PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Trip to Alaska

Ski-me
06-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I just got back last week from a fishing trip up in Alaska.....wow what a great time! Because it's early in the summer, we were generally fishing trout but they are much bigger up there than down in the lower 48's. Some of the larger ones were 24"-26" but can get larger. I went up with my dad and 2 brothers for a wonderful experience. My dad, being from Wyoming, is still going strong at 78. :cool: He actually caught the largest one at 30". Here are some pics from the week.

We basically flew out each morning to different spots and then were picked up at the end of the day. A first class place...for sure!!

And yes, there were plenty of bears. Most of the trails we walked on were bear trails.....comforting feeling.:(

Look at the glass water.....wanted to ski but not the right time.:rolleyes:

Anyways, enjoy!

Ski-me
06-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Sorry, I don't know how to get the really big pictures displayed like Coz. Hopefully, these will do:rolleyes:

These first and second set of pictures (10 total) were shot with my brother's Canon SLR camera. Much better than my point and shoot pictures.

Ski-me
06-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Some more.....

Ski-me
06-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Lakes, lakes everywhere! There were so many huge lakes up there. You go over one and then over the hill, another one just as big.....and then another! Just amazing how much water is up there!

The waterfall area is a very popular place to watch the bears catch the salmon going upstream each fall. We were a little early for that event though.

Ski-me
06-28-2009, 11:28 AM
The first shot shows some claw marks on the side of the fish. It looks like an eagle came down and grabbed it with it's claws but it slipped out. Pretty cool.

The second shot is me.....

coz
06-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Awesome pictures and those rainbow's are beautiful :headbang:

jixxxer
06-28-2009, 11:59 AM
awesome pics! Looks like a very cool trip!

Willski
06-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Cool. I would be worrried the bears might want one of your trout when you catch it.

russlars
06-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Looks awesome! Where in Alaska were you? Been there twice and loved it. The only problem is that it spoils you from wanting to fish anywhere else!:D

Ski-me
06-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Looks awesome! Where in Alaska were you? Been there twice and loved it. The only problem is that it spoils you from wanting to fish anywhere else!:D

Flew into Anchorage then King Salmon.

Finally on one of the float planes for about 25 minutes from King Salmon.

Yea, you get spoiled. It's pretty much a "Simm's" walking advertisement up there! That's all they wear.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Looks like a wonderful trip, what a great experience for all of you to go together.

sberry3827
06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
nice beaver

flipper
06-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Looks like a great time. Thanks for all the pics

Hrkdrivr
06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
We used to live up there...I really miss it!!

Congrats, those are times you'll remember forever...

Ski-me
06-29-2009, 02:52 PM

I figured a couple of you plane guys might like the planes! I think they were 1950's or 1960's era and in mint condition. Every screw was clean and looked like it was installed yesterday. All interior, excellent and the paint job....just beautiful! They had two that were going a lot. Either hauling gear, fishermen or supplies for the lodge. They definitely get plenty of flying time each summer.

Covi
06-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Dude that's what i'm talking about. What kind of camera is being used?

Bodyshots
06-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Nice pictures Jeff :D

Ski-me
07-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Dude that's what i'm talking about. What kind of camera is being used?

The first couple sets are from my brother's Canon Rebel XTi (I'm guessing on the letters but it did have an "i" at the end).

The latter ones are from compact, point and shoot cameras.....SD800.

VOLFAN
07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Great pics! A co-worker of mine is headed to Alaska the second week of Aug. and is planning on doing some fishing!

Ski-me
07-06-2009, 01:01 PM
That sounds like a good time to go. From my understanding, the later in the summer, the better the salmon fishing becomes. When we went, only trout are in the streams. As the salmon move there way in for spawning, the rivers get overtaken and all of the trout get pushed to the side (from our guide's experience). He said the salmon get so thick that there is pretty much no room for the trout. He said it can get so thick that all you see if salmon everywhere!

Either way, your friend is going to have a blast!

Two years ago we went out of Sitka on a converted tug boat. Awesome time and brought back about 100 lbs of salmon and halibut. My wife was so sad to hear this round was "catch and release." She was really looking forward to having all that fish for the winter.....

jdeml
06-02-2011, 06:15 PM

I grew up there!!!! I miss it sooo much, but the wakeboard season just isnt the same as texas! But fishing is hands down the best

MIMC
06-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Ski-Me -

Nice shots and makes me miss Alaska as well. I went up there last August for 10 days. My cousin (also best friend) has a cabin on 22 acres about 2 miles from the Kenai River. We hit some reds that were still OK and a few silvers. I was there in between runs, but still great fishing. After the first day I was about done with catching all the pinks, they were still fun, but would rather have hooked some silvers. He's got a float boat and we drifted several different parts of Kenai. In my opinion, Alaska should be on everyone's bucket list. I hear ya about the bears, freaks ya out at times, they are everywhere! The wildlife is simply amazing - we had two moose come up to the cabin windows when we were eating dinner - simply awesome! Glad you had a great time!

MIMC

Ski-me
06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Awesome time no doubt! We are set to go up there again towards the end of July this year. I think we will still be fishing Trout but always enjoy it! The salmon come in later in the year....I guess around August/September. The guides have told us the rivers are so full you can almost walk across the back of the salmon. Must be a sight to see for sure!

My dad just turned 80 and loves it so much! I don't know how long he is going to be able to do it but I'll keep going as long as he can! Then it may be a "brother" fishing trip!

Can't wait for sure!