PDA

View Full Version : 2 prop questions????

captain planet
06-29-2009, 10:21 AM
When I was out footin' yesterday with one of the guys at our boat club yesterday we started talking about props. He has a 1994 Sport Nautique with a 3 blade. He was talking about having his prop "retuned" this winter. I asked why. He said he was told that after years of use brass props sort of "wear out" and need to be weworked to regain thier punch. I had never heard of this before. I always figured if you haven't hit anything, don't worry about it. So is this correct?

So with this in mind after I pulled my boat yesterday I looked at my prop, because quite frankly I don't even know what prop I have on my boat. It runs great for me and I dont' think about it. So I'm looking at my prop and it is loose!!! The nut that holds it on is all the way down against the cotter pin and the prop can move on the shaft about 3/8". I kind of feel like a chode for not noticing this:o, but is has never made any noise at all. I figured you would hear it when I put it in reverse, but nothing. Anyway, is there any washer that is supposed to go between the nut and the prop?

I guess as of now I don't need to get a prop puller to pull my prop. :(

meg
06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
EXACT same thing happened to me last week-not quite as much play. I called MC and they said just to tighten it and there is no washer

mbpd312
06-29-2009, 10:33 AM
DITTO-- capt. sent you a PM

captain planet
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I just got to thinking, I had that new torque plate installed last year and I wonder if the dealer had to pull the shaft to replace it? I think I will call them to see.

XPC Sealman
06-29-2009, 10:46 AM
The more current models use a Nylock nut instead of the castle nut / cotter pin combo. If you are constantly taking the prop on and off you will need to replace the nut because the "lock" in the nylock does not do that good of a job over time. If you install it and never touch the prop it should be good for years.
Accelleration causes the prop to drive up on the shaft so that is a plus but I would make sure the key is not damaged. They have been known to shear, and with a loose prop it might be a great time to get a new nut and key for the shaft.

captain planet
06-29-2009, 05:21 PM
bump........