PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Bilge...Advice..

Granite_33
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Long story, so I will refine it down to corporate bullet point - eze......

#1 Looking at my boat this spring, all looked good. I noticed a bit of oil in the bilge.
#2 I considered there might be a problem, but since the engine had not been run since being winterized, I just wrote it off to some oil left in the bilge after the oil change.
#3 I checked the oil and transmission levels.....all were good.
#4 Two weeks after putting the boat in, I noticed oil in the bilge again. So I cleaned it out, but figured that oil being what it is, I would see oil and water in the bilge for a while before it is fully washed out. I dismissed it.
#5 Checked the oil and transmission levels.....all were good.
#6 Late yesterday, I opened the engine cover only to find a nasty little combo of oil and water in the bilge again.
#7 Checked the oil and transmission levels, found oil about a quart low......

So I am now trying to figure out what the h3ll is going on, since this has never happened over the course of 15 years and 3 boats.

First things first, I checked the oil drain hose and connections.....no apparent problems.....
Second, I checked the oil filter...........
Low and behold, I turned it about .75 maybe even 1 revolution to get the filter to tighten. This was tightening by hand, with my arm jammed under the engine, no wrench used.

So the question is.......

If the oil filter is able to be tightened almost 1 revolution by hand, would the filter being backed off by that much allow enough "room" for oil to seep out under operating conditions??

If not.....what other potential leak points should I be checking?

(PS, I would call the dealer to take it to them, but 2 years of servicing has left me less than satisfied and as of Wednesday July 1, they are becoming a CC dealer)

Thanks for any advice............

flipper
06-29-2009, 11:59 AM
A loose filter will leak for sure. Did the filter have oil all over it? If it still leaks after tight, take it off and make sure you don't have two seals on it. I've seen people change them and not notice the old seal stick to the engine.

JimN
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
The oil is under pressure, so....

It's not a contest to see who can tighten it most but one revolution from barely making contact isn't enough. Lube the gasket and use a wrench- tighten it until you feel a little resistance and go 3/4 to 1 turn past that. If you need, get the filter wrench that you drive with a ratchet wrench.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Same thing happend on on of my cars recently. I noticed some oil in the driveway. After some searching I got up under the car and the filter was a little loose, similar to what you described with yours. I tightened it up and haven't had any more leaks.

Granite_33
06-29-2009, 01:03 PM
A loose filter will leak for sure. Did the filter have oil all over it? If it still leaks after tight, take it off and make sure you don't have two seals on it. I've seen people change them and not notice the old seal stick to the engine.

The filter had a small line of oil from the seat to the bottom of it.

I guess I would have expected a larger streak or spray evidence in the bilge.

With the color of oil and everything in the bilge being black, its hard to tell.

Granite_33
06-29-2009, 01:14 PM
The oil is under pressure, so....

It's not a contest to see who can tighten it most but one revolution from barely making contact isn't enough. Lube the gasket and use a wrench- tighten it until you feel a little resistance and go 3/4 to 1 turn past that. If you need, get the filter wrench that you drive with a ratchet wrench.

Given the ease in turning the filter by hand and your suggestion, I am guessing that there was very little pressure on the filter gasket and it is the culprit.

For safe measure, I am going to see about a service tech taking a look at it as well.

Thanks for the advice.

bbymgr
06-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Granite,

PM at you.

Granite_33
07-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Good news, it looks like it was the oil filter being loose that caused the oil in the bilge.

I took the boat to the dealer, and being the great guys that they are, they actually steam cleaned the bilge area to get the oil residue out, then topped off the engine and ran it for a while to see if they could re-create the problem. No issues found.

NOTHING like a piece of mind that comes from working with a dealer that knows what they are doing!!