PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Problems...

MN_X_Star
06-29-2009, 12:28 PM
This weekend I was putting our 2004 X Star in the water when the brakes locked up while going backwards. I have a good connection as the brake and blinker lights work. For some reason the back up lights are not working when the truck is in reverse. I was able to manually disengage the brakes to get the boat in the water but I would like to try and fix this on my own. I am thinking maybe a wire got pinched in the swing away tounge or something. Thanks for the help.

corey
06-29-2009, 12:45 PM
The most likely culprit is your tow vehicle, check to make sure you did not blow a fuse.

TMCNo1
06-29-2009, 01:47 PM
The most likely culprit is your tow vehicle, check to make sure you did not blow a fuse.

Probably a short in the solenoid wiring on the trailer or from the back up light to the connector or a short in the connector that blew a truck fuse for the back up lights.

corey
06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Could be, she checked out fine in the shop but something could have rattled around between now and then.

MN_X_Star
06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, I checked out the truck fuses and everything seems fine. Not sure what I should do next. Are there any other things I can do to check this out? I am planning on taking it to the cabin on Wednesday night so Im kinda running out of time.

Thanks

stennes
06-30-2009, 02:48 AM
Well, I checked out the truck fuses and everything seems fine. Not sure what I should do next. Are there any other things I can do to check this out? I am planning on taking it to the cabin on Wednesday night so Im kinda running out of time.

Thanks

Pin your hitch, so the tounge wont compress, then try to backup. If it does without the brakes applying you know its electrical. If they are still locked up its the brake system itself and my guess is the master cylinder is not releasing.

Mag_Red
06-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I've had the same problem. Once it was the calipers had become so corroded that the brakes would not release. This was fixed by rebuilding the brakes. I was told that because I pull the trailer so little, the brakes do not have time to heat up and dissipate the water that gets in them from launching the boat. I think that's crap because most people launch a boat and then pull it a few hundred yards and park it. The other time it was electrical.............usually when the trailer was empty. I would go down the ramp to retrieve the boat and the trailer would "buck' so bad it would shake the truck. I finally rigged a switch inside the the truck so that I could send power to the back up lights, thus fooling the trailer to think I was reversing and activate the solenoid on the trailer...disabling the brakes. This has been so far the worst trailer I ever owned. Hope this helps..............:wavey:

x-10ron
06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
get a test light and probe the truck end of the 5 way connector on the blue wire of your trailer harness to see if your getting a reverse light at the 5way truck side of the connector. If it lights then it is in the trailer end, reconnector the trailet harness and probe at the reverse lock out solnoid to see it yout got power there. if the reverse light aren't coming on at the trailer there is an open in the circuit somewhere, do a good visual inspection of the harness, make sure there are no cut's in the harness, maybe make a jumper wire from the truck to the trailer reverse lock out to elimate the the connector