PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery, once I jumped it the alarm is going off

Lopers22
06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a 2007 X2 Mastercraft. Got it back from being winterized and the battery was dead. Once I jumped it, the alarm (buzzer) was going off. After about a minute of it not stopping I shut the boat down and took it out of the water. The boat only has about 80 hours on it and I have never had a mechanical issue with it. Any ideas?

JGMinano
06-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Is the display flashing "chk eng", but all other indicators are ok (eng temp, etc.)? I (and others on this site) have had this same issue crop up with late model X2s (mine is also an 07). Although someone will probably be along soon to explain the technical issue behind the problem, the alarm you're hearing has something to do with the fact that the battery was dead. Even though you recharged it, the alarm will continue to sound each time you start the engine until you either (1) take it back to the dealer so they can clear the error code within the boat's electronic system that is causing the alarm, or (2) get this - allow the engine to run through THREE full warm up and cool down cycles (starting the engine; allowing it to reach normal operating temp; shutting it down; and letting it cool off COMPLETELY). Don't ask my why this works...it just does.

In the meantime, you can silence the alarm temporarily by depressing and holding one of the small dashboard toggle switches (I think the "display" buttom that cycles through the depth finder, temp, hours, etc.). However, the alarm will keep coming back until you have taken one of the above-mentioned steps.

Hope this helps.

JimN
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I have a 2007 X2 Mastercraft. Got it back from being winterized and the battery was dead. Once I jumped it, the alarm (buzzer) was going off. After about a minute of it not stopping I shut the boat down and took it out of the water. The boat only has about 80 hours on it and I have never had a mechanical issue with it. Any ideas?

Don't just jump a completely discharged battery and run the motor to charge it. If the battery is completely dead or it's noticeably hard to crank the motor, use a charger. An alternator is made to maintain the charge level and supply what's needed at the time and a dead battery is a much more difficult load. Your buzzer was going off because the voltage needed to signal "normal" wasn't there. When a difficult load is presented to any power supply, the voltage will drop. Also, if the ECM sees less than about 9.6VDC, it goes into "hard reset".

Many dealers make sure the battery is disconnected and some charge it during the off-season. If yours doesn't do this, buy a float charger and keep it at home so you can have control over it's destiny because once a lead/acid battery completely discharges, it loses about 30% of it's current delivery capacity.

Lopers22
06-29-2009, 01:12 PM
If for some rason I cannot figure out how to disable the alarm right away, will it stop after a few minutes?

JimN
06-29-2009, 01:30 PM
If for some rason I cannot figure out how to disable the alarm right away, will it stop after a few minutes?

It should stop when the voltage it wants to see is available. Charging the battery is better though, because it doesn't beat the alternator into the ground.

Lopers22
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the help. Do you think I should just buy a new battery? My only worry is I am heading out of town this weekend with the boat and last thing I want is for this battery to be an issue. Or do you think charging it will do the trick?

JimN
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the help. Do you think I should just buy a new battery? My only worry is I am heading out of town this weekend with the boat and last thing I want is for this battery to be an issue. Or do you think charging it will do the trick?

A charger with the ability to do a float charge isn't terribly expensive and if you already have a regular charger, you can buy a float charger for about $25. If you really want to know the state of the battery, have it tested. That will keep you from buying one if it's not needed.

I just replaced my battery (just wouldn't crank one morning) and it was only a couple of years old. 700CCA from WalMart, $75. They put a sticker on the top so if it needs replacing during the first three years and you don't have the receipt, they just replace it. After three years, they pro-rate.

Lopers22
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM
$75 for a new battery and to not worry about it at all is worth it. Thanks for the advice everyone. I called around to three shops and none of them were very helpful, it's nice to have a forum like this as a resource.

bobx1
06-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Mine did the same thing (07-X1-RTP). I heard there was a number of times you had to cycle (engine on/off) before it would reset.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30149&highlight=alarm

At the end of the following thread, GW Powell explains an alarm reset option on his 197.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18159&highlight=alarm

Lopers22
06-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Alright, last question, I promise. I live about 50 minutes away from the lake. So I am buying a new battery after work, any idea if there is a way I can install the battery, which is easy, and then test this all out to see if this is the issue, rather than drive all the way to the lake to drop it in? When I got the jump start on Sunday, the motor fired up nicely, it was just the alarm issue.
So long story short, any way I can test this out in my drive way rather than hit the lake an hour away to find out I am in the same boat (no pun intended)?
Thanks guys !!!

brucemac
06-29-2009, 05:01 PM
call around or take it to a napa, shucks, autozone, etc. they'll test the battery for free.

bobx1
06-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Make sure you have a fresh or fully charged battery then put it on Fake-a-lake and turn on/off 10 times and see if it goes away. You may also be able to cycle on/off without cranking the engine and that may reset the alarm. If the alarm still sounds after a fresh battery and re-cycle, then it is probably dealer time.

Also make SURE you have tight connections at your battery post.

JimN
06-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Alright, last question, I promise. I live about 50 minutes away from the lake. So I am buying a new battery after work, any idea if there is a way I can install the battery, which is easy, and then test this all out to see if this is the issue, rather than drive all the way to the lake to drop it in? When I got the jump start on Sunday, the motor fired up nicely, it was just the alarm issue.
So long story short, any way I can test this out in my drive way rather than hit the lake an hour away to find out I am in the same boat (no pun intended)?
Thanks guys !!!

If you want to make sure you don't have a drain (which I would recommend anyway), get a test light (the kind with a bulb), remove one battery cable from the battery and connect the light from the cable to the battery post. If it lights dimly, you have a slight draw and if it's bright, you have a major draw. In order, check the storage compartment light and stereo. If you pull those fuses and it stays the same, remove the charging lead from the alternator. If it goes away from doing that, your alternator needs a new bridge rectifier (not particularly major).

Any auto parts store will have a test light and if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can buy them by the dozen for a low price.

JimN
06-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Sometimes, it's possible to clear non-scan MIL illimunation by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes.