PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 214 skiability?

jake
06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
So, thinking of upgrading the old pull boat. Sold the pontoon, only boat is now the MC so need something with more room than my current '93 190. Thing is, I love, love, love skiing behind behind my current boat. Also ski often behind my buddy's 2003 Natique 196, which is too good for words. Not sure I could actually pull the trigger and sell my current ride...we've been through so much together!

Question is, does the 214 live up to it's billing? Tournament quality wake in a family friendly boat. Besides wake, is the added size a problem driving the course? Do you mind not having the ski locker at the stern? Where do you store your skis during a normal two or three skier session? Any other things you find notable about your 214 that I probably haven't thought of?

For reference, ski level is intermediate. 34 mph, run 32 off fairly consistently, so not shot-line but I'm also not overly concerned with the '15-22 off bump', which I hear is noticeably larger than the tournament hulls.

I do plan on demoing before I buy, just interested in any initial impressions I can get from current owners before going through the effort to demo.

captain planet
06-30-2009, 08:28 AM
I have skiied the 214, however you are a much better skiier than I based on what you are running. I can say the 15 and 22 off bump is larger than the 197, no question. I can't speak for 32 off, that's way outside my ablilties.

I can say this about the room in the boat. I took a barefoot clinic with Keith St. Onge last year at our lake and we took the 214 (actually X-14). There were 5 footers plus Mr. St. Onge. It's been almost a year since the clinic and my buddies and I who took it still talk about how much room we had in the boat and even with 6 people in it for 8 hours. We didn't really feel like we were on top of each other. There is NO way we would have been able to do that in a 197 and been as comfortable as we were.

The other thing you may run into is if you get a tower and ski into 32 off the rope may touch the tower when you are out getting the bouys. A slalom ski will fit under the observer seat and under the seat behind the driver if you have no ballast tank (I think).

I would REALLY recommend skiing one on demo and take it through the course before considering buying one. Especially if you are skiing at that level.

Hope this helps.

shepherd
06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I skied at 32 off and 35 off behind JohnE's 214 and didn't notice the rope hitting the tower, and John said it didn't. But I may not have been getting out wide enough since we found out later that the course was narrow by about 5 feet. At the shorter line lengths, I didn't even notice the wake. At longer line lengths, the wake had a more pronounced bump than on my 197, but definitely not bad.

The slalom wake obviously won't be as sweet as on your 190. If you're running 32 off and shorter, I don't expect the wake would be an issue at all. The boat is larger, but it fit through the boat guides in the course without problem. My wife found it very easy to drive through the course - it probably tracked better than our 197. All in all, it's a very nice all-around boat.

woftam
06-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure the OP is referring to line length? It's a bit confusing, but the OP may just be referencing speed? A clarification would help.

jake
06-30-2009, 09:42 AM
wouldn't have a tower, so not concerned about that. Thanks for the feedback and input, any others?

The 'OP' is referring to speed and line length....think most got it.

34 mph
Line length 32-off

jake
06-30-2009, 10:25 AM
How does the 214 compare to the 209?

André
06-30-2009, 10:41 AM

All the wake critics seems to be that the 214 wake is much better then the 209.

/You could also look at the new CC 200...:o

JohnE
06-30-2009, 10:46 AM
First, the bump at 15 and 22 isn't much different than the 197 at 34 or 36 mph. And I've had both. When I got my first X14 my ski buddy commented that the wake at 15 and 22 was better than the 197. I thought he was crazy until I got back there. Still thought I must be mis-remembering my 197, but ran it by someone else who agreed.

And the difference at shorter lenths is negligible as well.

The big boat handles very much like the 197.

You can fit a couple of ski's under the observers seat and there is an in floor locker as well. I have the X14 so I use the tower racks since it has ballast tank in the the floor locker.

Personally I don't miss the ski locker. The added room without it more than offsets it's usefulness. And it's nice not stepping over or on it to get to the platform.
CP is right, the rope will hit the tower around 32 off. Although I have had good skiers free skiing that length and it didn't happen. So might be more like 35. Or 32 in the course presuming the skier will be wider than he was free skiing.

Can't beat the room. At csm we had 6 (!!!) people in the boat while pulling skiers. And these were good skiers. 2 in the bow, 2 in obs. seat, driver, and one in lounge behind driver. (Keeping his head back so the rope wouldn't decapitate him.) Granted we weren't skiing the course. And with them skiing 32 off, there was no wake.

Good luck, and definitely demo one.

shepherd
06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
John,

How is the wake for surfing? Have you had success with that yet?

JohnE
06-30-2009, 10:56 AM
John,

How is the wake for surfing? Have you had success with that yet?

Haven't had a chance to pick up any additional sacs. But with just standard ballast and 2 people in the back we one of my buddies was able to ride without the rope. I haven't been able to lose the rope, but I'm getting closer. I'll post some pics when I have time - maybe tonight. I'm trying to round up some of my fat friends to get out there, but it's been raining for the better part of the month here. I figure with 4 of them I can have better than a thousand pounds of temporary ballast to try things out.:D

André
06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
...but it's been raining for the better part of the month here. :D

You got those weird wind directions lately too?Just got back from skiing and the wind was 180' from normal...

corey
06-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Jake, let me know when you are ready to demo and we'll throw a 214 in the water! I'm trying to get one out on Minnewashta as there is a course out there that I can get access to but we can hit up pretty much anywhere.

JohnE
06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
You got those weird wind directions lately too?Just got back from skiing and the wind was 180' from normal...

Yeah we do. But in our case it vastly improves our course conditions. The course is not in the optimal location, but is in the only location it can be.

shepherd
06-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Haven't had a chance to pick up any additional sacs. But with just standard ballast and 2 people in the back we one of my buddies was able to ride without the rope. I haven't been able to lose the rope, but I'm getting closer. I'll post some pics when I have time - maybe tonight. I'm trying to round up some of my fat friends to get out there, but it's been raining for the better part of the month here. I figure with 4 of them I can have better than a thousand pounds of temporary ballast to try things out.:D

See, that's why I like the 214/X14 -- versatility. You can surf and board behind it without losing course skiing capability. Plus, you have room on it for a party. Put a couple fishing rod holders and a fishfinder in it, and you have the ultimate pleasure boat. :D

bbymgr
06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
See, that's why I like the 214/X14 -- versatility. You can surf and board behind it without losing course skiing capability. Plus, you have room on it for a party. Put a couple fishing rod holders and a fishfinder in it, and you have the ultimate pleasure boat. :D

Don't forget Sodar's Tube.:D:D

ProTour X9
06-30-2009, 11:24 AM

209's only advantages is more storage, better ride, and a little better handling :(

jake
06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Jake, let me know when you are ready to demo and we'll throw a 214 in the water! I'm trying to get one out on Minnewashta as there is a course out there that I can get access to but we can hit up pretty much anywhere.

Thanks Corey. BTW, you were right about my garage door, it's 105 wide...so should fit without modifying the guides. Am still interested in precise LOA measurement on the trailer. Current garage is 23 deep, but like I said we are moving and would like to know what my future garage requirements would be.

rodltg2
06-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Jake, I would think that if you are running 32 and beyond you would be much happier with a 197 .Also just because you are running 32 fairly often, I can't imagine that you are going out at 32. So I would think you still run your opening passes at 22and 28. You may also want to consider the other folks you ski with. If they ski longer slower speeds they may not like the way it the 214 skiis and maybe harder to get them to come out. Obvioulsy I don't know your specifc needs or how you plan to use your boat, but if your a 32off skier , i imagine your a hardcore skier.
I can't say much about the 214 as i have never skied or driven one, but the 197 is the preffered slalom tug in the MC line up. Or you could just wait till August and get the SN 200 like somone else posted :D

Sodar
06-30-2009, 12:30 PM

It is almost a perfect boat.

214= No Sunpad... very bad.

corey
06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Jake,

The 214 is 22'4" with the platform and hitch folded.

Jesus_Freak
06-30-2009, 12:58 PM
...I can't say much about the 214 as i have never skied or driven one, but the 197 is the preffered slalom tug in the MC line up...

I assume you mean in the current MC line-up. :)

Out of curiosity (not necessarily related to the OP), does anyone still buy the 190? How does a new 190 compare to the older 205 in terms of slalom wake?

jake
06-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Jake, I would think that if you are running 32 and beyond you would be much happier with a 197 .Also just because you are running 32 fairly often, I can't imagine that you are going out at 32. So I would think you still run your opening passes at 22and 28. You may also want to consider the other folks you ski with. If they ski longer slower speeds they may not like the way it the 214 skiis and maybe harder to get them to come out. Obvioulsy I don't know your specifc needs or how you plan to use your boat, but if your a 32off skier , i imagine your a hardcore skier.
I can't say much about the 214 as i have never skied or driven one, but the 197 is the preffered slalom tug in the MC line up. Or you could just wait till August and get the SN 200 like somone else posted :D

Rod: If I was looking for a perfect ski machine, I'd keep my 190 on the lift and my money in the bank. Trying to strike a reasonable balance between family friendly boat and course skiability. Yes, we start our sets at 22 off, but an increased 22 bump might be a reasonable compromise to accommodate the family boating requirements. Don't want to deal with wake issues at shorter line lengths. And if possible, wouldn't mind a boat with better spray control than my current '93 where spray can be an issue in a head wind. I am also considering the SN 200, but you know the deal...brand loyalty.

woftam
06-30-2009, 01:01 PM
This site may be a good place to start. However, and with all due respect, you'll probably do better by combining a search here with other sources. Try contacting rated tournament drivers and other slalom skiers running 32 off or better.

I made a quick call to a source who skis lots of different tournament boats. Summary of the response is the 197 is the prefered pull from MC at deep short line lengths, but the 214 is not far behind. Many prefer the 214 at long line or initial line shortenings. From a driver's standpoint, they are different, but each handles well. Both are fine and it comes down to personal preference as indicated by a disagreement between a couple of accomplished tournament drivers. 214 offers more space. Layout is different between the two and boils down to personal preference and features you value.

You are accomplished enough in the course to appreciate that the skill of the driver, weight of the crew, fuel on board, and weight distribution of the crew will all impact the quality of the demo. Reducing the variables will help you to compare apples to apples.

shepherd
06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Rod: If I was looking for a perfect ski machine, I'd keep my 190 on the lift and my money in the bank. Trying to strike a reasonable balance between family friendly boat and course skiability.

You probably already know this, but the 197 will give you significantly more "family-friendly" room than your 190. My 197 is also roomier than my friend's PS205. So, depending on the size of your family a 197 may fill the bill. Plus, as an added bonus, it has a killer sun pad. :D

sully
06-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Jake,

The 214 is 22'4" with the platform and hitch folded.

Jake,
The 214 can be squeezed into a 22' foot garage, Cory and company were of great help to me. We really enjoy our 214.

93Prostar190
06-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Well I did it ... traded my 93 PS 190 on a 08 214 and I do not regret it at all ... I ski the course but with the mini tower the family and I enjoy all other activities. The space is awesome .... the wake is darn good .... the 350 mcx is just as strong as my old powerslot ....

do it .... you'll enjoy it in the course .... it rocks!

3event
06-30-2009, 10:52 PM
How do you like the minitower? With a lot of people in the boat, is it a pain to keep ducking around and under it? Does it give a decent pull height for the boarders? I'm still rocking the fly high pole on my 197. A full tower is going to require some Shore Station adjustments that could be expensive depending on what I decide to do if/when I upgrade.

JohnE
06-30-2009, 11:36 PM
I personally hated the mini tower on my 197. And it was on 05 which was better imo than the new ones. Ducking under it would suck. Looks great tho. I'd go full tower or no tower.

93Prostar190
07-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Do I like the mini-tower? I really do ....
1. The lines of the boat look better to me with a mini-tower vs. a full tower.
2. I am not a die-hard boarder so the pull would be adequate for beginner to middle of the road boarders ... but if you are more serious about boarding then an x14 with full tower or any of the other X boats may be more up your alley.
3. The minitower legs don't go too far back on the boat so they do not interfere with course skiing. (pics included)
4. The mini tower does require you to duck down when you move around .... the integrated bimni is pretty sweet and worth it (pics included)
5. The mini tower is great for kneeboarding, and also pulling barefooters.
6. Hanging speakers or lights on the mini-tower is not much of an option on the lower side of it .... then you will really need to watch your space.

We are mostly a skiing family so we went 214 instead of x14 so the lack of ballast on our boat helps increase storage space .... you will also notice we don't have racks on the mini-tower. As my kids get older they may insist on a bigger tower ....
Those are my $0.02 ...... I am sure you will enjoy whatever options you choose. (I do still miss parts of my 93 PS 190, but I'll tell you that I have not suffered in any loss of skiing performance as reported by me or anyone else that skis behind my boat.)

JohnE
07-01-2009, 08:56 AM
The location of the new mini tower is awful, IMO. Having to duck to get under it would drive me crazy. With the 05 tower, you didn't really need to duck under it. The tradeoff is that if you stood up from the observer seat and were over 5'8" tall you'd smash your head if you weren't aware of it.

I still think it looks great - better than the full tower on the 214 IMO.

But for serious course skiers, the full tower will snag the rope at short line lenths.

jake
07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Well I did it ... traded my 93 PS 190 on a 08 214 and I do not regret it at all ... I ski the course but with the mini tower the family and I enjoy all other activities. The space is awesome .... the wake is darn good .... the 350 mcx is just as strong as my old powerslot ....

do it .... you'll enjoy it in the course .... it rocks!

93' this is great, good to hear from someone that made the same jump I'm considering.

Age Fighter
07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
The ski ability comments are interesting. From what I can tell from MC dealers in my area, the 214 / X-14 was the answer to the 209 / X-9 cross over being better than expected for wake boarding but not as good for slalom as expected. The X-14 seems to cross over with the emphasis back to slalom.

Chicago190
07-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Do I like the mini-tower? I really do ....
1. The lines of the boat look better to me with a mini-tower vs. a full tower.
2. I am not a die-hard boarder so the pull would be adequate for beginner to middle of the road boarders ... but if you are more serious about boarding then an x14 with full tower or any of the other X boats may be more up your alley.
3. The minitower legs don't go too far back on the boat so they do not interfere with course skiing. (pics included)
4. The mini tower does require you to duck down when you move around .... the integrated bimni is pretty sweet and worth it (pics included)
5. The mini tower is great for kneeboarding, and also pulling barefooters.
6. Hanging speakers or lights on the mini-tower is not much of an option on the lower side of it .... then you will really need to watch your space.

We are mostly a skiing family so we went 214 instead of x14 so the lack of ballast on our boat helps increase storage space .... you will also notice we don't have racks on the mini-tower. As my kids get older they may insist on a bigger tower ....
Those are my $0.02 ...... I am sure you will enjoy whatever options you choose. (I do still miss parts of my 93 PS 190, but I'll tell you that I have not suffered in any loss of skiing performance as reported by me or anyone else that skis behind my boat.)

I just wanna say your boat is awesome. If it's for sale in 10 years when I've worn out my 190 I'll buy it.

JohnE
07-02-2009, 07:49 AM
The ski ability comments are interesting. From what I can tell from MC dealers in my area, the 214 / X-14 was the answer to the 209 / X-9 cross over being better than expected for wake boarding but not as good for slalom as expected. The X-14 seems to cross over with the emphasis back to slalom.

209 is not a flat bottom boat. 214 is. So I think each model met the expectations. The 209 was never designed to be a record capable slalom tug. At least that is my understanding.

Sodar
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I dig the mini towers on the 214. New style or old style, it is the same height as a bimini, so might as well add some function to the boat as well. I boat about 98% of the time with mu bimini up, so ducking is not an issue. The bimini's on the full towers are so high up in the air that the allow very little protection.

Good Looking boat, 93... first 214 I have seen with a mini... just needs a sunpad and a traditional layout and it would be PERFECT!

Scott
07-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Does anyone have a problem with the 214 not having a built in cooler?? I was looking at it and if you put a decent sized ice chest in the 214, you have to walk over it all day and you would loose alot of the space advantage.. Just curious what yall thought??

Sodar
07-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have a problem with the 214 not having a built in cooler?? I was looking at it and if you put a decent sized ice chest in the 214, you have to walk over it all day and you would loose alot of the space advantage.. Just curious what yall thought??

My honest opinion is that the layout sucks for coolers, storage, etc. In my 197, the easy-up shade, beach chairs, and soft coolers go on the floor behind the driver's seat. They work great there and are not in the way for people to be stepping over. On the 214, if I wanted to store any extra items, it would be on the floor between the back seat and the observers' seat.... in the way of everyone. Besides all this, the boat does not have a damn sunpad!! :mad:

Morning JohnE! 8p

Age Fighter
07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
209 is not a flat bottom boat. 214 is. So I think each model met the expectations. The 209 was never designed to be a record capable slalom tug. At least that is my understanding.

As a new MC owner -- buying an 03 X-9 last year was my first MC -- I can only tell you what my impression was of the X-9 / PS209's as a shopper one year ago -- and depending on the MC website and dealer network for info.

That impression was that all PSs, including the 209, are slalom boats with of course DD set ups. The X-9 is simply the 209 plus tower and built in ballasts and aggressive graphics so it can also sell as a cross over. But the implication is clear: a slalom boat at its core set up with the X package to cross over.

Now I am a tad disappointed in the ski ability of this boat, which is a darn decent wake board boat. (I'm the old dad who likes to slalom, not board....) I think MC was too -- thus the reason they quickly added the hooked hull in 03 and redesigned it as the 214 a couple years later with a flatter hull.

The implication from the dealers on this was clear too -- the 214 / X-14 is the 209/X-9 with a better slalom hull and more room -- going right after the family where the bill payer likes to slalom but wants a board boat for his kids, etc.

I imagine if I had been an MC owner for a boat or two before my purchase last summer, I would have realized more about the 209 hull etc going in. Having said that, beats the hell out of skiing behind a 24 foot Cobalt....

lives4h20
07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I just upgraded and bought the X-14 (214) this year. I also was skeptical about the wake but frankly found no discernable difference in the wake between that and my older 190. Perhaps a little more square, but great none the less at all line lengths. At the time I spoke to a guy who ran a ski school and ran X-14's but owned a 197 and his startement to me was, "I'll buy it from you if you can tell the difference." Now that I have ski'd it and driven it, I'd agree.

The boat is flat out awesome!

shepherd
07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Has anybody slalomed behind the 214V? That boat is a US Waterski-approved record capable 3-event tow boat - according to Mastercraft I would think the wake is definitely different with the CG shifted aft(?)

Also, does anyone know about some new boat called the Malicraft? I thought I read somewhere that they will be offering a world-record capable V-drive slalom boat.

Scott
07-03-2009, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=Sodar;611181]My honest opinion is that the layout sucks for coolers, storage, etc. In my 197, the easy-up shade, beach chairs, and soft coolers go on the floor behind the driver's seat. They work great there and are not in the way for people to be stepping over. On the 214, if I wanted to store any extra items, it would be on the floor between the back seat and the observers' seat.... in the way of everyone. Besides all this, the boat does not have a damn sunpad!! :mad:

Thats what I was thinking, when I sat around in one and was thinking about the important stuff(coolers).. I also agree with sunpad thing, we spend alot of time in the back area of the boat..although the x14v is looking better in that area.. dont know about the cooler issue..

lives4h20
07-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I have not slalomed behind the 214V, but I was steered away from it from a slalom perspective because of the V. Was told it's just not the same. My PS 190 had a lot of storage and yes, I did lose some hidden storage, but with the board racks, I really don't miss any of it. I like others on this thread am the slalom skier (old dad) and want the wakes for sure but the kids want the board setup. So I went for the DD. They get the tower and 3 ballasts and I get the slalom wake...:-) They basically took their performance hull design from the PS 195/97 and applied it to this configuration to get the performance. I would suggest that if you are really worried about it, go find a dealer and get them to take you for a pull.

JohnE
07-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I put my cooler in front of the wrap around seat on the port side. That is where the optional jump seat would go. I bought the jump seat with my '08, but didn't really like it. You do have to step over it, but it isn't a big deal to me. It also doubles as convenient seating. I often have people sit on it. So often that I've thought about having a padded top made for it to match the interior.

Alternately, I sometimes will put the cooler behind the motor box and passengers will put their feet on it. This is where the optional sunpad cushion goes. (How's that, Sodar?;))

And occasionally it goes in the bow.

This isn't a small cooler. It's the coleman stainless steel 54 quart. But the giant ones fit these locations as well.

As far as the V-drive, I prefer the interior layout of the DD. Spreads people out.