PDA

View Full Version : Loose tower mounts on X-star

craig3972
06-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I noticed that my tower had more shake than usual the last time out in some rough water. Then i saw the front mounts were moving around by as much as 3/16" (damaging the gelcoat in the process). So i got out my tools last night and tightened all the mounting bolts - front and rear. Some were quite loose. The tower seems to have considerably less motion now.
My question is: how tight is too tight for the tower mount bolts? On the 2006 there is only a 1/16" thick foam rubber under the tower mount - it is essentially squashed flat. But i have seen the newer boats with 3/8" thick plastic (UHMW) under the mount. I worry that tightening them too much may cause cracks in the gelcoat (i had some repaired by factory warranty) - has anybody seen this? Is anyone else experincing such a loose tower after 350hrs?

Maybe its time for a new boat?

magnum
06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I have an 06 X-Star but the tower has not come loose , I did replace the rubber pads this year because they were starting to squeze out from under the tower mounts, I just snugged them up tight , after replacing them I am already seeing them start to move out again, I tried to order the hard plastic pads that the 07 started to have but they are not available for the 06

craig3972
06-26-2009, 04:10 PM
I have an 06 X-Star but the tower has not come loose , I did replace the rubber pads this year because they were starting to squeze out from under the tower mounts, I just snugged them up tight , after replacing them I am already seeing them start to move out again, I tried to order the hard plastic pads that the 07 started to have but they are not available for the 06

I was ready last night to put in some 1/4" plastic pads - the difficulty was the speaker and light wires that run inside the tube. I would have had to cut the wires in order to trace the pad size onto the plastic. so i got lazy and decided against it.

I did have to remove the rear speakers so i could access the nut on rear tower mount bolt ... i figured that was enough work.