(MADE IN INDONESIA ),

and then wondered why he can't

find a good paying job

in AMERICA

AND NOW HE'S HOPING HE CAN GET HELP FROM A PRESIDENT

MADE IN KENYA

snork
06-29-2009, 09:48 AM
At least he has a car from Germany and drinks French wine.

captain planet
06-30-2009, 09:48 AM
For what it is worth:

I have read this before and saw it yesterday on here. I was thinking about this last night as I was at Lowes getting wood to build steps for my trailer at the lake. What made me think about it was I couldn't find ANY deck screws that weren't made in taiwan. It speaks volumes about what has happened to the good ol' USA. You can't even fine WOOD SCREWS that are made here anymore. But who is doing anything about it? Anybody? You read it, think about it breifly and realize how sad it is, take a sip of coffee, go the next thing and continue to practice the same consumer habits.

Wouldn't it be nice if John Smith would try to buy as much "Made in USA" as he could.

Wouldn't it be nice if John Smith said, "'F' you, if it isn't made here or I don't really need it I'm not getting it if it isn't made here."

Wouldn't it be nice if John Smith said, "well I want an electric shaver, but since they are ALL made in china I'll just get a non-electric type that IS made here instead."

Wouldn't it be nice if John Smith said, "Designer jeans are nice, but I'll buy brand X instead since they are made in the USA."

Sadly this isn't reality. Reality is John Smith wants this STUFF and he's not really concerned about what it does to the manufacturing in HIS country. Too bad John Smith doesn't have the stones to send a message and buy as little as he can the isn't made in the USA. Too bad John Smith has had to wait until now to realize what is going on....but it is too late.

Rant over. :(

CantRepeat
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Last I check the Constitution says the President must be native born, of which he was.

shepherd
06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Last I check the Constitution says the President must be native born, of which he was.

Technically, a president could be "made" in Kenya, but still be native born.

shepherd
06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
At least he has a car from Germany and drinks French wine.

American wine is better. This is a good read :D
I can't vouch for the accuracies of the details in this story but i've heard it before and a movie was made about it.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Controversies/20060517115643.html

"However, the situation dramatically changed in 1976.

That year an English wine merchant in Paris, Steven Spurrier, organized a Paris Wine Tasting. Spurrier also ran a wine school and hoped to gain publicity on the occasion of the U.S. Bicentennial. Since his livelihood depended largely on the sale of fine French wines (he sold no other), his idea was to conduct a tasting that would clearly illustrate the superiority of French wines over those of California, capitalizing on the attention California wines were receiving during the Bicentennial. But just to ensure the result he expected and wanted. Spurrier said "I thought I had it rigged for the French wines to win." 1

The jury of nine tasters consisted of the creme de la creme of France's wine tasting experts. They included famous culinary writers and the secretary general of the Association des Grands Crus Classes. * The tasting was done blind, so that none of the judges knew what was being poured.

First to be tasted were white wines. The comparison was with Chardonnay - matching the very best French Chardonnays (Burgundy) against California Chardonnays. The winner was a California Chardonnay, to the shock of all present. Third and fourth place also went to Californian Chardonnays.

The red wines were then tasted. Spurrier knew that the California white had won and panicked. Desperately hoping the French would win this round, Spurrier admits he informed the judges that not only had they chosen a Californian wine for the top prize, but that three out of four of the top whites had been Californian. Since many wine drinkers consider red wines to be of even more importance than white, the French tasters were even more determined to choose a French red for the winner this time around.

The tasting then continued. The tasters, sure they could pick out the wineries, began to make disparaging remarks about some of the "lesser quality US wines." ** When the results were unveiled a California wine had again won top honors, to the chagrin of the wine experts. One of the judges actually demanded unsuccessfully that her ballot be given back to her. "

flyingskibiker
07-01-2009, 05:03 PM
It's kind of nice in the auto industry that many vendors state weather it was made in the US or not. I bought some parts for my '68 Camaro from one vendor that lists both US and import repro parts. The price of the US made version is almost always more. But I still buy the US parts. Basically, I'm saying that many people will actually buy US (had to go back and change it to US from "American". There is South America, too....) if they have the choice.?.? At least I hope so...

For what it is worth:

I have read this before and saw it yesterday on here. I was thinking about this last night as I was at Lowes getting wood to build steps for my trailer at the lake. What made me think about it was I couldn't find ANY deck screws that weren't made in taiwan. It speaks volumes about what has happened to the good ol' USA. You can't even fine WOOD SCREWS that are made here anymore. But who is doing anything about it? Anybody? You read it, think about it breifly and realize how sad it is, take a sip of coffee, go the next thing and continue to practice the same consumer habits.

Wouldn't it be nice if John Smith would try to buy as much "Made in USA" as he could.

Wouldn't it be nice if John Smith said, "'F' you, if it isn't made here or I don't really need it I'm not getting it if it isn't made here."

Wouldn't it be nice if John Smith said, "well I want an electric shaver, but since they are ALL made in china I'll just get a non-electric type that IS made here instead."

Wouldn't it be nice if John Smith said, "Designer jeans are nice, but I'll buy brand X instead since they are made in the USA."

Sadly this isn't reality. Reality is John Smith wants this STUFF and he's not really concerned about what it does to the manufacturing in HIS country. Too bad John Smith doesn't have the stones to send a message and buy as little as he can the isn't made in the USA. Too bad John Smith has had to wait until now to realize what is going on....but it is too late.

Rant over. :(

CantRepeat
07-02-2009, 08:16 AM
What happened to this thread? I thought it had the makings of what could have been some really great discussions.