PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lemon?????

SOCALX45
06-27-2009, 01:45 PM
So I bought my X45 august of 07 from socal skier in lake elsinore. The day we bought it they were having problems with the trailer and had to replace the cylinder in the front of the trailer (no idea what its called). A few months down the road the brakes would lock up once in awhile while i towed it to the lake, about a ten minute drive. It gets to the point where ive backed down into the water and steam has come up from the wheels and everytime we pull up to the ramp my brakes are sizzling and smellin like brakes! Its been in the shop a few times now for the brakes, they have replaced the brakes since they were so wore down.

Last summer we took the boat to the river and one of our caps to the wheel bearings busted. We were told we were lucky it didnt totally leak out and freeze on us. The shop at the river told us it was because of the heat from our brakes??? We took it back to socal skier and they said the brakes were fine and gave us this large screw to place in a hole to disengage the breaks????? So we have been driving around with no brakes which i dont like the idea of. Well the screw fell out and the brakes have been locking up again. I just got back from takin it back to them...im supposed to be goin to the river again july 6th and dont really trust the damn trailer.

How many times do i need to take it in before i can say look this aint working out give me a new trailer???

Thanks for any advice...I am getting so frustrated. Im just afraid one of these days im going to get stranded in the middle of the desert.

JohnE
06-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Something is wrong, but you don't need a new trailer. The brakes are actuated by the trailer surging forward. The screw you put in keep this from happening. Something is causing the brakes to grab when they shouldn't. Is the hitch the right height? I wonder if too low a hitch could make this happen.

I really don't know a lot about this, but a lot of people here do. I assume socal skier is a dealer? If so they need to make this right for you.

Andyg
06-27-2009, 04:16 PM
You say they replaced the brakes because they were so worn down. Did they replace the break calipers or just the pads? If they haven't replaced the calipers yet I would be willing to bet that is your problem. On my 2008 197 trailer my calipers would stay closed and not release when the surge actuator released. This caused my brakes to drag on thr rotors. My local dealer replaced the calipers and I haven't had a problem since.

TMCNo1
06-27-2009, 04:48 PM
It's not necessarily a bad trailer, but components installed on/in it, how they are installed and how they are/have been maintained, repaired and inspected by competent persons that know the system and how it works.
Maybe you weren't totally informed by the dealer as to what all they actually changed the first time and by whom, but a bad shock absorber in the actuator assembly will cause the brakes to randomly engage, lock up and overheat the hub rotor assembly, bearings, spindle, calipers, seals, hub cover and if they just changed the master cylinder only, then 1000 master cylinders won't change it if the shock is bad and not changed out too. If the dealer gave you a bolt to lock up the actuator and make them non functional, they they are idiots and you are too for allowing them to do it and your not insisting the problem be resolved once and for all and your lack of attention to the bolt and allowing it to fall out causing damage again.
In this pdf, used as an example only, it will/can be similar to yours, http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs/A-60,%2075%20_%2084%20Actuator%20Maintenance.pdf, on Page #2 it shows the shock absorber I mention above.
Also, check the actuator tube that is welded to the trailer tongue, that the actuator is actually installed in, to be sure it had not been previously jackknifed or somehow bent and putting the actuator in a bind, preventing it from engaging and disengaging properly and smoothly and make sure the assembly is greased sufficiently to help it operate freely. Check the fluid level and ALL the brake lines, soft and hard lines, to be sure none are crimped, mashed or somehow damaged.

SOCALX45
06-27-2009, 07:17 PM
TMC...Thanks for the advice and calling me an idot. Sorry we all cant be a know-it-all like yourself. When the "experts" at the dealership tell me something i take what they say to heart since im definitly not an expert in the field. So when they said its all fixed i assume it is until it happens again. Also i didnt mention in my first post i used the bolt when backing, they said to use at as a lockout??

TMCNo1
06-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Did you hear about the guy who robbed a bank, went on to buy a new car with the red dyed money, ran out of gas in front of a cop, got arrested and blamed the bank teller that put the red dye packet in the money bag for the car running out of gas?

Ski-me
06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
We took it back to socal skier and they said the brakes were fine and gave us this large screw to place in a hole to disengage the breaks????? So we have been driving around with no brakes which i dont like the idea of. Well the screw fell out and the brakes have been locking up again.

From what I can tell from your original post......you were driving around with a bolt in (no brakes) on purpose. Not just for backing up. Disabling the brakes while driving forward is not a solution and you need to go back to the dealer to get it fixed correctly. I would find it hard to believe you are heating up the brakes so much going in reverse. Perhaps you need a new master cylinder??!?

Sodar
06-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Let me apologize for TMC... he gets a bit feisty at times!

SoCal... all the things mentioned here are great suggestions. I looked back at a pic you posted of the boat and truck, and the trailer looks level, so all should be well there.

I would ask them to bleed the brakes, also. Could be air in the lines. If you are getting a lot of play in the actuator (a big jolt while taking off from a stop).

Who at Cali Skier did you buy the boat from? Maybe you can go straight to Cardoni or Sacks and ask for some help.

If you are having this many problems, I agree with the guys that all the components should be swapped out. The braking systems on there trailers is really simple and there is really not much to them. Simple matter of a Surge Actuator (the tongue) and 4 disc brakes. If they have already swapped out the actuator, I would look to the calipers. Maybe they are just not releasing the way they should.

I agree with you 100%, Cali Skier should never tell you to block out the brakes! Are they going to pic up the damages when you rear-end someone?!?!?!

Good Luck with all this. If you cannot get Cali Skier to step up, PM me for some alternatives. The component manufacturer (Reliable) has been known to be very accommodating.

Also, I do not know the circumstances behind the blow bearing cap, but when going down steep grades (Cajon or Indio), you have really got to use your brakes sparingly because dragging the brakes down the whole grade can get them fire hot. I try to over exaggerate my braking, then give a little tap of the gas again to get the trailer brakes free rolling again. You can feel the tongue pop back out.

SOCALX45
06-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks Sodar...its just frustrating when i have taking this in now 6 times and each time they say...oh we checked them and they are fine...then a month later they start doing it again. I'm just hoping i dont have to pay for anything this time because i think the warranty is done, maybe not. But i do have a record showing i have been there several times to get this problem fixed. I'm just going to wait to see what they say this time and if they say they couldnt find the problem ill ask them to replace the calipers.

yeah cardoni sold us the boat. He's a cool guy.

SOCALX45
06-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Did you hear about the guy who robbed a bank, went on to buy a new car with the red dyed money, ran out of gas in front of a cop, got arrested and blamed the bank teller that put the red dye packet in the money bag for the car running out of gas?

COUGH COUGH...........CRICKET SOUNDS............................................ ....:noface:

Must be nice to have a job where you have the time to post 20,000+ times on the forum!

bigmac
06-27-2009, 09:39 PM
COUGH COUGH...........CRICKET SOUNDS............................................ ....:noface:

Must be nice to have a job where you have the time to post 20,000+ times on the forum!

I believe No. 1 is retired and has earned the time necessary for those 20,000 posts.

Name-calling aside, you should listen to him, Flounder -- he's pre-med.

ChrisConn Inc.
06-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Like you, I bought an 07 x45 from the same guys in Elsinore. I just had my third blowout this last week. I've also had many little issues with my boat from switches not working to leaking rudder rods and a bunch of other stuff. I do think that this boat was well designed but there is just way to many little problems to have. My buddy who bought a $60,000 Bu hasn't had as many issues as my $90,000 MC! I'm not saying I should have gone with the Bu, but it's freaking embarrassing to always have some little thing go out when we're out together.

Frankly, I'm P.O. that my boat spends more time in the shop than on the water.

Good luck with your issues!
Tony

woftam
06-27-2009, 10:58 PM
I believe No. 1 is retired and has earned the time necessary for those 20,000 posts.

Don't know why #1 called you a name? He usually doesn't resort to name calling and otherwise offers good advise in his post.

TMCNo1
06-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Don't know why #1 called you a name? He usually doesn't resort to name calling and otherwise offers good advise in his post.

Sorry to everyone here on Team Talk and SOCALX45 for resorting to using the the wrong word in my response, I should have used the word "Expert" instead, I apologize.

SOCALX45
06-28-2009, 03:01 AM

Sorry I dont bow down to the kings of this forum....anyone can be pre-med dont mean anything.

FrankSchwab
06-28-2009, 03:54 AM
SoCal -
I don't understand the response you're getting from several well-respected members of this forum. Definitely on the rag or something.

Anyone should be able to stand up and say "I'm not a gearhead; I'm relying on my dealer for maintenance and diagnostics, to keep my boat a happy experience". That would be a perfectly acceptable statement from anyone buying a $90000 car, and is certainly the implied expectation of all of the dealers who frequent this forum and whose answer to most situations is "Call your dealer".

Well, here's a Mastercraft owner who's done that, and gotten nowhere. His problem sounds as bad today as it was when he took delivery. Without becoming intimately familiar with all the arcane hardware bits of a marine trailer, how does he get out from under this problem?

I don't have an answer for you, SoCal. I'm too cheap to have (or ever expect to have) a relationship with a dealer that involves an expectation of "I bought this here; now fix it". There have been a number of situations in the past where the suggestion was calling MasterCraft Customer Service and explaining your situation, and asking them to intercede on your part with the dealer. I don't know the general success of this plan, but at this point it can't help. Some of the advice you seem to be getting from your dealer is completely unacceptable. Mastercraft corporate needs to know what you're going through, and have the opportunity to help.

Just my $0.02.

/frank

/frank

bigmac
06-28-2009, 09:09 AM
MasterCraft's trailers have been problematic, mainly relative to the add-on parts, axles and brakes. These issue seem to have peaked around the 2002-2005 trailer years, at which time I think MC changed their OEM supplier.

I don't have a solution either, but I've certainly seen a lot of posts, here and on mymastercraft.com forums, on problems with locking brakes. Most have had their problems resolved AFAIK, but I think it requires some equipment replacment.

This person's problems seem to be exacerbated by a relative lack of dealer resonse and I agree that calling MasterCraft is in order to take the problem up the chain.

bigmac
06-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Sorry I dont bow down to the kings of this forum....anyone can be pre-med dont mean anything.

True enough.

rgardjr1
06-28-2009, 09:39 AM

D-Day: Hey, quit your blubberin'. When I get through with this baby you won't even recognize it.
Otter: Flounder, you can't spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes! You f'd up - you trusted us! Hey, make the best of it! Maybe we can help.
Flounder: [crying] That's easy for you to say! What am I going to tell Fred?
Otter: I'll tell you what. We'll tell Fred you were doing a great job taking care of his car, but you parked it out back last night and in the morning, it was gone. We report it to the police, your brother's insurance company buys him a new car. D-Day takes care of the wreck.
Flounder: Will that work?
Otter: Hey, it's gotta work better than the truth.
Bluto: [thrusting six-pack into Flounder's hands] My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Otter: Better listen to him, Flounder, he's in pre-med.
D-Day: [firing up blow-torch] There you go now, just leave everything to me.

snork
06-28-2009, 12:15 PM
rgardjr1, thanks for clearing it up, it all makes sense now, but who is D-Day

bigmac
06-28-2009, 01:02 PM
rgardjr1, thanks for clearing it up, it all makes sense now, but who is D-Day

http://www.tigersweat.com/movies/animal/house10.wav

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/

D-Day....

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/galleries/photos/28009.jpg

FrankSchwab
06-28-2009, 03:38 PM
but at this point it can't help.
/frank

Let's rewrite that as "but at this point it can't hurt", shall we?

TMCNo1
06-29-2009, 12:56 PM
In the process of asking some other questions of Mastercraft Customer Service this am, I questioned them about this owners problems and they said, "You got to be kidding me, you mean he still doesn't have brakes on a two year old X-45, that's a lot of boat to stop!". As soon as the first repairs @ purchase didn't work and the dealer could/didn't succeed in correcting the issue, they should have contacted MasterCraft Customer Service using the dealer toll free phone number, consulted and got them involved to rectify the problem once and for all. As for the calipers being the bad ones, this trailer has the new updated calipers that are not problematic.
I told them that the owner would hopefully get back with the dealer after most everyone had told him he needed to and the dealer needed to get MasterCraft involved to get this gentleman some brakes.
I have also sent a email to the MC CS rep with his post links for him to read and react to if necessary.

I have received confirmation of their receipt of my email and are checking into the situation.

SOCALX45
07-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Sorry for the delay...my daughter was born July 1st.....

So my boat sat in the shop for 2 weeks..i took it in on a saturday. As i pulled into the shop the brakes were sizzling so i was like great now they know there is a problem..
i called the shop tuesday,wednesday, thursday, and friday for status. Could not get a hold of anyone. left messages everytime i called. nothing. I left out of town for a few days. got back on friday. They left a message on tuesday saying that they were trying to contact me all week but my number was disconnect...BS???. anyways they said they couldnt find anything wrong and the brakes are fine and to come pick it up. I was mad. so yesterday (saturday) i picked it up. I said they need to call mastercraft or i will. They said they did and mastercraft had no answers. They told me they lifted the trailer up on a forklift and spun the tires and it was fine..it seemed to me thats all they did. I said well it doesnt happen all the time that wouldnt prove anything.. they just kinda shrugged their shoulders and said sorry we had to lay off a bunch of people so now we are over worked and under loved???? they didnt charge me anything. so now my brakes are the same and im supposed to go to the river Aug 5. I would like to get this problem solved.

Please any help you be greatly appreciated

dummy
07-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I know you're asking for help, but the best help I can offer is to take it somewhere other than Cal Skier. And, yes - I realize you can't really take it to another dealer with malfunctioning brakes. Buncha ***-hats in my opinion. They only got my boat fixed after I got in touch with Mastercraft Customer service. Bunch of scratches in the gel coat, mars on the vinyl, etc. My boat works now, but I'll take it to the Malibu dealer, fix it myself, or tow in a couple hundred miles to a different Mastercraft dealer before I take it back to them.

Congrats on the new kiddo.

dummy
07-12-2009, 12:59 PM
One other thing - what's your tow vehicle and what type of plug are you using for the wiring connector? Most tow packages nowadays include a flat 4-pin and a round 7-pin wiring connection, but European vehicle like VW Toureg and others can require some messing with to get the wiring to work right. The turn signals are separate from the brake lights and require a convertor to be wired in to get everything functioning correctly.

Your trailer should be a flat 5-pin connector (at least mine is). If you run a 5-pin to 4-pin connector you lose the backup lamp connection to the trailer. If you're running a 5-pin to 7-pin adapter, you're maintaining the backup lamp connection (center pin on the 7-pin setup).

As I understand it, if you don't have the electric connections hooked up properly, the trailer brakes stay locked up. I was told it's a safety thing to help keep the trailer from rolling when not connected to a vehicle. Probably bunk, but that's what I've been led to believe.

I don't know what's going on with your trailer, but I'd lay dollars to dimes it's electrical.

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Screw the dealer and MC and take it to a really good trailer shop and have it fixed, pay them and go on down the road. At every chance you get let everyone know where not to buy a boat.

I had to do that with my boat with many other issues.

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry for the delay...my daughter was born July 1st.....

So my boat sat in the shop for 2 weeks..i took it in on a saturday. As i pulled into the shop the brakes were sizzling so i was like great now they know there is a problem..
i called the shop tuesday,wednesday, thursday, and friday for status. Could not get a hold of anyone. left messages everytime i called. nothing. I left out of town for a few days. got back on friday. They left a message on tuesday saying that they were trying to contact me all week but my number was disconnect...BS???. anyways they said they couldnt find anything wrong and the brakes are fine and to come pick it up. I was mad. so yesterday (saturday) i picked it up. I said they need to call mastercraft or i will. They said they did and mastercraft had no answers. They told me they lifted the trailer up on a forklift and spun the tires and it was fine..it seemed to me thats all they did. I said well it doesnt happen all the time that wouldnt prove anything.. they just kinda shrugged their shoulders and said sorry we had to lay off a bunch of people so now we are over worked and under loved???? they didnt charge me anything. so now my brakes are the same and im supposed to go to the river Aug 5. I would like to get this problem solved.

Please any help you be greatly appreciated

I replied to your pm and need you to sent me the info asap!

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
One other thing - what's your tow vehicle and what type of plug are you using for the wiring connector? Most tow packages nowadays include a flat 4-pin and a round 7-pin wiring connection, but European vehicle like VW Toureg and others can require some messing with to get the wiring to work right. The turn signals are separate from the brake lights and require a convertor to be wired in to get everything functioning correctly.

Your trailer should be a flat 5-pin connector (at least mine is). If you run a 5-pin to 4-pin connector you lose the backup lamp connection to the trailer. If you're running a 5-pin to 7-pin adapter, you're maintaining the backup lamp connection (center pin on the 7-pin setup).

As I understand it, if you don't have the electric connections hooked up properly, the trailer brakes stay locked up. I was told it's a safety thing to help keep the trailer from rolling when not connected to a vehicle. Probably bunk, but that's what I've been led to believe.

I don't know what's going on with your trailer, but I'd lay dollars to dimes it's electrical.

Sorry, but any type of electrical 12v current, even if it's wired wrong to the back up solenoid, would open the solenoid and make the master cylinder inoperable and he would have no brakes, not engaged brakes. Maybe if the brakes were electrical drum brakes and it was wired wrong, the brakes might engage, (I know very little about electric brakes), but with hydraulic surge drum or disc brakes with the back up solenoid that's not possible for the solenoid to lock up the brakes with power supplied to it.
The master cylinder is either sticking/dragging/binding in the engaged position or the calipers are staying engaged and not releasing from the hub/rotor assembly. As I previously stated, there could be a visible or hidden kink in a/brake lines that will allow pressure to be applied to the calipers after several actuator movements, yet will not let it leak down quickly enough to release the brakes on demand, causing the calipers to stay engaged on the rotor and causing them to drag and overheat.
The way I see it, the dealer needs to hook it up to a their tow vehicle and the owners tow vehicle, drive it around and observe how the actuator is working (engaging/releasing) and see the same for the calipers. Lifting the trailer up and turning the wheels will not replicate the heating problem after it has been disconnected fro the tow vehicle, set, cooled down, like real world driving down the highway.

D3skier
07-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I replied to your pm and need you to sent me the info asap!

looks like Harold is going to be the mediator in this one and get this resolved for you from MC

way to go Harold!!!

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 03:48 PM
looks like Harold is going to be the mediator in this one and get this resolved for you from MC

way to go Harold!!!

I may have to pack a bag and my tool box and go do the dealer's job!:rolleyes:

D3skier
07-12-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm sure MC will pay for your expenses

Covi
07-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I may have to pack a bag and my tool box and go do the dealer's job!:rolleyes:

Harold, way to go. Thanks for helping out one of our fellow MC owners. I'm a firm believer in dealerships. But, if they can't get it straight and are selling a load of lip service then my philosophy is move on! I had a similar problem with my local Yamaha dealer. I wish you road dirt bikes!!!!! I needed someone like you on my side.

While I'm at it I'll do a little dealer bashing. Roadside marine in Williston VT. SUCKS!!!!

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm sure MC will pay for your expenses

The expenses will be covered by the stimulas money Team Talk received!:rolleyes::D

SOCALX45
08-16-2009, 04:02 AM
so I have been in a battle with mastercraft...Spoke to one of their representatives about my trailer brake problems. They said my ball height is to low. I measured it and it was 17.5 inches hooked up. I dont believe that a trailer could be this sensitive. I brought my trailer into a boat shop my dad has been taking his bayliner in over 20 years. The guy said i had kodiak calipers. He also said mastercraft was having trouble with them so in 07 switch calipers and i dont remember the name of the new ones. My X45 is an 07. Should i call mastercraft back and ask them if i can get the kodiaks replaced?????

MotoCraft08
08-16-2009, 04:35 AM
Just in case... do you fold the tongue when storing? If so, double check to be sure the lines don't get kinked/pinched when you fold it back in place. I've made this mistake before.

JimN
08-16-2009, 07:40 AM
so I have been in a battle with mastercraft...Spoke to one of their representatives about my trailer brake problems. They said my ball height is to low. I measured it and it was 17.5 inches hooked up. I dont believe that a trailer could be this sensitive. I brought my trailer into a boat shop my dad has been taking his bayliner in over 20 years. The guy said i had kodiak calipers. He also said mastercraft was having trouble with them so in 07 switch calipers and i dont remember the name of the new ones. My X45 is an 07. Should i call mastercraft back and ask them if i can get the kodiaks replaced?????

Has California Skier bled the brakes or just stood there, looking at it? It's not the first time they've been unable to fix something and it won't be the last.

FYI- if you teed off on the MC rep as soon as they picked up the phone, it won't get the action you want. I'm not saying you did but I see it as a possibility from the tone of some of your posts.

If the brakes haven't been bled, it's possible that air in the calipers is causing this and any time brakes get as hot as you say, the fluid boils, breaking it down and creating other problems. You also said that you trust your dealer. This is a nice theory but doesn't always work in practice, especially with some dealers who have "great guys" as salesmen or owners. The advice you have gotten here is better than what the dealer has told you, so I think it's time to let them know that you have a problem with the way they have handled your brake issues. They seem to be acting like it's a decal that sometimes flaps in the wind but if the worst happens, your safety is at risk and they need to realize this.

If you can, try a different draw bar that's a couple of inches higher. It can't hurt unless the tongue is already as high as your vehicle can take for some other reason.

If Chuck is still the only owner, I would get in his ear about this. If I was him, I would be really tired of people complaining about the service department and if I was MC, I would be, too. Wait- what am I saying? When I talked with MC about Cali Skier in early '99, they were already tired of hearing about them.

coz
08-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Screw the dealer and MC.

Wait, Woah, Hold on, W T F!!!!! did I just read this right............this from Mr. Don't talk bad about dealers or mc here.........:eek3:......time are a changing :D

TMCNo1
08-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Wait, Woah, Hold on, W T F!!!!! did I just read this right............this from Mr. Don't talk bad about dealers or mc here.........:eek3:......time are a changing :D
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

JohnE
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Times ain't a changin. If you'd stop posting pics of yourself trying to look cool long enough to read a little on here, you'd see that TX has had plenty bad to say about MC. Just ask TTAdmin. He's just also had plenty good to say.

Insert obligatory coz pic now......:rolleyes:

coz
08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Times ain't a changin. If you'd stop posting pics of yourself trying to look cool long enough to read a little on here, you'd see that TX has had plenty bad to say about MC. Just ask TTAdmin. He's just also had plenty good to say.

Insert obligatory coz pic now......:rolleyes:

Oh brother......I should have known post master general would have something to say........:rolleyes:

Archimedes
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm really shocked the OP is taking this so well. If I were in his shoes, my boat would be sitting at the dealer by now and lawyers would be handling all discussions. No way I would tow my little X1 50 yards without brakes that were working.

Maristar210VRS
08-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Hello, I bought a 2003 Maristar 210 new and my trailer had the same issues. I couldn't go anywhere without the brakes hanging up. I burnt through two sets of calipers and pads, rotors and rims. After many visits back to the Mastercraft dealer nothing was working. Mastercraft had many problems on the calipers and kept replacing them with updated versions of the parts. They should have issued a recall, buy I don't think they ever did officially have a recall. After the fourth set, they finally got it right and everything is working properly. This is a known problem and should be covered by warranty.

SOCALX45
08-18-2009, 03:39 AM
well i talked to brian from service at cal skier. He told me he would talk to mastercraft and call me back....thats was a week ago???? so i guess ill be calling him back as usual:mad:

Dave2302
08-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm really shocked the OP is taking this so well. If I were in his shoes, my boat would be sitting at the dealer by now and lawyers would be handling all discussions. No way I would tow my little X1 50 yards without brakes that were working.

Yep, Mastercraft have to supply goods fit for the purpose, and a trailer wiv naffed brakes ain't fit for its purpose, also is probably illegal to tow it on the road wiv defective brakes.:mad:

I'd be getting a lawyer to ring MC direct and insist they supply a replacement trailer now.
Cut out the dealer, they obviously don't have a clue or couldn't care less. MC should arrange for collection delivery etc now. You have been messed about long enuf, and at your expense. Stop being so patient and give 'em hell.

Regards Dave

Sodar
08-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Brian is a good guy, but very busy and almost overworked from what I can tell. You do need to be the squeaky wheel to get his attention, but when you do, he knows his stuff and is more than willing to help out.

I had an issue a year back with a faulty alarm going off. Brian worked the issue with me in the parking lot and stuck around until about 6:30 on a Friday evening. We ended up solving the problem and I had the boat for the weekend.

As far as the trailer, there are just not enough components to go bad to justify a new trailer. A replacement of the whole braking system (we are talking everything from actuator to rotors) would only be about $1,000.

If I did not get a favorable response from Cali Skier, I would call Reliable (the braking system manufacturer). Many, including myself have had great luck with their customer service.

Dave2302
08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Brian is a good guy, but very busy and almost overworked from what I can tell. You do need to be the squeaky wheel to get his attention, but when you do, he knows his stuff and is more than willing to help out.

I had an issue a year back with a faulty alarm going off. Brian worked the issue with me in the parking lot and stuck around until about 6:30 on a Friday evening. We ended up solving the problem and I had the boat for the weekend.

As far as the trailer, there are just not enough components to go bad to justify a new trailer. A replacement of the whole braking system (we are talking everything from actuator to rotors) would only be about $1,000.

If I did not get a favorable response from Cali Skier, I would call Reliable (the braking system manufacturer). Many, including myself have had great luck with their customer service.

Well thats as maybe, but my opinion is based on the number of times this guy has had to take his rig back, and the fact that he still hasn't got it fixed. If they are overworked, get more staff.

Try using that as an excuse to the police when he's hit a line of cars up the back and someone is in hospital or worse.

Nah, it don't wash with me, they've had enuf chances to fix the trailer.....
A good brief will have MC replacing the trailer plus all incidental costs with one phone call, and this guy deserves nothing less now. ;)

Sodar
08-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Well thats as maybe, but my opinion is based on the number of times this guy has had to take his rig back, and the fact that he still hasn't got it fixed. If they are overworked, get more staff.

Try using that as an excuse to the police when he's hit a line of cars up the back and someone is in hospital or worse.

Nah, it don't wash with me, they've had enuf chances to fix the trailer.....
A good brief will have MC replacing the trailer plus all incidental costs with one phone call, and this guy deserves nothing less now. ;)

That's great, but it ain't going to fly. Just trying to base the response on reality and not fantasy land.

Dave2302
08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
That's great, but it ain't going to fly. Just trying to base the response on reality and not fantasy land.

*** :confused:

So the reality is that a Manufacturer can supply a trailer thats dangerous on the roads, repeatedly fail to fix it and then ignore the customer .....

And fantasy is that a good lawyer can't make the manufacturer replace the defective goods !!!

I'd just like to see the guy get the service he deserves

Sodar
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Your response makes no sense, but I guess perhaps that the Scottish grammar and dialect could be getting in the way. :confused:

I am not way saying that the faulty components should not be replaced. I am saying that it is not a viable option to replace the whole trailer.

The braking system should be replaced from stem to stern, but a new trailer is not likely.

Dave2302
08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Aye it maybe a wee bit of Jockish grammar lol :D, but I'm an Englishman who moved to Scotland LOL, but my London Grammar leaves a lot to be desired too lol.

Anyway, I think it maybe American and UK law thats different perhaps....

Over here I had a brand new car with a transmission problem. Went back 3 times, then had the transmission replaced,...still no good. After about 8 attempts to fix it, my solicitor("brief", "lawyer"), called Land Rover and they took the car back and gave me a Brand new one, because under UK law if something is not fit for its purpose, then the manufacturer is obliged to supply a new one. This would be even more important if my issue was a defective safety item, such as brakes, I'd have had the car replaced even sooner.

Hope I haven't offended u, like I say I expect it's just different Law ;)

Jerseydave
08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, after reading your entire thread today for the 1st time I'd say you have these options:

1) Call Reliable and request new pads, rotors, bearings, seals, calipers and hoses (yes hoses can sometimes collapse from the inside and cause calipers to not release.) Better replace the master cylinder too. (dealer should perform all of ths work for you)

2) Call MC and tell them you want a new trailer delivered to the dealership you purchased the boat from and have it swapped for your old one.

3 summer months to get this problem corrected is WAY TOO LONG! Best of luck.

(for what it's worth, both my 2003 and 2005 trailers needed all calipers replaced. Not sure if that holds true to your 2007 model. My new calipers are KODIAK)

JimN
08-18-2009, 05:43 PM
*** :confused:

So the reality is that a Manufacturer can supply a trailer thats dangerous on the roads, repeatedly fail to fix it and then ignore the customer .....

And fantasy is that a good lawyer can't make the manufacturer replace the defective goods !!!

I'd just like to see the guy get the service he deserves

This dealer isn't one of the ones to have people raving about them. They couldn't get my cousin's boat to crank consistently even after replacing three starters and batteries- that only uses three or four wires and two switches.

We have only heard one side of the story.

JimN
08-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, after reading your entire thread today for the 1st time I'd say you have these options:

1) Call Reliable and request new pads, rotors, bearings, seals, calipers and hoses (yes hoses can sometimes collapse from the inside and cause calipers to not release.) Better replace the master cylinder too. (dealer should perform all of ths work for you)

2) Call MC and tell them you want a new trailer delivered to the dealership you purchased the boat from and have it swapped for your old one.

3 summer months to get this problem corrected is WAY TOO LONG! Best of luck.

(for what it's worth, both my 2003 and 2005 trailers needed all calipers replaced. Not sure if that holds true to your 2007 model. My new calipers are KODIAK)

Where would this new trailer come from? Are the new ones exactly the same as the '07? This is a case where accessory parts have failed, for some reason. The trailer is structurally sound, so IMO, it should get new brakes and that's all.

There has to be some reason it hasn't been repaired by now. I'd be interested to see the first work order for this problem.

endl
08-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Socal I went and measured mine for you and it is about 19.5 not loaded. My guess would be that being an extra 2 full inches lower might just be part of the culprit. You could have mulitple issues but pulling a heavy boat at a downward angle is going to keep constant pressure on the actuator and keep some pressure on those brake pads. Whick would make them hot after just a couple miles. Seems to me the suggested height is 20" I read that somewhere on here I believe.

Mine sits all year long and I know the first time I hook to mine during fall and spring I half to rock the boat back and forth to get them to release and engage correctly. If the dealership is rolling the wheels without resistance then something is going wrong when you hook your vehicle to the trailer.

As far as the trailer is concerned its a nice trailer, fits the boat well and pulls and rides great. You will be pleased once you get the bugs worked out. Unfortuantly you may have to become the problem solver since there are numerous varibles to work out.

SOCALX45
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Well guys i took the advice of some and called mastercraft and gave them hell...complained up the ***....I spoke with Tommy Connor. Alll he said was can i get your email address i said sure..then he said hell figure somethings out and get back to me...I got this email a few hours later...

Lee,

After discussing your situation with involved parties we as a factory will not extend the warranty as goodwill. It is felt due to the even wear on your brake pads that the system is working correctly. As Bill pointed out we recommend towing the boat at the preferred height.

Tommy Conner

MasterCraft Boat Company

423/884/2221x1221

My opinion of mastercraft was just dropped tremendously. the customer service sucks. You try to call them out on something and they cant even fix it.
So because my brakes are locking up evening theres not a problem????? So i havent even had the boat for two years and im going on my second set of pads. And i only tow the boat mostly about 3-4 miles to the lake.

JimN
08-19-2009, 09:14 PM
You must have missed the comments about how calling someone and giving them hell isn't the best way to go about it and now it's too late to call and talk with them nicely. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't bend over backward fro anyone who reamed you a new one over the phone and they won't, either. If you gave them hell on the advice of others, it was a mistake.

The person you talked to isn't the one who designed or installed the brakes, so there was no need to give them hell. Blame the person who's at fault but deal with everyone else calmly and fairly. California Skier should have been able to fix this much sooner, so I would be more inclined to have them go to bat for you and provide any documentation that exists regarding your trailer's brake problems.

As others have posted, your tongue height seems low. Driving downhill will wear out any brake pad and if the tongue height is low, the boat will always try to push against the hitch. Gravity is the reason and you can't fight it.

Jerseydave
08-19-2009, 09:54 PM

So, try raising your ball height to 19 or 20". Take it for a nice tow about 15-20 miles, then immediately jack up each side of the trailer and spin each wheel. There should be very little drag but if there is then the problem is still there. You can also buy/borrow a raytek infrared temperature gun and check each rotor after your road test to see how hot they are getting.

Not sure what the proper tongue height should be but the trailer should ride level. Take some height measurements while it's parked on a level surface.

Got any pics of it hitched up to your tow vehicle?

SOCALX45
08-20-2009, 01:10 AM
i am actually a calm guy. Me raising hell isnt as bad as it sounds. I just explained for the fifth time to someone at mastercraft my long story and at the end i was getting upset and frustrated...thx anyways for the lecture on talking nicely to customer service people 8p

I also understand the ball height and it should be between 18-21. Mine is at 17.5 hooked up. I really dont believe .5 of an inch would cause so much of a problem. My dad has a 2500HD and his rides at 19.5 hooked up and it did it to him when he took it into the shop the last time. So i honestly dont think thats the problem.

I opened up the trailer owners manual today and no where in that book it talks about an optimum ride height??? hhmmm...Also no one at the dealer or mastercraft has answered my question....Is it normal to go through to things of brake pads in less then two years??? I mean right there has to tell you something.

I honestly think they through this whole ride height thing in so they wouldnt have to cover the 2 year warranty that is supposedly on the brakes

Heres a pic of mine

Archimedes
08-20-2009, 02:58 AM
I totally agree with you and would be pissed off, but if I were in your shoes I would have just raised the hitch up a couple of inches to see if that corrected the problem before going through all this. Why guess at whether the .5 or 2" matters. Just buy a higher hitch ball and test it out. If the problem still existed and you were getting nowhere with the dealer, I would have left the rig at the dealer and had my lawyer deal with it from there. But if you had raised the hitch first, at least you could tell them with certainty that it wasn't a height issue.

I would have tried this the first time I had a problem.

By the way, it could be camera angle, but it actually does look like your trailer is angling slightly forward in that pic. It also looks like your rear suspension is sagging under the load. Do you get pogoing in your rear suspension when you tow?

Sodar
08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree! Raise the hitch to the 19.5 or 20" that MC desires and see if it happens again. If it does, then you have a leg to stand on, if it doesn't, then you know the problem. Seems rational to play their game to get what you want. I know that their game is annoying and leaves something to be desired, but I would not give up. The squeaky wheel always gets the grease!

Good Luck!

Have you tried contacting Reliable directly? Maybe they have some info to offer...

Don't worry about JimN... he is a bit on the harsh and socially inept side at times.

JimN
08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Don't worry about JimN... he is a bit on the harsh and socially inept side at times.

How do I come across as harsh and socially inept? After reading so many of your posts, that's calling the kettle black.

Sodar
08-20-2009, 10:39 AM
How do I come across as harsh and socially inept? After reading so many of your posts, that's calling the kettle black.

Just ask Steve about it!

Yes, I am very harsh and socially inept. :rolleyes:

SOCALX45
08-25-2009, 02:45 AM
So my dad who use to be an auto mechanic took a look at the brakes today. He took one set off and the outside pad had been worn down almost all the way. The inner pad almost looked brand new. He also said the sliding pins for the calipers were un-lubricated. On the instructions on the box it shows pictures and our pads matched the picture where it described malfunctioning calipers. It also said all pins must be lubricated.
So that throws out that little letter by the mastercraft rep saying since there is even wear on the pads (i think he got that info from ca skier) there isnt a problem.????
Im wondering now if Ca skier even looked at the dang brakes. ??? So i called mastercraft and left them a voicemail regarding this because this is definitly unacceptable.

I also filed a complaint with National highway transportation Admin on the advice of my uncle who has a trucking business and hes had some trouble with his trailers and sometimes he said they get involved. So anyways well see what happens now

JohnE
08-25-2009, 08:31 AM
So my dad who use to be an auto mechanic took a look at the brakes today. He took one set off and the outside pad had been worn down almost all the way. The inner pad almost looked brand new. He also said the sliding pins for the calipers were un-lubricated. On the instructions on the box it shows pictures and our pads matched the picture where it described malfunctioning calipers. It also said all pins must be lubricated.
So that throws out that little letter by the mastercraft rep saying since there is even wear on the pads (i think he got that info from ca skier) there isnt a problem.????
Im wondering now if Ca skier even looked at the dang brakes. ??? So i called mastercraft and left them a voicemail regarding this because this is definitly unacceptable.

I also filed a complaint with National highway transportation Admin on the advice of my uncle who has a trucking business and hes had some trouble with his trailers and sometimes he said they get involved. So anyways well see what happens now

I can't imagine the NTSB would get involved in a consumer dispute. But I'd say if your dealer finds out then any chance at a cordial relationship is out the window.

SOCALX45
08-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Heres the pictures of the brake pads. Its kinda at a bad angle.

SOCALX45
08-26-2009, 07:31 PM
So i guess when you do some investigating stuff on your own and call someone out on their crap they actually fix the problem. After my message yesterday to mastercraft questioning why socal skier supposedly checked my brakes and didnt find that the pads were as bad as this and said they were fine I recieved two emails from Tommy Connor:

Lee, I am going to discuss your situation with Brian @ Cal-skier again and see what we can come up with.

Tommy

Then a few hours later:

Lee, our management has agreed to install four new calipersí and brake pads on your trailer. Please call Brian @ Cal Skier and make an appointment.

Tommy

Finally! the answer i have been looking for for four months now. Is it really this hard to get mastercraft to cover things under warranty.I have lost faith in their warranties.

erkoehler
08-26-2009, 07:37 PM
So i guess when you do some investigating stuff on your own and call someone out on their crap they actually fix the problem. After my message yesterday to mastercraft questioning why socal skier supposedly checked my brakes and didnt find that the pads were as bad as this and said they were fine I recieved two emails from Tommy Connor:

Lee, I am going to discuss your situation with Brian @ Cal-skier again and see what we can come up with.

Tommy

Then a few hours later:

Lee, our management has agreed to install four new calipersí and brake pads on your trailer. Please call Brian @ Cal Skier and make an appointment.

Tommy

Finally! the answer i have been looking for for four months now. Is it really this hard to get mastercraft to cover things under warranty.I have lost faith in their warranties.

No it is not hard to cover those items under warranty. Could have been done in a matter of hours.

JimN
08-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Tommy

Then a few hours later:

Lee, our management has agreed to install four new calipers’ and brake pads on your trailer. Please call Brian @ Cal Skier and make an appointment.

Tommy

I bet that if you had just sent photos to MC after Cali Skier said they didn't find a problem, they would have done the same as they did today. That's assuming you would have shown the service manager or Chuck the condition of the brakes before you called MC.

Sodar
08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear you got the desired result. Sorry to hear it took so much effort and that Cali Skier did not investigate the problem further. Hopefully the new set-up serves you well and your brake problems are a thing of the past...

SOCALX45
05-06-2010, 02:42 AM
I must have the worst luck......
Well after they replaced the brakes i havent really had any problems. I put a regular tow hitch on my truck and with the boat wooked up it rides about 20 3/4'' high. I even put the level on the trailer and it was about perfect.
Anyways tuesday i took it down to ca skier to get the 100hr service done on it. While on the way there the brakes started to smoke. I have never seen so much smoke (couldnt see the cars behind me). I almost almost there so i said screw im towing this thing and pulling in there with it smoking. You could definetly smell the brakes as well. So I let brian and know and he said he would take a look. Last time they didnt find anything. I am just worried because i am supposed to go to lake powell next month and dont want this to happen on the way there.

My question is I have had the brakes replaced, fixed my ride height, so what happens next? I have had this boat for over two years and have been battling with this brake problem the whole time. I dont what to do this for the next 10 years.

JimN
05-06-2010, 09:06 AM
I must have the worst luck......
Well after they replaced the brakes i havent really had any problems. I put a regular tow hitch on my truck and with the boat wooked up it rides about 20 3/4'' high. I even put the level on the trailer and it was about perfect.
Anyways tuesday i took it down to ca skier to get the 100hr service done on it. While on the way there the brakes started to smoke. I have never seen so much smoke (couldnt see the cars behind me). I almost almost there so i said screw im towing this thing and pulling in there with it smoking. You could definetly smell the brakes as well. So I let brian and know and he said he would take a look. Last time they didnt find anything. I am just worried because i am supposed to go to lake powell next month and dont want this to happen on the way there.

My question is I have had the brakes replaced, fixed my ride height, so what happens next? I have had this boat for over two years and have been battling with this brake problem the whole time. I dont what to do this for the next 10 years.

How level was the road/highway on the way there? When the brakes were worked on last time, were they bled? Any air in the calipers or lines will cause this kind of thing.

SOCALX45
05-06-2010, 09:50 AM
The road on the way was mostly highway. I hope the brakes were bled. I mean they did it so i would hope so.

JimN
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
The road on the way was mostly highway. I hope the brakes were bled. I mean they did it so i would hope so.

I would hope so too, but it's possible that they weren't. Make sure they do it this time and of you have doubts, go to a brake shop to verify it. If it turns out that air is still in the lines/calipers, send the bill to CS.

Thrall
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I didn't read thru your whole 2yr long brake saga, but did see a post about the bearing cap rusting off (:confused::confused: figure d a x45 would have oil baths, but whatever), and your brakes hanging up all the time. Sounds like alot of corrosion. I've never had air in brake lines that caused them to lock up, always causes them to not work.
Been in the salt with it? Even if you haven't, thezse newer traielrs have problems with the calipers hanging up. Has the dealer ever just took them apart and cleaned the rust off and anti-seized the bushings? That will keep the calipers from hanging up, unless the pistons are rusted, then rebuild the calipers too.

Edit: Just saw the last pic of your brake pads. Calipers are just nit floating like they should. Take them apart and grease the bushings.

Sodar
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear about this.

2 things to think about, though.

1) When you extended the swing hitch, are you certain that you did not kink the flexible brake line coming off the actuator? I accidentally kinked mine last weekend and the calipers did not release.

2) You said your brakes were replaced. Does that include the actuator, also?

dummy
05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Complete and total long-shot, but if they go through the whole system again and find no legit reason for the problem persisting have 'em check the caliper spacing on the rotor again. If it's off, check the bearing races. When you put new brakes on the pistons are depressed and the pads will go on fine, but if the hub/rotor spacing is off it'll push that outer pad into the rotor once the brakes are actuated. If they goofed somewhere during assembly and used the wrong bearing races on the inside of the hubs it could space the whole hub/rotor assembly outboard, which could be why you're burning up those outer pads. Just a thought.

Sucks they haven't gotten you a new trailer by now. I'd say you've earned one, but that's just my $0.02. Good luck, man.

06197ttlq9-footer
05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I had a similar problem. MC through the dealer had to replace the entire swing tongue and it fixed it. It wasn't lines, calipers, pads, hubs...etc. Something failed in the first part of the system.

east tx skier
05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
We had to cancel a ski outing the other day when my friend's brakes on his 2005 MC trailer starting bellowing smoke. These were new from MasterCraft and professionally installed. His boat has been back in twice since then trying to get this corrected and, thankfully, after the third trip, I think they got it solved. It's really frustrating though and I sympathize with those of you having to deal with it on your trailers whatever the cause may be.

Thrall
05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Just a suggestion for MC.
Maybe when trailers come in with brake problems they should just run them down the street to Brake Masters or Just Brakes or something.
Can't believe it would take any certified mechanic or good shadetree guy more than 1 or 2 attempts to fix a brake problem. It's not like hydraulic disk brakes are high tech.

CottagerGreg
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I had a simular problem. Turned out to be the master brake cylinder. I let it sit and get some surface rust/corrosion. As such the actuator was sticked when I applied the brake due to the trailer being so light.

I just have to remember now to coat everything after use to prevent this from happening again.

SOCALX45
05-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Well got some news from CS. They said my master cylinder was sticking. They called mastercraft and they will cover the whole thing. That makes sense since it didnt happen all the time.

broncotw
05-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Congratulations socalx45..... Sorry you had to endure all of this BS to narrow down the problematic master cylinder.... Hopefully this will end this chapter for you and you can enjoy your MasterCraft.....

Ted