffer, I have never owned or used the Porter Cable 7424, but I know a lot of you own or have used it before. My problem is that it is sold as a tool for light to intermediate oxidation problems. It would work well for my boat, but for other applications it would be nice to have a tool for heavy oxidation. I am looking at the FLEX XC 3401 Polisher, but the price difference is big - $119.99 vs. $299.99. What are your opinions on spending more money for a heavy duty tool?

My experience is..... You get what you pay for! It sounds like you plan on using this tool and the added expense can be justified.

hawaiianstiln
06-30-2009, 03:41 PM
I consider myself very good working with scratches and went with this one at Sears (LOVE it).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917556000P?vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Buffers+%26+Polishers

The reason I went with this one is because I can buy the 3M buffing pads and stick them right on. I put velcro on the bottom of the plastic disk on the buffer so that I can take them on and off really easy. The 3M buffing pads are expensive, but SOOO worth it.

flipper
06-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I consider myself very good working with scratches and went with this one at Sears (LOVE it).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917556000P?vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Buffers+%26+Polishers

The reason I went with this one is because I can buy the 3M buffing pads and stick them right on. I put velcro on the bottom of the plastic disk on the buffer so that I can take them on and off really easy. The 3M buffing pads are expensive, but SOOO worth it.

Same thing I have and very happy with it.

Hoosier Bob
06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I have two of these. I "wheeled" cars 27 years ago in Virginia and used a Milwaukee then as well. Not too heavy and will last a lifetime. Variable speed is up to you but mid range speed single speed will work fine just keep it wet. The 3M Pads are awesome and pricey as well. You can pick one up on Ebay reasonably as well. Not cheap! I use these regulary on the boat and vehicles. Also this little gem works great for small stuff as well just use a heavy duty cordless drill! :D

sand2snow22
06-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I use the porter cable for waxing and a high speed buffer for rubbing compound and polish. I picked up my buffer at a local auto parts store for $60. Porter Cable doesn't have enough bite for compound and polish. Well that's a stretch, it just takes forever and you use a lot of product.

I think Dewalt makes the best buffer, but they are $300+. Good luck.....

mplv
06-30-2009, 06:02 PM
dewalt is where its at. that powerball is junk and the porter cable isnt heavy duty at all

justinglow
06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I have the Dewalt buffer and am very happy with it. IIRC I think I paid around $300 for it too.

Hoosier Bob
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
I have used the Dewalts. They are lighter feeling by a touch. The older Milwaukees were trucks. My newer buffers are variable and much lighter. Still take a ton of abuse. I do not have much Dewalt stuff other than a couple of sanders so all I can say is I used a Dewalt buffer.;)I use the porter cable for waxing and a high speed buffer for rubbing compound and polish. I picked up my buffer at a local auto parts store for $60. Porter Cable doesn't have enough bite for compound and polish. Well that's a stretch, it just takes forever and you use a lot of product.

I think Dewalt makes the best buffer, but they are $300+. Good luck.....

drylandfish
06-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I have a Dewalt 849 from properboatcare.com. I love it. 1,000-3,000rpm w/ 16 speeds. They have it for $219.95 right now. I paid $250. Buy 3M pads as Hawaiian suggested.

NoSubstitute
06-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I have the Porter Cable and have used it for 6+ years. Its well balanced and lightweight. I used to have a huge non-orbital for wheeling out cars, did a great job but very heavy. Really built up my arms and shoulders using it though...