PDA

View Full Version : advice needed

ogrover3
06-27-2009, 02:00 PM
i recently sold my 1991 prostar 190. on tues to be exact. the boat had been a good boat. my wife and i just felt we didnt use it enough to justify having it. besides the fact my sister has one and also a good buddy who we usually go sking with anyways. but here is the deal, we live in central fl, and after posting on craigslist received a call from a guy in jacksonville whom was interested. so not wanting to make the guy make the trip and be disappointed i was completely honest about the boat and trailer. he agreed and was still interested. so on tues evening he drove down and arrived about 930pm. was overly excited about the boat. looked it over, started out of water no test drive and decided he wanted it. gave me a bank check and took it home. the checked cleared so all is good.

thurs evening received a call while working out so didnt make it to the phone and didnt call back. he called againg on fri evening and i answered. asked him how things were going and he said not too good. he said he took out the boat and didnt make it back. the transmission went out is what he said.

i told him i had no previous problems and the last time the boat was used the trip was ended due too rain not boat malfunction. and he was not mad just calling to let me know what happened and he was disappointed. i once again assured him nothing ever led me to think the transmission had trouble.

after talking with my wife she thinks maybe we should give him a couple hundred bucks.

i called him back and said for him to get some estimates and let me know not that we will pay for it but maybe we could help him out. let me know.

so if this was your boat what whould you do? it is a 1991. and could have a problem at anytime.
and does anyone know what about does a transmission rebuild run?

any thoughts are appreciated

Jim@BAWS
06-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Tough decision...as a dealer we would have tested the boat out. A transmission can break in more that one way. If the boat does not go in fwd but goes in reverse it is probably a clutch pack. Nothing at all it could be a dampner plate. It is the plate that takes the brunt of the going in and out of gear. Could he have done this back slammng it into reverse? Possibly!!!

Clutch pack rebulid $750-$800
Dampner plate $400 or so

Just as a measure for you.

I would not offer to pay the entire bill. It was a USED boat that is for sure. Let your conscience be your guide. I know that before I was a dealer I had some issues w/ used boats and I did my best to make it at least partially right even though I did not have to.

Jim@BAWS

Chief
06-27-2009, 03:14 PM
i recently sold my 1991 prostar 190. on tues to be exact. the boat had been a good boat. my wife and i just felt we didnt use it enough to justify having it. besides the fact my sister has one and also a good buddy who we usually go sking with anyways. but here is the deal, we live in central fl, and after posting on craigslist received a call from a guy in jacksonville whom was interested. so not wanting to make the guy make the trip and be disappointed i was completely honest about the boat and trailer. he agreed and was still interested. so on tues evening he drove down and arrived about 930pm. was overly excited about the boat. looked it over, started out of water no test drive and decided he wanted it. gave me a bank check and took it home. the checked cleared so all is good.

thurs evening received a call while working out so didnt make it to the phone and didnt call back. he called againg on fri evening and i answered. asked him how things were going and he said not too good. he said he took out the boat and didnt make it back. the transmission went out is what he said.

i told him i had no previous problems and the last time the boat was used the trip was ended due too rain not boat malfunction. and he was not mad just calling to let me know what happened and he was disappointed. i once again assured him nothing ever led me to think the transmission had trouble.

after talking with my wife she thinks maybe we should give him a couple hundred bucks.

i called him back and said for him to get some estimates and let me know not that we will pay for it but maybe we could help him out. let me know.

so if this was your boat what whould you do? it is a 1991. and could have a problem at anytime.
and does anyone know what about does a transmission rebuild run?

any thoughts are appreciated

It would be a good gesture to offer him some bucks to help with the repair. He may not take it because he probably understands that used and even new stuff breaks.

I myself would give him some help in the repair.

Good luck, Like Jim said it's a tough call.

ogrover3
06-27-2009, 03:30 PM
thanks for the responses it is a tough decision just want to do the right thing

JohnE
06-27-2009, 03:35 PM
If I felt he did nothing out of the ordinary to cause the trans to fail, I'd definitely help the guy out. I guess it would have happened to you on your next trip if you hadn't sold it.

McFire
06-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I would do for him what you would expect if the sitution were reversed. For me, I would expect some level of help, particularly if you had indicated that everything worked OK. Just my opinion.

Ski-me
06-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I agree as well and probably go along with your wife's suggestion. Depending on the estimate, I would think $200-$300 would go a long way in the buyer's mind. Listen to your wife.....amazingly, they seem to have a great gut feel on these things :o (just from experience).

Another good point, put yourself in his shoes and ask what would be reasonable if the tranny went the next day after a purchase......

ogrover3
06-27-2009, 06:41 PM
i agree i should help him out
i think 200 to 300 is a good number
but if i was in the situation i would like some help but i dont think i would expect anything.
i dont know if he did anything to cause it or not, never met the guy ever
but anyways i think i will give him 200 or 300 and just be done with it
thanks for the help

snork
06-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Is he an experience inboard driver? Could be drivers error. WOT into hard reverse. Maybe his form of a Batman maneuver.:eek3:

Jim@BAWS
06-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Is he an experience inboard driver? Could be drivers error. WOT into hard reverse. Maybe his form of a Batman maneuver.:eek3:

In a POWER TURN, Batman as you call it, the engine transmission is NEVER slammed into reverse. At least by those who know how to drive it properly

Jim@BAWS

snork
06-28-2009, 09:44 PM
No Dah. Now do you get the point. Go skiing or something

SkiDog
06-28-2009, 10:30 PM
No Dah. Now do you get the point. Go skiing or something

What the hell is THAT supposed to mean? You been taking posting lessons from Footr?:D:D:D