PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wheel hub leak

stennes
06-28-2009, 09:36 PM
I noticed today my trailer, had oil on the wheel, so after cleaning it up, I see its the hub that is leaking. Its on the lower 1/3 where the others are at the upper 2/3rds in the window. I dont have a manual for this but have done quite a few oil ath hubs on semis so it should be easy. First what is the easiest and best way to remove it? What are the part numbers or parts I would/will need? Oil I assume is 80/90?
Thanks

RoverGuy04
06-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Check this thread out. It should answer all of your questions! Best of luck.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26796

stennes
06-29-2009, 01:37 AM
It does, but it seems to me, mine do not look like those either, but mine is a 03. On truck ones there is a little plug in the center to fill them, how do you fill these?

RoverGuy04
06-29-2009, 02:08 AM
In order to fill the baths on the hubs which are pictured in the thread I provided, you have to remove the wheel from the trailer. Your trailer should have chrome covers that extend out over the caps for the oil baths which prevent you from seeing the fill plug. When the wheel is removed you will see a small allen bolt on the side of the hub. I had the plastic oil bath caps on my trailer and one began to leak as yours is. I replaced the O-ring, retightened it and it continued to leak after a few miles. It is really only a matter of time before they will all begin to leak which is why Reliable Tool will replace them at no cost. Over time the plastic weakens and will begin to stress fracture due to the temperature differential of the trailer being submersed into cool water after the bearings/oil has heated up from traveling X amount of miles...

stennes
06-29-2009, 10:28 AM
I understand that as to why they leak, I have never removed one from a semi that had a blown gasket, always the plastic sight. I guess I will pull the wheel off and inspect add oil and figure out how to contact Reliable.

RoverGuy04
06-29-2009, 02:42 PM
If you end up recieiving the new set of caps from Reliable, put a dab of red threadlock on them when installing. After tightening them to spec and filling with oil you should be good to go for many miles to come.

rspiecha
06-29-2009, 04:15 PM
I had a leak a while back. It ended up being the inner seal. Not hard to replace, but my brake pads were oiled up, so those had to be replaced also. A couple of months later, I replaced the plastic caps with the new aluminum style ones and no problems to date. I used the factory manual recommended Motor Oil SAE 50 oil to above the logo on the caps.

Rob