PDA

View Full Version : no steering on a 2001 x5

badrad187
06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
so it got hard to turn the wheel and then whent to nothing and i lost all steering. so im thinking steering cable right but i know nothing about the way this boats steering is set up.
where do i look and what do i do.what do u guys think needs to be replaced. im just looking for some directions so i dont go out there and look in the wrong places because i dont even no where the cable is at but i would say under the dash. so any help or ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,
badrad

bigmac
06-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Detach the steering cable from the tiller and make sure the rudder turns freely. Then replace the steering cable.

badrad187
06-29-2009, 01:02 PM
ok thanks
badrad

badrad187
06-29-2009, 01:03 PM
wheres the best place to buy a cable

flipper
06-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Either a dealer or Skidim

dougl
06-29-2009, 01:37 PM
must be "that time" for the 2001's.. :) finally got my boat out to the water and the steering was tight, must have got some water in before going into storage for the season since it was fine at the end of last year.

How difficult is it to replace - talked to the local shop and they can't get it in till 7/15 and said it would cost ~$450 - looked at skidim and the cable's look to be under 150. I can get to the rudder connection (tried to lube it) but getting under the dash doesn't look like fun.

Wondering if it's worth the effort (back pain) to replace it myself?

badrad187 - sorry for the thread jack.

badrad187
06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
must be "that time" for the 2001's.. :) finally got my boat out to the water and the steering was tight, must have got some water in before going into storage for the season since it was fine at the end of last year.

How difficult is it to replace - talked to the local shop and they can't get it in till 7/15 and said it would cost ~$450 - looked at skidim and the cable's look to be under 150. I can get to the rudder connection (tried to lube it) but getting under the dash doesn't look like fun.

Wondering if it's worth the effort (back pain) to replace it myself?

badrad187 - sorry for the thread jack.

its cool i want to know the same thing is it hard to do or can i do it in a few hours. how hard is it to get to.its finaly under 100 so im going to try it today.

dougl
06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
good luck - let me know how it goes..

bigmac
06-30-2009, 06:53 PM
The most commonly reported tip for replacing the steering cable is to detach it from both ends, then tie a cord from the old one to the new one so that you can pull the new one in as you pull the old one out. Some people have said that there might be some clips or ties somewhere along the way under the flooring, and in that case a floor panel or two may need to be removed. That's usually not too big a deal if it's necessary.

badrad187
07-02-2009, 02:13 PM
thanks guys new cable in went wakeboarding last night and all is good. my 4th weekend is saved.

thanks,
badrad