PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Fly-High setup- not happy

CottagerGreg
06-25-2009, 07:36 PM
So I got my fly-high sac kit for my boat and I am not crazy about the wieght setup. Seems really back heavy!

I am not even filling the stock rear tanks. I have the two sacs in the bow and belly tank filled, but the boat goes bow high and comes onto place slowly... 2 people in the boat.

I tried just putting a 440 in the walkway and one of the bow sacs overtop and the boat planes out much easier and the wake is nicer too...

Can I make the assumption that I need some lead or something in the bow?

Any advice would be great... we had boat speed up at 24 mph

xmobe
06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
had the same problem in my 07 xstar with ly6 400hp motor. You have to re-prop it to run a lot of weight. I run the Acme 1479 14.25 x 14 prop. I ran it for the first time a week ago I had nine people and the all tanks full plus 50-70% bags in the back and it pulled me out of the water faster than no weight alone with 3 people and no ballast on my old prop. NO JOKE. I had previsously had the 19" prop on there. You lose a bunch of top speed. They say only 3-4 mph, that is true if you run at 6rpm which is like redlined, if you are smart you only pull about 4-5 top endin which case your top speed is about 35mph.

When you weight the back of the boat it gives you a taller wake where as if you weight the front of the boat it will push the the point where the white water breaks over on the wake. The xstar puts out an unbelievable wake, you definatley need some weight in back if you front load it too much you dont get a good wake. The prop is a necessity for running that much weight! You can call ACME PROPS for a reccomendation on the size prop you need. You will first need to load your boat how you want it and see how many RPMs it pulls at top speed, as well how many RPMS it pulls none weighted. www.boarditup.com is offering 20% coupon code "ACME" for props which is really good considering they are $619. The owner is super friendly and shipped it to me super fast. Hope this helps.

vision
06-25-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree with Xmobe that you need to reprop.

One other suggestion. We now run less weight and get a better shaped wake by not filling any of the stock tanks. The rear stock tanks have a center of gravity too far forward. Try filling the front Fly High Sacs all the way, and fill the two rear Fly high sacs 3/4s. You should get a nice tall wake with an excellent lip (and better gas mileage). Unless you are throwing 9s, you can do anything with this wake. But either way, you will likely need to re-prop.

Eric at OJ Props is also excellent.

CottagerGreg
06-25-2009, 08:35 PM
I have a prop that should be good for this wieght.... 14.5x15.75.....

Not looking for blistering accelleration but I thought it was running too nose high...

Jerseydave
06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
So I got my fly-high sac kit for my boat and I am not crazy about the wieght setup. Seems really back heavy!

I am not even filling the stock rear tanks. I have the two sacs in the bow and belly tank filled, but the boat goes bow high and comes onto place slowly... 2 people in the boat.

I tried just putting a 440 in the walkway and one of the bow sacs overtop and the boat planes out much easier and the wake is nicer too...

Can I make the assumption that I need some lead or something in the bow?

Any advice would be great... we had boat speed up at 24 mph

Are you sure the KGB tank is full? Have you looked at it by removing the cover on the floor?
Seems to me with the fly-high front sacs and the KGB full you should be nose heavy if anything.

We run stock ballast (all 3 full) and a 750 sac in the walkway, twin 400's in the rear lockers.
Total weight around 2500#, nice wake but you must go at least 22.5-23 mph. Anything slower than that gets washed out.
Mike from MYMC says don't use the stock rear tanks, but I have not tried that yet. Very curious to see how it would be with my above setup without filling the stock rear tanks. Maybe I'll try that soon.

BTW in my opinion twin 750's in the rear lockers seems like overkill to me.

CottagerGreg
06-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Have to try it this weekend... but let me tell you....

750 in port locker, 750 on floor by rear bench, port factory ballast and centre ballast 75% full equals a nice surf wake @ 11.4 mph!

wpauling
06-26-2009, 12:22 AM
I spend this last winter working putting 2 750s in the back and 2 220s in the front and 400 lbs of lead in the front. I also have a 14.25 prop and when they are filled up... I found that it makes a wake too big for my riding level (at mid thigh level in height 22mph 75'); burns alot of gas; and takes another 8 to 15 seconds to get on plane. Top speed is 33 mph. I do fill it for some of the local advace riders to go real big, but when it try it... I get launched too high to control and yes I chicken out sometimes. Its simular to doing a double up with the boat at 19mph, but I don't think It will be the norm as I love the wake with the factory balasts filled and 5 people in the boat.

It has claimed on LF Watson thus far for one of the local riders.

VOLFAN
06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
I have the 14.25 x 14 OJ prop and my 07' XStar with MCX does fine.

Just out of being careful I would not fill up the flyhigh sacs in the rear withough filling up the stock tanks first. This is just because I think the stock in hull tank gives the floor more support for when you do fill the fly high sacs. Maybe I am way over thinking this but better safe than sorry.

jixxxer
06-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Just curious, xstars are my fav. boat btw; but doesnt it seem ironic to pay that much $$$ for a pro wakeboat and still have to add all kinds of extra sacs to it??? Or are yall just going for an insane type wake??

VOLFAN
06-26-2009, 09:24 AM
It came installed in mine. I do not need all the extra weight for my skills or the lack of skills.

I am sure it will always be that way. Push the limits and make what is great even better.

jixxxer
06-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Thats what i was thinking; I'd love to ride behind a stock xstar wake though!

EJ OJPROP
06-26-2009, 09:55 AM
had the same problem in my 07 xstar with ly6 400hp motor. You have to re-prop it to run a lot of weight. I run the Acme 1479 14.25 x 14 prop. I ran it for the first time a week ago I had nine people and the all tanks full plus 50-70% bags in the back and it pulled me out of the water faster than no weight alone with 3 people and no ballast on my old prop. NO JOKE. I had previsously had the 19" prop on there. You lose a bunch of top speed. They say only 3-4 mph, that is true if you run at 6rpm which is like redlined, if you are smart you only pull about 4-5 top endin which case your top speed is about 35mph.

When you weight the back of the boat it gives you a taller wake where as if you weight the front of the boat it will push the the point where the white water breaks over on the wake. The xstar puts out an unbelievable wake, you definatley need some weight in back if you front load it too much you dont get a good wake. The prop is a necessity for running that much weight! You can call ACME PROPS for a reccomendation on the size prop you need. You will first need to load your boat how you want it and see how many RPMs it pulls at top speed, as well how many RPMS it pulls none weighted. www.boarditup.com is offering 20% coupon code "ACME" for props which is really good considering they are $619. The owner is super friendly and shipped it to me super fast. Hope this helps.

You should try the OJ 14.75 X 15.5 XMP EDGE. Will not lose the top end that you lost with the other prop but still have the low end.

CottagerGreg
06-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Eric I have the stock 08 prop... I believe it's the one you talk about above..

This is my prop.. thank god for photobucket

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/2008%20Mastercraft%2040th%20Anniversary%20X-star/DSCN5456.jpg

corey
06-26-2009, 01:09 PM
We run the PWT ballast kit and love it. If there are only a couple of people in the boat we sometimes fill a 550lb bag in the walkway otherwise just distribute some people to the front of the boat. For a prop we run the OJ 14.25x14, I think with the added ballast this is about the best prop out there!

Jerseydave
07-03-2009, 09:19 PM
After debating this for 2 years, I disconnected my stock rear hard tanks from the system and I connected (2) 400# sacs in the rear lockers. MYMC said a while ago that eliminating the stock rear tanks will put more weight toward the rear since those tanks are so far forward (they only extend to the front of the lockers).

I'm going to try this setup sunday and see what the wake looks like. I don't need massive size for my riding ability, just want the best wake and best gas economy.

(2) rear sacs.....total 800#
front KGB tank full.....500-600# (?)
additional 750# in walkway if needed

I'll keep you posted!

Holman J.B.F
07-04-2009, 02:26 AM
You should try the OJ 14.75 X 15.5 XMP EDGE. Will not lose the top end that you lost with the other prop but still have the low end.

My buddy,s 350 MCX has the 14.75 x 15.5 on his 2009 PWT.With the Fly High X-star set completely full and 3 people in the boat. The boat won,t get out on plane,not even if i walk up front.

I,ve noticed that this 14.75X15.5 is like standard on most 2009 mastercraft boats.