PDA

View Full Version : Need help with diagnosis

Scott
06-27-2009, 10:58 PM
I have the LQ9 with 358 hrs. I was sitting at boat ramp, waiting to trailer boat. I was sitting in neutral. Boat just shuts off. It won't restart. It will turn over but won't start. It wasnt running hot. I checked oil level and it was good. Is this the dreaded fuel pump deal or is it something else?? Help??:mad:

sand2snow22
06-27-2009, 11:06 PM
My guess is the fuel pump. Ever run your gas low? What year is your boat?

Scott
06-27-2009, 11:14 PM
its an 2003 tt 197. probably ran less than a quarter tank, twice, since 2004..

JimN
06-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Guessing WILL NOT REVEAL THE PROBLEM. The only way to find out what is causing it to stop running is by:

Testing for spark
Checking fuel pressure
Check for RPM signal to the ECM.

If the bow is higher than the stern, there's no chance that the pump is starved. It is possible for the crank sensors to have a problem, though.

Scott
06-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Guessing WILL NOT REVEAL THE PROBLEM. The only way to find out what is causing it to stop running is by:

Testing for spark
Checking fuel pressure
Check for RPM signal to the ECM.

If the bow is higher than the stern, there's no chance that the pump is starved. It is possible for the crank sensors to have a problem, though.

have friend, with volt meter, meeting me in morning.. maybe he can figure it out??

Scott
06-28-2009, 10:18 AM
OK, met buddy this morining. fuel pump is making noise but there is no fuel pressure.. fuel pump???

snork
06-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Damn those fuel pumps

JimN
06-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Damn those fuel pumps

They work pretty well if they're never starved for fuel.

Scott
06-28-2009, 11:13 AM
They work pretty well if they're never starved for fuel.

Jim, does it sound like the fuel pump??

JimN
06-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Jim, does it sound like the fuel pump??

It does but make sure the filter isn't clogged. Having said that, if the filter is clogged, the pump won't be long for this world.

Did you purge the gauge when you tested the pressure? If the gauge has air in the line, the fuel won't reach the gauge in sufficient quantity for a valid test, if at all.

Scott
06-28-2009, 09:02 PM
It does but make sure the filter isn't clogged. Having said that, if the filter is clogged, the pump won't be long for this world.

Did you purge the gauge when you tested the pressure? If the gauge has air in the line, the fuel won't reach the gauge in sufficient quantity for a valid test, if at all.

jim, nothing hi tech.. there is tire type valve on top of engine. he depressed valve and there was no pressure coming out of it..

JimN
06-28-2009, 10:51 PM
jim, nothing hi tech.. there is tire type valve on top of engine. he depressed valve and there was no pressure coming out of it..

Did you go to the pump to make sure the line was seated well?

Scott
06-30-2009, 06:55 AM
jim, didnt check that.. dropped it off yesterday, at mastercraft.. we will hope for the best..