PDA

View Full Version : Tune up for an 2006 mcx?

craig3972
06-25-2009, 05:41 PM
The owners manual says that i should get a tune up every 100hours. I'm guessing that means new plugs, rotor, cap.
Does anyone think that this may be a little excessive?

Jim@BAWS
06-25-2009, 05:53 PM
The owners manual says that i should get a tune up every 100hours. I'm guessing that means new plugs, rotor, cap.
Does anyone think that this may be a little excessive?

2006 MCX does not have the NEW high voltage cap.

Oil change every 50 hours
Full service every 100 Once a season or less for you guys in the great white north

Jim@BAWS

bigmac
06-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeh. I think it's excessive. I change the oil and filter yearly, impeller every few years. Keep the flame arrestor clean and oiled. Check the belts, check the hoses, check the tranny fluid. I haven't done anything to the plugs, nor have I elected to participate in the "annual tune-up". Last time I asked my dealer about it, he talked me out of it. The boat's 5 years old...maybe I'll ask him again this fall.

craig3972
06-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeh. I think it's excessive. I change the oil and filter yearly, impeller every few years. Keep the flame arrestor clean and oiled. Check the belts, check the hoses, check the tranny fluid. I haven't done anything to the plugs, nor have I elected to participate in the "annual tune-up". Last time I asked my dealer about it, he talked me out of it. The boat's 5 years old...maybe I'll ask him again this fall.

Ahh ...the sweet sound of reason. I kinda figured - but was looking for a second opinion. I was thinking that the it may be reasonable to assume that the best tune up might be running an injector cleaner thru with a tank of fuel, that would help to clean the injectors after a long winter storage.

bigmac
06-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Ahh ...the sweet sound of reason. I kinda figured - but was looking for a second opinion. I was thinking that the it may be reasonable to assume that the best tune up might be running an injector cleaner thru with a tank of fuel, that would help to clean the injectors after a long winter storage.
I think some top engine cleaner and a K&N filter maintenance kit for the flame arrestor represent a FAR more important annual service investment than a $400 tune-up for an engine that is otherwise running fine.

craig3972
06-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I think some top engine cleaner and a K&N filter maintenance kit for the flame arrestor represent a FAR more important annual service investment than a $400 tune-up for an engine that is otherwise running fine.

Bigmac you were so right - I wouldnt have even looked at that air cleaner (assuming that a boat sees no-dust conditions), but upon closer inspection the thing was filthy. I bought the kit and cleaned it up. I pulled the rotor and cap for inspection both looked slightly worn but still not warranting replacement. pulled a couple of plugs, both were nice and tan brown.

The one thing i wanted to replace was the raw water pump - but i couldnt pull the impeller out of the housing (stuck) The boat is starting its 4th season (350hrs) with that impeller and i didnt want to get stuck on the lake. i carry an extra one so hopefully i can get it out when it when the time comes.

Tomsinamerica
06-26-2009, 03:32 PM
i've always carried a spare but after replacing it as part of my service the other day, I wondered how exactly i was planning on doing it while on the water... To remove it I was leaning over the engine and it was hard work as it was... I dread to think how I'd get at it if the engine was nice and toasty? Luckily my storage place offers me a free tow if I ever break down.

Mine was pretty well 'engaged' and it took some rather extensive persuasion from a pair of needle nose pliers to finally get it off. When I did take it off it looked pretty much the same as the old one apart from the places I tore it up with the pliers. I'm buying an extractor for the next time I have this fun task...

mcskier
06-26-2009, 04:30 PM
2 paint can openers should do the trick pretty easily.

bigmac
06-26-2009, 05:03 PM
2 paint can openers should do the trick pretty easily. Paint can openers work well on a direct drive, but Tom has a V-drive.

Roonie's
06-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Paint can openers work well on a direct drive, but Tom has a V-drive.

I tried openers on my V-drive but it didn't budge with them. Had to step it up with two needle nose pliers. That did it finally. There is plenty of room back there.... the hard part is laying over the engine to access it. I think I bruised my ribs.

ttu
06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Paint can openers work well on a direct drive, but Tom has a V-drive.

this works much better for a vdrive.

bigmac
06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Correction:

Paint can openers (impeller pullers too) will work on some V-drives. Not mine.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpclearance.jpg

Roonie's
06-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Correction:

Paint can openers (impeller pullers too) will work on some V-drives. Not mine.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpclearance.jpg

Wow that is tight..... must have been a one or two year design flaw.

erkoehler
06-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Just take the mufflers out, who needs those :)