PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Battery System

Jimmauburn
06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Okay all I have a question. I have a 1989 Prostar 190 and I am wanting to change it to a multiple battery system. I am thinking of a two battery system this year and adding another battery next year with a stereo upgrade. How simple or hard is it to add a battery and add a Perko three battery switch ?? I am tired of my main starter battery going dead after a day on the water !!! Help ??

JimN
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
You'll also need to upgrade the alternator and charging lead. Once those are able to handle the added load, the battery switch and batteries are pretty straightforward.

hawaiianstiln
06-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey JimN, I had a 4 battery blue top optima in my previous boat and I would just charge all the batterires before I would hit the water, if I partied, then I would use those other 3 batteries (perko switched), but keep it on battery 1 (starting battery) when heading back in. Couldn't he do that without upgrading the Alt. Essentially it would never charge the other 3 back up or beat the Alt up if it was just switched to battery 1 until you got back home right?

TallRedRider
06-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey JimN, I had a 4 battery blue top optima in my previous boat and I would just charge all the batterires before I would hit the water, if I partied, then I would use those other 3 batteries (perko switched), but keep it on battery 1 (starting battery) when heading back in. Couldn't he do that without upgrading the Alt. Essentially it would never charge the other 3 back up or beat the Alt up if it was just switched to battery 1 until you got back home right?

I would agree. As long as he is not going to be spending a weeklong trip at the lake.

Also depends on if he is partying with the engine off for long periods of time. The regular alternator would probably be fine if he rarely runs the music with the power off.

JimN
06-30-2009, 09:11 PM

If the alternator sees the discharged batteries, beating it up usually involves loads that overheat the bridge and stator badly, which makes it likely that it will fail at the worst possible time. It's not a good idea to think that it can't fail and setting it up in that way is just playing with fire- figuratively and potentially literally.

For the relatively low price of a higher output alternator, I don't see why it's even an option to use the OEM one.

Jimmauburn
07-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Got me a Battery Booster for the weekend, for the sake of not getting stuck with a drained battery and not able to get the boat started, but I will be adding another battery just as soon as time permits. I appreciate the info JimN and will post again once I get the second battery installed and the components wired correctly. Thanks again all....... Have a happy and safe 4th everyone.