PDA

View Full Version : Barn Find...

M-Funf
06-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Thought you guys might like to see some pics of our latest "extraction". I've posted this in a couple of other places as well... My dad has been working on my cousin's old Navy jeep (Willy's) for about three years. As payment for his labor, my cousin said we could have this. We went up a couple of weeks ago and extracted this from the barn.

It's a 1950 Ford Custom Sedan. Flathead V8. Completely original, down to the plugs, wires, etc. It's got just over 21k miles on it.

The glass is all good. The upholstery is in excellent condition (seat covers are not so good, but underneath is perfect). Headliner is in excellent condition. Floor covering the the front needs replaced, rear carpet is good.

The exterior has some scratches and dents, but overall in very good condition. NO rust.

The car was parked in the barn in '83 and has been there ever since.

We filled the tires, pulled it out of the barn, and loaded it on the trailer...

Price: 1 buck.

M-Funf
06-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Last week, I went up to my dad's place and helped him get it running. He sprayed some lubricant on the generator bearings, water pump bearings. Drained and filled the oil. Flushed the coolant system and refilled. Got a new battery. That's it. The car has not been cranked over in over 26 years.

Fired up right away. A little choke for 30 seconds or so, and then it purred like new!

Some details about the car.

1950 Ford Custom Sedan.
100 HP Flathead.
6 volt positive ground electrical system with Generator.

I drove it the other day after we got tires on it. Still has the original brakes, brake lines, etc. so I took it easy.

Drives smooth and doesn't rattle. Sounds awesome!

More pics...

See the sticker on the tire???

Craig
06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
That looks like fun, good find!

What are your plans for it? Upgrading the powerplant at all? Suspension? Paint?

damaged442
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Post pics when you clean her up! That's awesome! True "barn finds" are getting harder and harder.

drylandfish
06-25-2009, 04:11 PM
My great grandfather had a red 2 door. Pretty much the same car. Fun old car to cruise around in. Keep the flathead.

M-Funf
06-25-2009, 04:55 PM
We've ordered replacement radiator hoses, original replacement plug wires, cap, rotor, etc. We're going to replace the flexible brake lines and flexible fuel lines, check/repair brakes as needed and replace the fluid. Drain and refill steering box. Drain and refill trans and radiator.

Mostly just a good service...

For the outside, I'm taking it to a paintless dent removal place next week to see if they can get the right side rear door dent out, as well as a couple of other small dents.

After that, were' just going to try to get as much rust and grime off the car as possible. We may wet sand before rubbing compound to get more of that off, we'll just have to see what it takes.

Right now, we have no plans to change anything about the car. It runs great, drives great, and looks pretty good to me.

A mechanic friend of ours has a '50 Ford 2 door. He kept the flathead, but rebuilt it with some performance parts, which really makes it scream! He also painted his and did the interior because it was in much worse shape. When he saw this one, he said "don't change a thing".

conway400
06-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Great condition. Looks great. Man, you could not leave something like that in the extreme swings in Arkansas humidity/heat/cold/critters (barn covered or not) and have it survive anywhere close to 26 years. Nice find.

454Prostar190
06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Great find, Jeff! I'm happy for you! I almost came up to that car show that was in Petaluma a few weeks ago. Next year maybe you can enter your '50!

M-Funf
06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Great find, Jeff! I'm happy for you! I almost came up to that car show that was in Petaluma a few weeks ago. Next year maybe you can enter your '50!

You must mean the "Graffiti" car show. I've been a few times. LOTS of very nice cars. I'll have the '50 there next year for sure...

This time, we just ate at a restaurant on the main street and watched all the people and cars go by...:cool:

chudson
06-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Pretty cool deal, got some pix of the willys too ?

flipper
06-26-2009, 01:46 PM
That's cool jeff. Neat car and glad to hear after all the years it fired right up

454Prostar190
06-26-2009, 01:54 PM
You must mean the "Graffiti" car show. I've been a few times. LOTS of very nice cars. I'll have the '50 there next year for sure...

This time, we just ate at a restaurant on the main street and watched all the people and cars go by...:cool:

The guys here that I work with have cars and are from up there (Petaluma, Sonoma, Glen Ellen). I showed them pictures of your find and they'll be looking for you driving around! So don't be surprised if someone that you don't know says hello and wants to talk cars! Maybe I'll have my '70 Formula 400, 4 speed going by next year! It was a good find but, had been outside for a number of years.

M-Funf
06-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Let me check...nope not here. I'll have to get back to ya on that...Nope. Don't have any. I think we're headed back up there next week to take back a wheel we don't need. I can snap some pictures then if I remember...

The guys here that I work with have cars and are from up there (Petaluma, Sonoma, Glen Ellen). I showed them pictures of your find and they'll be looking for you driving around! So don't be surprised if someone that you don't know says hello and wants to talk cars! Maybe I'll have my '70 Formula 400, 4 speed going by next year! It was a good find but, had been outside for a number of years.

Very good. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

JohnnyB
06-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Lots of bolt-on stuff for the flat head engines to add serious HP...cool!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Cool story.:cool:

M-Funf
08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Some pics from today...We removed the seat covers and the original upholstery is in such good condition we're just going to leave it.

chico
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Nice find! My first boat had a 100hp.flathead in it with a 3 speed tranny.Ran like a top once I figured out it was positive ground.

Sledge
08-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Nice work!

D3skier
08-13-2009, 01:11 AM
very nice...

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Just when you think all the barns have been cleaned out. Really cool car. Have a blast.

trickskier
08-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Looks good Jeff!!! How did you get the dent out of the passenger door?

M-Funf
08-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Looks good Jeff!!! How did you get the dent out of the passenger door?

Body shop got most of it out. There's a spot at the top where the dent came to a sort of apex that they had to sand, so there's a small bare spot, but I think it turned out great!

ski_king
08-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Very Nice!

I assume the seat belts shown in the last photos were not OEM..

jbfootin
08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Stick shift on the column? Awsome! Is that the "3 on the tree" or a four speed? My first car had a four speed on the column. Great find! I don't think I would turn that one in for the cash for clunkers!;)

M-Funf
08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Very Nice!

I assume the seat belts shown in the last photos were not OEM..

Nope. We added the lap belts. We also added the turn signals. The car was wired for them, and the gauge cluster has indicators on it, but there was no lever. We found a reproduction of the "old-school" style indicator that clamps to the steering column...better than wavin' my arm out the window...

Stick shift on the column? Awsome! Is that the "3 on the tree" or a four speed? My first car had a four speed on the column. Great find! I don't think I would turn that one in for the cash for clunkers!;)

Yup. It's a 3 on the tree. Standard "H" pattern. Shifts smooth. There was an option of "overdrive", but this doesn't have it. It would be nice. I was going about 70 on the freeway last night and it was wound up pretty good...

D3skier
08-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Nope. We added the lap belts. We also added the turn signals. The car was wired for them, and the gauge cluster has indicators on it, but there was no lever. We found a reproduction of the "old-school" style indicator that clamps to the steering column...better than wavin' my arm out the window...

Yup. It's a 3 on the tree. Standard "H" pattern. Shifts smooth. There was an option of "overdrive", but this doesn't have it. It would be nice. I was going about 70 on the freeway last night and it was wound up pretty good...

going 70 back in the days of this car was probably moonshine runnin speeds

denverd1
08-13-2009, 12:24 PM
going 70 back in the days of this car was probably moonshine runnin speeds
No kiddin! That was "hot-roddin" back in the day. But hey, runnin' shine gave us motorsports in general. Too bad the drivers don't deliver 'shine these days. :rolleyes:

Great car in great condition. Have fun with it.

TMCNo1
08-13-2009, 12:46 PM
No kiddin! That was "hot-roddin" back in the day. But hey, runnin' shine gave us motorsports in general. Too bad the drivers don't deliver 'shine these days. :rolleyes:

Don't be too sure about that and not just shine either!
A couple years back, I drank a shot of some fine moonshine from a gallon jug among about 150 other gallon jugs, out of the trunk of a restored '65 Mustang, driven by a former executive involved in NASCAR that had been picked up at the shop of a very well known racing legend.

M-Funf
08-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Sorry this took so long. Was up to pick prunes today so I got some shots. This is one of the first cars I ever drove (I was 9 at the time)

CantRepeat
08-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Is that a Kaiser sitting next to the Jeep? Looks like a fun barn to hang out in working on cars.

M-Funf
08-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Is that a Kaiser sitting next to the Jeep? Looks like a fun barn to hang out in working on cars.

Nope. He was a die hard Ford guy. It's a '35 Ford with a flathead V8. Very nice little truck...

My cousin also makes wine in that barn...

mlay
08-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Man, the old Willy's, can't beat that. I would love to own one of those. Was in Normandy 20 years ago in the town of Stainte-Mere-Eglise and there were many of those that were left and restored by locals. They really did some nice work on those jeeps.

Ric
08-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Don't be too sure about that and not just shine either!
A couple years back, I drank a shot of some fine moonshine from a gallon jug among about 150 other gallon jugs, out of the trunk of a restored '65 Mustang, driven by a former executive involved in NASCAR that had been picked up at the shop of a very well known racing legend.

cmon man, are you busting open the story on shine running nascar drivers? That's like hearing mike vick fights dogs or somethin'

:cool:

TMCNo1
08-28-2009, 08:01 PM
cmon man, are you busting open the story on shine running nascar drivers? That's like hearing mike vick fights dogs or somethin'

:cool:

And you should have seen how thick the rear springs were on the back of the Mustang!

The driver of the car, now deceased also owned a 40 Ford Coupe that had been owned and built by the same NASCAR legend that had a full blown Sprint Cup engine in it that made the trip out of the mountains many times as a street rod.

Here's an interesting story, http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/features/08/28/1.on.1.jjohnson.hof/index.html