PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

meg
06-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Out of curiousity-I assume with all the MC's out there not everyone keeps there fuel tank above 1/4 tank (in fact I am sure everyone has been low on fuel)- what is the failure rate on the pumps when they get below 1/4 tank?

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-30-2009, 12:45 PM
The fuel pump failure problem seems to be associated with certain year models of MC's. I have an older boat and have run mine to near empty several times. I am not sure of the models that the fuel pump issues occur but I am sure someone on here will enlighten us shortly.

coz
06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Out of curiousity-I assume with all the MC's out there not everyone keeps there fuel tank above 1/4 tank (in fact I am sure everyone has been low on fuel)- what is the failure rate on the pumps when they get below 1/4 tank?

After all this time I just found out my pump & boat aren't included in the 1/4 tank deal, so it's not all MC's that have to live by the 1/4 tank rule.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
After all this time I just found out my pump & boat aren't included in the 1/4 tank deal, so it's not all MC's that have to live by the 1/4 tank rule.

Maybe we should start a "Non 1/4 Tanker" club:D

Ole Miss Rebels
06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
i have a 53 gallon tank on my 08 xstar. the guage has showed as low as 4% remaining on the vdig but when i fill it up it only holds 35 gallons. my guess is MC callibrates the guages to make them read lower than they are. fine by me as i don't want to burn up a pump. i had that happen to me in my old 05 xstar and i never ran it below half a tank. perhaps the dealership did when they were prepping it for me but the pump didn't fail for two years and 250 hours. so i have no idea how i burned up that pump. it scares me that at the end of the day we try to get a surf session in. that is dangerous because the boat is tilted over and the bulk of the remaining fuel is not directly under the pump pick-up. i live in fear that she will die on me one day soon. when they go they go. there is no warning. boom-she's dead.

jmac197
06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
How about if those who have had the misfortune to have their pump go out list their year, model, engine.

Then someone can compile and put it in the FAQ along with the aftermarket pump numbers.

BigBarney
07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
'03 X30 with 60 gallon tank, LQ9 engine. Replaced 1st fuel pump in July '08. Just got through replacing the second pump a couple weekends ago (after a couple of weekends on the water). I never let the tank go below 1/4. I believe at the end of the season, I'm going to drain the tank and give it a good cleaning. And I am not going to store it in gas this season.

kkkeating
07-02-2009, 11:22 AM
01 X-9; I've been out numerous times below 1/4 tank, no problems. Didn't know there was an issue until I joined Teamtalk. I've been thinking about bringing out a IR thermometer to see if there's actually a fuel temp rise when it get's below 1/4 tank.

bigmac
07-02-2009, 12:20 PM
01 X-9; I've been out numerous times below 1/4 tank, no problems. Didn't know there was an issue until I joined Teamtalk. I've been thinking about bringing out a IR thermometer to see if there's actually a fuel temp rise when it get's below 1/4 tank.

My 2004 230VRS fuel pump failed with about 3 hours on the tach. With that timing, I suspect either a mfgr defect or plastic shavings in the tank at the time of build.

I don't run below 1/4 tank, but keeping it full is easy for me since I keep gasoline on premises and only need to un-reel the hose from the pump at my dock.

My buddy has a 2004 X-10. He routinely runs at 1/4 tank or less, and I've towed him back to his dock on at least two occasions after he's run out of gas. Despite my dire predictions, his fuel pump is ticking along just fine.

MYMC
07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
This is my opinion of what I have seen regarding this pump system. It should not be taken as an excuse or acceptance of the failures...rather just an explanation.

Like most failures this is a chain of events. It begins when the fuel level drops below 1/2 tank. The filter on the system only works below 1/2 tank. The filter is a 5 micron unit that clogs very easily...as it becomes contaminated the pump works harder and gets hotter. Remember pumps (for the most part) are much more efficient pushers than suckers...as the fuel level drops and the filter becomes dirtier the pump becomes hotter...particularly in the impeller/housing interface area. The housing is made from "pot metal" and expands greatly with the additional heat...you can see the vicious circle at work here. When it gets shut off the impeller can end up becoming seized against the housing (instant failure) or over time the motor gives up due to the excessive work load.

MasterCraft stopped shipping the boats with fuel in the tank back in 2001 due to a particulate forming between the fuel and the plastic tank. This was killing pumps and filters quickly. Boats are all run on a separate "run tank" so that the tank remains dry. However, this leaves a large volume for condensation. It is my own personal theory that the particulate was nothing more than residue from the roto-molding process and if the filter were changed a couple of times at infancy the failure rate would drop to acceptable levels. If it were my personal boat I would change the fuel filter every time I change oil or twice a year depending on usage.

The new pumps installed two model years ago seem to be much more robust.

mccobmd
07-02-2009, 03:19 PM
I've had my 06 below a 1/4 twice, ran out of gas once. Might go with MYMC on this one because I have had my fuel filter changed twice a year. But then again never take your boat mechanic advice from a health professional.

bigmac
07-02-2009, 03:26 PM
... But then again never take your boat mechanic advice from a health professional.

Excellent advice!