PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

helton333
06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I went with the Optima blue top (2) with the Borg Warner relay between when Key hot. Worked great until the starter battery failed - took a while to diagnose. I will not buy another Optima. There is a reason Bass people who live and die by batteries have shunned them - just my opinion.

Anybody had good luck with Die-Hard - or what other do you recommend. It is a 1989 PS so it has to fit that dinky little box - 7x7x10.

brucemac
06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
knock on wood, but i don't understand why they get such a bad rap. i'm not doubting people have issues, but i've used them in multi-batt setups for 5 years now and have been really happy with them. just lucky i guess.

fwiw, i've heard really good things about the Deka AGM's. (2) Deka Group 24's is almost equivelant to (3) blue tops in terms of amp hours. not as much reserve capacity and i believe the cranking amps is a little lower, but from what i've heard, they're very good. Deka oem's West Marine's Sea Volt line. You'll pay a little more, but the warranty and return policy is pretty good through West Marine if you have one nearby.

hawaiianstiln
06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
never had any problems with the blue tops. I had a 4 battery blue top optima setup in my last boat and they ROCKED (1 start, 3 stereo/accessories).

I will keep on buying them too.

east tx skier
06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
I went with the Optima blue top (2) with the Borg Warner relay between when Key hot. Worked great until the starter battery failed - took a while to diagnose. I will not buy another Optima. There is a reason Bass people who live and die by batteries have shunned them - just my opinion.

Anybody had good luck with Die-Hard - or what other do you recommend. It is a 1989 PS so it has to fit that dinky little box - 7x7x10.

I had a blue top peter out on me after less than a year, too. Went back to a Delco battery. Previously was still going strong after four years when I sold my MC.

brucemac
06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
hey hawaiianstiln, did you keep the stereo bank hooked up to the charging system, or was it just completely seperated? just added a 3rd blue top (2 for stereo) and am considering just pulling them out of the charging loop and charging them off the water at home. right now just using a battery seperator/combiner to keep the start batt safe. /end threadjack

mpabreo
06-30-2009, 02:57 PM
my dealer quit putting optima batteries in their MCs, currently using interstate batteries. but im sure i'll switch to kinetik or deka AGM batteries soon.

helton333
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I went with the new platinum Die Hard today - not cheap but 4 years, total replacement - I got $39 bucks back from a $200 optima.

The warranty alone warrants a $149 price tag, in my book.

Patrick Hardy
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I went with the new platinum Die Hard today - not cheap but 4 years, total replacement - I got $39 bucks back from a $200 optima.

The warranty alone warrants a $149 price tag, in my book.

That is a good price for a Platinum series battery, which battery did you get at that price?
All of the Sear stores near me and on the web show the Die Hard Platinum series starting at $189.99.

helton333
06-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I got $30 bucks off and they were an additional $10 refund for the core charge - I think the price before all that was what you quoted.

Patrick Hardy
06-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Good deal for you. I was told by a friend in the battery industry that the Optima Battery quality has declined since they were sold last. I can not remember which of the big 3 manufacturers sold it and which one bought it? Just that the quality declined and the return rate has gone way up.