PDA

View Full Version : First mods to the new truck

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 11:36 AM
First of all I love the new F150! :worthy: But like anything else, we all like to personalize them to meet our need. First time I noticed was I needed a place to mount my cell phone so I could simply glance down and see who was calling, but I didn't want to install one of those bulky cell phone holders. So............a ;ittle well shaped piece of wood, some paint to match the dash, and some velcro..........problem solved!

OhioProstar
05-26-2005, 11:45 AM
looks good...time to get into that stereo.

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Next was the issue with the newer trailers and the brakes grabbing while the boat is off of them. So I buy a nifty, LED switch, cut the reverse light wire at the wiring coupler, and run a wire that I can send power to when ever I need to deactivate the brakes on the trailer. Actually all I'm doing is making the reverse light function manual instead of automatic.

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 11:54 AM
looks good...time to get into that stereo.
Trust me that's next! :D Thinking about a Sony Explode head unit, 4 Polk component speakers........maybe a 4 channel amp ( haven't decided on which brand yet......need imput on this ;) ) and it's looking like I might have to go with a Kenwood powered Sub. There is very little room in the cab for a 10" or even 8"sub. :( Even if I custom build an enclosure, the most I could get is about .33 cubic feet. As surprizingly roomy this truck is inside, there is very little room to mount anything in the back.

bcampbe7
05-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Looks awesome Mag!
Did you mount the cell-phone holder with Velcro or is it more permanent?

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 12:01 PM
:toast: Thanks! I was a little leary about drilling a hole in my new dash.

captkidd
05-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Next was the issue with the newer trailers and the brakes grabbing while the boat is off of them. So I buy a nifty, LED switch, cut the reverse light wire at the wiring coupler, and run a wire that I can send power to when ever I need to deactivate the brakes on the trailer. Actually all I'm doing is making the reverse light function manual instead of automatic.

Good job Mag. Looks like it came on there. I hate to take credit, but wasn't this my idea (installing a switch to deactivate the trailer brakes) about 6-8 months ago? I'm too lazy to search for it, and it really doesn't matter anyway, I'm just glad it works.

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Good job Mag. Looks like it came on there. I hate to take credit, but wasn't this my idea (installing a switch to deactivate the trailer brakes) about 6-8 months ago? I'm too lazy to search for it, and it really doesn't matter anyway, I'm just glad it works.Sorry dude! I had mine on my Chevy last year :steering: BUt great minds do think alike :banana:

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Good job Mag. Looks like it came on there. I hate to take credit, but wasn't this my idea (installing a switch to deactivate the trailer brakes) about 6-8 months ago? I'm too lazy to search for it, and it really doesn't matter anyway, I'm just glad it works.

I don't remember that one. Since we have roughly the same boat, how did you swing this (or do you have a backing solenoid)?

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't remember that one. Since we have roughly the same boat, how did you swing this (or do you have a backing solenoid)? :confused: Not sure what you're asking Eastie.

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Maggy, I was asking the Capt. how he shut the brakes off on his early 90s trailer since it didn't come stock with the backing solenoid that kills the brakes when the reverse light comes on. After I posted, I figured he must have added a backing solenoid.

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Maggy, I was asking the Capt. how he shut the brakes off on his early 90s trailer since it didn't come stock with the backing solenoid that kills the brakes when the reverse light comes on. After I posted, I figured he must have added a backing solenoid. I see said the blind man :wavey:

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 04:27 PM
... but he really didn't.

André
05-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Mag
Not sure about a painted piece of wood on the dash of a brand new truck...Sorry!

rodltg2
05-26-2005, 07:33 PM
the f150 come in diesel? whats the mileage , my dodge hemi sucks it up, need to replace.

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Mag
Not sure about a painted piece of wood on the dash of a brand new truck...Sorry!Well untill I find a better solution.......it stays! Besides it's only help on with two sided tape........it's not like it's lag bolted in there. :purplaugh

Mag_Red
05-26-2005, 07:36 PM
the f150 come in diesel? whats the mileage , my dodge hemi sucks it up, need to replace.Only gas on the F-150 I only have 500 miles on it but I am getting just under 16 MPG

jayocheskey
05-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Trust me that's next! :D Thinking about a Sony Explode head unit, 4 Polk component speakers........maybe a 4 channel amp ( haven't decided on which brand yet......need imput on this ;) ) and it's looking like I might have to go with a Kenwood powered Sub. There is very little room in the cab for a 10" or even 8"sub. :( Even if I custom build an enclosure, the most I could get is about .33 cubic feet. As surprizingly roomy this truck is inside, there is very little room to mount anything in the back.
I'd go with the JL Audio amp -- anytime.

bucky
05-27-2005, 05:08 AM
You might look at "thunderforms" or "Q-logic" custom fit enclosures at Crutchfield's or on the net. They have custom fit boxes that I saw for 10" subs in an '05 F-150.

Mag_Red
05-27-2005, 05:56 AM
You might look at "thunderforms" or "Q-logic" custom fit enclosures at Crutchfield's or on the net. They have custom fit boxes that I saw for 10" subs in an '05 F-150.MTX Thunderforms hasn't come out with a model that fits the newer F150. The Q logic is just plain ugly............sort of like my block of wood. ;)

Mag_Red
05-27-2005, 05:59 AM
I'd go with the JL Audio amp -- anytime.I know Crutchfields doesn't carry the JL Amps.........where's a good on-line place to purchase??

captkidd
06-03-2005, 04:29 PM
This is the post I was originally talking about:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=6371&postcount=13
I'm more than happy to share the credit (especially if it works), but I'll let Mag take the blame if it doesn't.

I did install the electric backup solenoid on my trailer, and I would highly recommend it to anyone without one. Much better than jumping out to insert that little pin every time you want to back up, especially if you want to back uphill.