PDA

View Full Version : General ski question

MC2000190
06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
When slalom skiing and you fall is the ski supposed to fall off? Are certain boots designed to stay on/fall off???

shepherd
06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Generally, you don't want the ski to fall off unless it's a really wicked wipeout. I have Wiley bindings which are easy to release, but they very rarely come off when I fall.

André
06-30-2009, 11:12 AM
It really depends on what kind of fall you have.
In general ,peoples want to be all in or all out and doubles boots help in that way.
Skiers try to stay away of a rear toe strap as your foot can easily come out in a fall and you end up with one foot in and one foot out.
That being said,i've been using a RTP forever and never hurt myself falling with only my front staying in and i had my share of yard sales...:)

suedv
06-30-2009, 11:45 AM
A few years ago my daughter fell with one foot in and one foot out. She tore her ACL, MCL, and LCL. She had knee surgery and she's never been willing to slalom ski again.

bxroads
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
suedv, what boots/bindings?

east tx skier
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
One way to look at it is do you want them to release or do you want to stay in the ski? Either way works, but may limit you to one segment of boots versus another. Like Sue mentions, you need to go with one or the other. One in/one out is what you want to avoid at all costs.

Me, I like to come out. I'm on Wiley's boots.

mrprostar
06-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I have double stokers and it takes quite a tumble to come out of them. I much prefer to be in given how hard it is to get into them and also I don't come out of the water and get a ski in the head.

MC2000190
06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Do these boot companies state whether or not a particular boot is designed to stay on/or fall off when you buy the boot???

Jesus_Freak
06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
FWIW, HO's Approach bindings will almost certainly not release. In three years of Approach use in course skiing, I have never been released in any of my nasty falls.

east tx skier
06-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Do these boot companies state whether or not a particular boot is designed to stay on/or fall off when you buy the boot???

No, they just warn you re: serious injury and death.

Same experience with the Approach boots. Sold them and went with Wiley's because they would not release and that's what I wanted a boot to do.

CameronCarey
06-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Rule of thumb, if you skip across the water like a rock........you want both bindings of the ski to fall off.
if you gently sink............its much less work for it to stay on.

its easier on a wake board..........if you fall forward or sideways you want them to pop off ...........backwards stay on.

its usually safest if you find both feet in or out....if you get one in and one out...........hello ER

Jesus_Freak
06-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Rule of thumb, if you skip across the water like a rock........you want both bindings of the ski to fall off.
if you gently sink............its much less work for it to stay on...

What if I skip across the water like a rock and then gently sink?:D

suedv
06-30-2009, 01:02 PM
suedv, what boots/bindings?

Sorry, I don't know.

CameronCarey
06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
What if I skip across the water like a rock and then gently sink?:D

In such a case................ assess if all limbs are still attached..........then decide what your prefrence is .........in the event it happens again!

shepherd
06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
If my feet came out every time I wiped out, I'd be spending half the day on the swim platform putting them back on. :mad:

MC2000190
06-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Any other bad injuries from falling?

JohnE
07-01-2009, 09:19 AM
I have the Wiley's too and they come off on most hard falls. I went over the front so hard in NC, that I felt them come off before I hit the water.

3event
07-01-2009, 09:30 AM
My vote - ALL IN, double boots.

Years ago on a Jobe ski (dating myself:D), we had one boot and RTP. On a classic OTF fall, ski did not release, ski hit water while I was airborne. Several stress fractures in ankle. Next ski was Connelly Concept with double boots. Currently on System 8 with Animals. Never had any problems since going double boot.

Bought my wife her first real slalom last year and convinced her to go double boot as well.

CameronCarey
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I have the Wiley's too and they come off on most hard falls. I went over the front so hard in NC, that I felt them come off before I hit the water.

Been there done that, even got out the Oh

Jesus_Freak
07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
In such a case................ assess if all limbs are still attached..........then decide what your prefrence is .........in the event it happens again!

Well, I do this nearly weekly and still prefer to keep my Approach bindings. :)

Jesus_Freak
07-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Any other bad injuries from falling?

Cuts on forehead from loose ski (before I had Approach bindings) and ruptured eardrum from hitting the water.

Much worse has been reported on this site.

Thumbs
07-08-2009, 04:28 PM
OUCH!!!!

And "Doh!"

Stupid me, in hindsight. I'm active, my wife is not but she can get up on skis, etc.

6th time out on our first boat (Love it!), 2nd time up on skis in over a decade and she was skiing along nicely until she did the splits and faceplant. I came around to her floating on her back, both skis still on, in obvious serious pain. Man am I glad we have a swim platform! We were able to get her into the boat, etc. She tore a bunch of muscles in her hamstring area and has bruising from the top of her thigh to her ankle, full width of her leg, and is still in lots of pain 9 days later- MRI tonight to see what is going on.

I do wonder if the skis releasing would have been better for her, or if the loose bindings would have caused the fall sooner.

So- lesson to share:
Inactive folks should REALLY do some sort of conditioning before hopping into skiing, etc. Even if it is just some jumping jacks, lunges, stretching, etc. for a couple of weeks before getting on the water for the first time in years.

On the up side- now I have a full time driver! ;)

Chicago190
07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I think as a general rule of thumb, your injury will be less serious if your ski stays on or comes off completely. The really nasty accidents are more likely to happen if one foot comes out and the other stays does not. That said, I have Radar Rail boots and not only are they the most comfortable boots I've ever tried, they are also consistent on releases. They do not come off in falls where my body is relatively stable relative to the ski (e.g. I bite it pulling out or in the turn), but if I go OTF crossing the wake then you better believe my ski will be 100 yards behind me.