PDA

View Full Version : wakesurf board?

wakewander
06-29-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm looking into getting a surf board. Can anyone give me pointers or manufacturers, size, shape. I have grown up surfing on natural waves. I weight 200! It is a light 200! thanks.

Harry Reynolds
06-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I would recommend anything from Inland Surfer, all their boards are great. Also Shred Stixx Ja Mako. For a good board that you (200 lbs) and others can use, you'll need to spend about $400 and up. Have you ridden anything yet? I would advise staying away from the Hyperlite and Liquid Force boards. They are easily bought but not all that great..IMO.

coz
06-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Sorry :o:o I'd still go LF

Harry Reynolds
06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Coz- They are wake boards, Wake surf boards...

wakewander
06-29-2009, 01:39 PM
no i have not ridden any yet. have been wanting to real bad. we used to just take the old surf board behind boat. i was thinking technology has come along way.

Cary K.
06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I 2nd the Inland Surfer recommendation. They have all shapes and sizes for every type of surfing, every weight, and every size wake. They are more expensive, but you get what you pay for (this is a MC site right!)

jbanczak
06-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I have a Phase 5 Oogle - love it, a Liquid Force 4'10" custom - like it slightly better even for certain things, and a Hyperlite Landlock (really beginner only). I'm 200, ride a lot, and the Phase 5 would be a lot of fun.

My next board will likely be the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot though - more flotation for better speed, and from what I can tell it "surfs" better - meaning with 2-4 fins it has more bite in the turns with similar speed down the line.

The Phase 5 can be used for 360's, tricks, etc. and tends to be a little bit slippery. Here is a clip riding the Phase 5... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNwFQ4WedMc. Definitely fast board and keeps you above water pretty well.

sand2snow22
06-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I have ridden a few boards, including an Inland Surfer yellow loogey and a Inland Surfer Blue Lake. Last night was my 3rd time out on my Walker F-18. I cannot say enough good things about this board. It is light and very reactive/fast. Spun 2 360's for the first time. Even beginners can get up on this board! They are spendy, but you do get what you pay for! Spend $500 once, instead of $300-400 twice trying to find the right board.....

Itsme
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I have ridden most brands of surfboards in the past 5 years.

The best board for you depends on what you are looking to do.

For learning - go big Hyperlite
For just spinning - Phase 5 (very slippery board)

Best all around for surf carving, learning and spinning = Liquid Force Custom 4'10"
The LF boards incorporate rocker for turnability,
a soft edge for ease of "lock-in" on the wake,
and enough stiffness to provide a fast ride for larger riders with large and med size wakes.

hawaiianstiln
06-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I was raised in Hawaii and surfed heavily for 25 years on Oahu, Hawaii. It all depends on how you like to surf. When I grew up on Oahu, I would change often to mini tankers to short stick depending on the surf or what I wanted to do (rip it up or just cruise and rip it up a little).

That being said, I ride both the ronix long board (which feels like a mini tanker for me) and the short Ronix surfer and love them both.

I'm not kicking down any other brand out there, but Ronix sponsors me with equipment and I wouldn't ride anything else because I think they are the best. Okay, so I'm biased! :) :)

wakewander
06-29-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm not the cruiser, i like to carve and slash. that is one of the most favorite on the wakeboard as well, getting on toe side fun. are there possibilities of finding good used boards? how does the price relate on a used board vs. a new one?

jbanczak
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
They are pretty tough to find used. You definitely want one of the shorter ones in the sub-5ft range. I am selling my Phase 5 Oogle right now, but would rather not ship it.

craig3972
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
They are pretty tough to find used. You definitely want one of the shorter ones in the sub-5ft range. I am selling my Phase 5 Oogle right now, but would rather not ship it.

why r u selling the oogle?

jbanczak
06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Honestly, to try other things. I have a Liquid Force 4'10" that is kind of beat-up, but still works. They are relatively similar, I don't really do 360's, and the LF is slightly surfier.

I also can't afford to keep too many boards, and I want to get a Sweet Spot.

Probably a mistake - the Oogle is awesome.