PDA

View Full Version : trailering advise

85mc
06-30-2009, 02:17 AM
heading out on a 6 hour road trip. Wondering if I should tow with the tower up, or down strapped to the bow grab rail. Seems to wiggle a bit when trailering. It is an 04 X9 with a zero flex.
Thanks Grant

stennes
06-30-2009, 02:44 AM
heading out on a 6 hour road trip. Wondering if I should tow with the tower up, or down strapped to the bow grab rail. Seems to wiggle a bit when trailering. It is an 04 X9 with a zero flex.
Thanks Grant

They wiggle on the water too:D

85mc
06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
good point

ORX-1
06-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I make a 7 hour trip once a year and I leave the tower up and have never had any issues.

Hrkdrivr
06-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I definitely leave it up. In the up position it'll likely flex/wiggle less on the road than on the water. I know my boat gets jarred much harder crossing chop and wakes than anything I encounter on the road.

Plus, when it's up, you're taking advantage of all the structural strength built into the tower. When it's down I'd worry that forces that would normally be dampened by the cage-like (up) structure would be transmitted to the mounting points, un-dampened, and in directions other than which they were designed to handle.

Re-reading what I just wrote, it doesn't sound as clear as what's in my mind...

Roonie's
06-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Depends on the length. A six hour drive I always tow with it folded. I have now towed a total of 6000 miles with my trailer halfway across the country three times. I did it once with tower up and my fuel mileage took a significant hit at least 2 mpg difference. I did the same trip with tower down and saved a whole tank of fuel and additional stop and fill up. Also with the tower up it gets covered in bug splat and is a pain to clean.

I put a piece of 1 x 6 across the vinyl sunpad and wrap it in a really soft towel. Then I tape this to the tower so it supports it on the vinyl and it doesn't hurt the vinyl as well. Also I tape the front tower beams together so no chance they bounce around and put a piece of towel under them as well where they touch the vinyl. I also put the platform on the back seats and tie it in so it keeps any seat cushions from flying out. I never tow with a cover. This is a fool proof method that works for me now on these trips.

85mc
06-30-2009, 05:41 PM
thx for all the input

mcskier
06-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Despite the potential mileage issues I'd say keep it up and wrap it in shrink wrap to keep the bugs off...:D

VOLFAN
07-01-2009, 12:23 AM
if you have a paddlewheel style speedo either put the plug in that they come with or put a piece of tape over the paddlewheel.....

I had a trip spoiled earlier this year by not doing so.

JohnE
07-01-2009, 12:42 AM
I tow with the tower up. I've done about 5K miles this way. No issues other than the bugs.

I can't imagine towing with tower down, but on my X14, the tower doesn't sit well in the down position.

Thrall
07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
I usually tow w/ it up, but leave it down for long trips. Helps with fuel mileage a little and keeps the bugz off of it. If you tow with it up, put some painters masking tape on all the fwd acing surfaces. Then you can peel the bugs off instead of scrubbing them off.

FancySauceRules
07-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Despite the potential mileage issues I'd say keep it up and wrap it in shrink wrap to keep the bugs off...:D

I doing my first 5+ hour tow this weekend and was going to shrink wrap the tower, anyone ever tried this?

DryHop
07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Slight hijack, but any suggestions on the best boat cover solution for long hauls? I've got an X2 and both the synch-down mooring cover, and the 2-piece snap-on covers. I recall reading that the synch-down may cause scratches in the gel on a long haul. What is the preferred solution? Snap-on or maybe no cover at all? (tried a quick search but couln't find that thread).