PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions, Lake Powell Mussel Free

BHT
06-26-2009, 09:25 AM
There are new launch restrictions to keep
Lake Powell mussel free. http://www.lakepowell.org/

"All visitors bringing boats into Glen Canyon National Recreation Area are required to have their boat screened by a ranger. "

Has anyone been there yet and gone through the boat inspection? When you read the Quagga Mussel Alert word document it sounds like the inspection is fairly detailed. We're going next month and I'm concerned how I could prove my ballast hard tanks are dry and mussel free.

h2oskifreak
06-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Have you plug pulled and everything dry. Be prepared to speak with them about where your boat has been this year. I am unsure on the ballast tanks because I don't have them. Arrive early at the launch area because it does take time and there will be a line. If you have a group, I would recommend you get inspected as early as they open and save the whole group from the wait. Even better, if you arrive while they are still open the evening previous, then you won't be held up the next morning. I don't know their hours but I would bet the Parks Service has it online.

brucemac
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
we had the fish and game out on saturday of memorial day. they were doing the safety checks all day on every boat and the guy i got was pretty nice. he said the main reason they were out was not to write tickets, but to inform about zebra mussels and milfoil (sp?). he said that had i had out of state plates and one drop of water in my bilge, i'd be sitting there for 2 hours why they went through every inch of my boat. i've also heard some stories of folks in CA i believe who have had there day ruined from water in their boat from the previous days rides. oh, and he said that any federal, state, county or city law/fish and game officer could pull me over if i had any signs of algae on the bottom of my boat at any time driving down the road. they're pretty worried about the zebra mussles here because of the hatcheries/salmon runs along with the impact it can have on everything else. don't really know much about them, but they seem to be pretty concerned with it. he said they'll be here, it's just a matter of time.

aredub
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
I just went through my first Quagga Mussel inspection this week and it took about ten minutes. This was done at my local lake and not at Powell though. There were two boats in front of me at the time so it set us back 30 minutes. One of those boats looked liked it had just came out of the water so they ended up turning that guy around (after his complete inspection). The ranger told me that it was beneficial to have my drain plug removed prior to inspection and to make sure everything is dry both inside and out. They lifted every cushion in my boat to check for any signs of water. I’m not sure what determines what is acceptable vs. not, as this was the first time I had my boat out all season and it was bone dry. They didn’t question me about the ballast (I even have plumbed in fat sacs), but did have to answer a few questions about when and where my boat had been last. Hope this helps. Powell probably has the process dialed in better than our CA guys : )

BHT
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
After reading the info on Lake Powell's website I can see the potential problems for wakeboard boats. Plumbed in ballast systems with pumps, bags and tanks. It would really suck to drive all that way and not be able to launch your boat.

JakeM
06-26-2009, 12:17 PM
I went to Powell 3 weeks ago and had to go through the inspection. I have an 06 X30 with triple ballasts and the guy that did my inspection was great. They start by inspecting the entire exterior including trailer while you fill out a form of where your boat has been. Next they opened up all the compartements to make sure that everything was dry including the engine compartment. Then he had me remove the access cover near the driver's seat to ensure the ballasts and floor are completely dry. Obviously the key here is that EVERYTHING was COMPLETELY dry. We hit quite a bit of rain on the way down and my buddy had water near his engine compartment that leaked through his cover and they proceeded to douche his entire boat inside and out with extremely hot water. On the bright side he got all the road grime and mud washed for free :o) He honestly had probably 200 gallons drain from his plug while we sat on the boat ramp waiting for him. As everyone said, leave plenty of time to get the inspection done if you show up near the weekend. We arrived Thursday afternoon and there wasn't a wait, but the inspections for our two boats probably took a combined 30 minutes. Have fun!

Jake

TallRedRider
06-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I arrived at midnight and filled out the form, put it on the dash of my tow vehicle and put my boat in the water and docked it next to the houseboat. Never went through their inspection. This was just 2 weeks ago. Depends on individual honesty if you go through that late at night. Of course, I was able to honestly answer no to all of the questions.

I think the form is pretty clear on what is acceptable. I have Lake Mead nearby and can contaminate my boat there. But the mussels cannot live forever. Ballast tanks are completely impossible to get dry unless you wait 6 weeks or more, IMHO. But the mussels will be dead after a week in non-flowing water that is 100+ degrees. They have specificiations on how long the boat has to have been dry during the summer and I think it is a week after having been in potentially infected waters. If anyone sees a copy of the checklist you fill out, then they should post it. I am surprised that they made the guy with rainwater wash his boat down if he would honestly state that he had not been in potentially infected waters for 7-10 days (or whatever it is).

I think the pin was out of the grenade when mussels showed up in Mead. The explosion will happen, it is just a matter of time.

TallRedRider
06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
This says to let your boat dry for 2-4 days in the sun...

http://www.lakepowell.org/page_two/information/articles/Mussel/mussel.html

BHT
06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
A copy of the checklist would be helpful. Bummer about the rain for that guy, seems like they didn't believe him. My only real concern is the hard tanks in my X1.

Ski-me
06-26-2009, 02:44 PM
We have this issue now in Colorado and they have been discovered down at Pueblo Reservoir. The process for us going in and out is pretty easy....of course I don't have a ballast issue either. It is also pretty quick because the mussels are already there. If I were entering a water that does NOT have the mussels, I would expect the examination to be MUCH longer.

As a precaution after being in Pueblo, I flush the entire engine out with a hose for about 10 minutes.

My only problem......isn't there standing water inside the engine? Unless we blow out the engine completely, there will always be some type of remaining water within the boat. Even though I flushed everything, I suppose there is still a possibility for a mussel to survive...correct?!?

I'm being extra cautious because I don't want to bring any infected water up to Idaho next week. In fact, I have not put my boat in the water for 2 weeks so that any transfer possibility could be reduced....hopefully eliminated.

FrankSchwab
06-26-2009, 11:03 PM
We went through the inspection last year. Even though the boat was dry, hadn't been in the water for a week while it sat in the Phoenix sun, they still inspected with a fine tooth comb.

If there's a mussel that can survive out of the water in 115 degree temperatures for a week, then we should just write the whole waterway system off - there's no way we're going to stop them.

/frank

BHT
06-27-2009, 09:34 AM
JakeM/Go Red does the entrance to the launch ramp funnel you through the inspection area before you can back down the ramp with your boat?

BHT
06-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Just found this on the NPS website about Lake Powell.

New Launch Requirements Effective June 29, 2009.

At major launch ramps, self-certification of watercraft will no longer be an option. Your watercraft must be certified by National Park Service or select concessions staff.

Failure to display this certificate could result in a mandatory court appearance, up to 6 months in jail, and a $5000 fine.

coz
06-27-2009, 09:50 AM
If there's a mussel that can survive out of the water in 115 degree temperatures for a week, then we should just write the whole waterway system off - there's no way we're going to stop them.

/frank

No kidding Frank, I pull the plug always at the ramp and in the 25 minutes it takes to get home from Sag my boat is bone dry from the heat out here.