PDA

View Full Version : $435 to replace injector

mbeach
05-26-2005, 11:32 AM
:eek: yo troops. just had to have an injector replaced on my son's nissan to the tune of $435 big ones. injector was about $150 and rest labor including recalibrating rest of injectors. reason i share this is the debate over efi vs. carb engines. i personally like the eft engine better for the reasons previously discussed, but replacing an injector may be a big ouch dollar wise. i had always thought that properly maintained efi engines run for ever. guess those pesky little injectors can fail also.

jsonova99
05-26-2005, 11:45 AM
You can buy a carburetor for less! It's a trade-off. I love my carbureted engine, and I'm still uncertain which direction i will lean next time. I did a rebuild and it cost me $45 and about 3 hours of my time. I think it totally depends on what you're doing with the boat. For me taking it out a few times a month and not being a great skiier, simplicity is more important than pure performance.

bret
05-26-2005, 11:52 AM
depending on the ohm of the injector or height design, you need to check these out:

www.rceng.com
www.injector.com

The calibration is BS unless you have a race engine running big hp or turbo/supercharger for air/fuel ratios. Injectors flow a certian amount (lbs or cc)at a given fuel pressure, most either high impedence or low impedence - and if you try to change that you have to install ballast resistors to fix that so the level of resistance doesn't burn up the injector driver board in the ECM, DME, whatever type of control module you have. But Nissan could have a special connector or design so that you have to buy from them.

When you look at what it takes to fire an injector at the right time and control the voltage to the injector: air temp, air flow through the MAF (which controls almost all of the voltage resistance for fuel injector control), TPS signal, possible MAP pressure, O2 sensor input if in closed loop - all this takes place in milliseconds - it's pretty amazing.