PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline Recommendations Needed

Rockman
06-29-2009, 06:37 PM
We are thinking about buying a trampoline for our daughter who is 3 now and jumps around the house like a monkey on crack sometimes :firejump:. She has so much energy to burn and everytime we go over to a friend's house, she loves jumping on their trampoline for a hours.

I know that these are the most unsafe things to buy due to the number of reported injuries, but if we did make the purchase, which one would you recommend based on your experience? Or which one to stay away from.

We do not want to spend $1,000 on the springless ones like at Costco, but want to stay away from the cheap ones that may be sold like at a Walmart as some of the reviews have been below average.

The trampoline would not be something we would invite the whole neighborhood over to use so we would like to purchase something that is of good qaulity but and we can keep for a number of years and take care of.

We have looked at:
SkyWalker
JumpSport (this is what our friend has)
JumpKing
Springless Trampoline (at Costco)
Basic ones like at Menards

We want a round 14 to 15 foot one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

RM

flipper
06-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Neighbors got one from costco, but not the $1000 one. I think they paid closer to $400 or so. Nice set up with the safety net and all and seems to be built well. I know a few people with the same one and no problems.

Ramhouse
06-29-2009, 07:15 PM
i have one cheap. got it at sams. my son doesn't use it anymore. where u at?

Rockman
06-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Flipper,

Can you find out the brand name for me?

Rockman
06-29-2009, 08:21 PM
i have one cheap. got it at sams. my son doesn't use it anymore. where u at?

Sorry Ram...Location: SW Burbs of Chi-Town

Footin
06-29-2009, 09:21 PM
John, I am not trying to kill your fun, but make sure you check with your homeowners insurance.

Mine has special clauses for trampolines.

BriEOD
06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
We had one in FL. The kids had some fun on it but what a PITA. It kills the grass under it. You have to either move it to mow, or weed eat around it. The safety net kept falling as the elastic and zip ties would sun dry regularly. When we moved I had to disassemble is just to give it away.

I wouldn't do it again...

MCVOLS
06-29-2009, 11:10 PM
We have one for our kids, got it when they were 6 & 3 and they are now 11 & 8. Ours is a Jumpsport. I did the same research you are talking about, not wanting to drop too much, but not the bottom dollar either. The one we have has the net around the outside of the poles - which are padded, and every other spring is 'offset' to keep the 'double bounce' down to a minimum. (springs are all the same size, but every other connection is different - the jump sport web site talks about it.) Had to get a new pad at about 3 yrs, and probably need another one. Lots of fun for the kids, but put some rules in place for safety. Ours is only 2 kids at a time.

Rockman
06-30-2009, 01:06 AM
John, I am not trying to kill your fun, but make sure you check with your homeowners insurance.

Mine has special clauses for trampolines.

Mike, I'll check ours out tomorrow. What does your say?

Rockman
06-30-2009, 01:08 AM
We have one for our kids, got it when they were 6 & 3 and they are now 11 & 8. Ours is a Jumpsport. I did the same research you are talking about, not wanting to drop too much, but not the bottom dollar either. The one we have has the net around the outside of the poles - which are padded, and every other spring is 'offset' to keep the 'double bounce' down to a minimum. (springs are all the same size, but every other connection is different - the jump sport web site talks about it.) Had to get a new pad at about 3 yrs, and probably need another one. Lots of fun for the kids, but put some rules in place for safety. Ours is only 2 kids at a time.

Yes, the JumpSport seemed to be one of the better ones we have been looking at.

I agree with having rules in place so to try to limit the number of injuries.

We are not sure if we will get one this summer or wait until next year. With it being the 4th of July aleady, we may wait until the end of the season and see what deals come about.

Thanks for your reply.

peason
06-30-2009, 09:33 AM
We have a 15 foot Jump King that we bought from a sporting goods store. Kids are 16,14,12 and 9They all have been using this trampoline for at least 5 years now. 14 year old daughter is a gymnast. We just replaced the protective netting around the outside this year - went online and ordered the part.
We have the green pad around the outside covering the springs - it blends in really well with the woods and lawn - this would be my suggestion. The ones that are blue and yellow seem to stick out a lot. I would not call my home insurance - they don't like trampolines.

gregte
06-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Look on craigslist, there's always a bunch for sale on there.

shepherd
06-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm not speaking from experience, but I read that some insurance companies flat out forbid them. Period. If they find out you have one in your yard, they'll cancel your policy immediately. You could probably get away with it without them knowing, but if a neighbor kid gets hurt you may end up being stuck for some pretty big liability. I'd check first.

kawagaskier
06-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Wehad one when I was growing up (14' Diameter, spring type), and it was a blast. We would constantly have a line of neighborhood kids waiting for a turn on it. And people constantly fell off but luckily no-one ever was hurt. Worst that would happen is occasionally some kid would go home crying... We had a pretty close knit neighborhood though and it was never an issue when someones children would come home all bruised up. I personally have fallen off probably a hundred times with no injury worse than having the wind knocked out of me or the hair stripped from the sides of my legs when they'd fall between the springs. They are great in my opinion, but I do understand the safety concerns.

flipper
06-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Flipper,

Can you find out the brand name for me?

Yes, I'll check on it tonight for you

bobbyB
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
I saw a home owner who had installed a tramp at a new house I was inspecting that I thought was a great way to go.

He dug a round pit that I assume was about 3ft deep and put the tramp down in it so it was level with the surrounding ground. Then he put sand in a 5ft swath around it too. If a kid did fall off, they weren't falling down the 3 ft and it was soft sand.

robisjo
06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I saw a home owner who had installed a tramp at a new house I was inspecting that I thought was a great way to go.

He dug a round pit that I assume was about 3ft deep and put the tramp down in it so it was level with the surrounding ground. Then he put sand in a 5ft swath around it too. If a kid did fall off, they weren't falling down the 3 ft and it was soft sand.

I dug a pit and sunk mine level with the ground. A lot of work for a $200 tampoline but well worth it and I don't have the netting that goes around it. Its at ground level and has been that way for five years with no injuries. All the kids love it.

Rockman
06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
I checked our policy last night and no mention of anything related to trampolines.

So I checked out State Farm's website (who we are insured thru) and they have a section related to Summer Maintenance Tips for Your House. Included in this section was the following:

Trampoline Safety
Trampolines should be used only with adult supervision, including spotters.
Beginners should wear elbow and knee pads over their clothing.
No jewelry, belts with buckles or other dangling items should be worn.
Place the trampoline away from obstructions and use ground mats to soften a fall. (The surface surrounding the trampoline should be soft.)
There should be only one person on a trampoline at a time; horseplay should not be permitted.
No one should use the trampoline when tired, on medication or under the influence of alcohol.
Consider using safety devices, such as a harness-like belt that attaches to the sides of the trampoline to keep the jumper centered.
Somersaults are the leading cause of quadriplegic injuries. They should never be allowed.

Definitely something to check into with your insurance company before purchasing.